WTF in America

Old Aug 2nd 2020, 5:27 pm
Banned

The Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America

Originally Posted by Pulaski
She speaks for rather more people than you assume to think.

For now if I were you, I would assume that you have annoyed everyone who has replied to your posts and everyone who is active on the threads you have posted on, and you won't be too far wide of the mark.

Generally the posters who do best here sir on the sidelines for a while, chipping in with an odd thought or comment, until they get into the swing of things. We don't need you to set questions or challenges for us, or in any sense to "entertain" us or "educate" us, thank you. Imagine you have walked into a pub and met a crowd of friends for the first time, you aren't gong to be the centre of attention. .... And one of your problems is that, being an American, you don't even know how a pub "works". It is nothing like any bar I have ever seen in America, not even the "Brit-pubs", which have to somewhat flex to the American market.

Oh, and I think you may have set a record for the time between a first post and the time an existing member has put you on their "ignore list" (they can't see your posts).
Alright alright alright! I'm reading you loud and clear! I'm done for the day, and maybe i'll just add one or two odd thoughts or comments a day to the discussions here from now on..

Thanks for helping me
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 5:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I completely agree with you and find this narrative total bs. However, when I read the original story, I thought I understood TJ’s response was that they’d already largely eliminated these jocular “foreign” brand-names, and it was just some older stock on the shelves that they needed to sell ... ?

On a similar vein, though, I do find some of this dumbed-down exoticism cringe-inducing. For instance, Chinese restaurants that have their name in English, but in vaguely “Chinese looking” characters. Same with some Jewish themed businesses, with the name written in Hebrew-looking characters.
I agree - very cringe-worthy. But not something that needs to be labeled racist and stamped out. I've been reading about the whole 'cancel culture' thing, and I have to say, I don't like what I'm reading. Social Media has a lot to answer for.
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 5:29 pm
Banned

The Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
that would be appreciated...if you wish to stick around.
Your wish is my command....

I'm talkin to myself now...Think before I post, Think before I post, think before I post....You dumbass Mirror!"
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 5:30 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I agree - very cringe-worthy. But not something that needs to be labeled racist and stamped out. I've been reading about the whole 'cancel culture' thing, and I have to say, I don't like what I'm reading. Social Media has a lot to answer for.

You watched Bill Maher this week, didn't you?
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 5:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

She speaks for rather more people than you assume to think.

For now if I were you, I would assume that you have annoyed everyone who has replied to your posts and everyone who is active on the threads you have posted on, and you won't be too far wide of the mark.

Generally the posters who do best here sir on the sidelines for a while, chipping in with an odd thought or comment, until they get into the swing of things. We don't need you to set questions or challenges for us, or in any sense to "entertain" us or "educate" us, thank you. Imagine you have walked into a pub and met a crowd of friends for the first time, you aren't gong to be the centre of attention. .... And one of your problems is that, being an American, you don't even know how a pub "works". It is nothing like any bar I have ever seen in America, not even the "Brit-pubs", which have to somewhat flex to the American market.

Oh, and I think you may have set a record for the time between a first post and the time an existing member has put you on their "ignore list" (they can't see your posts).
In a rare moment of self-awareness, he actually admitted that he 'can be a bit arrogant' .
Originally Posted by The Mirror
... I don't really understand where all the anger is coming from, I suppose i'm coming off as a little arrogant. I'll work on that as i'd like to be able to fit in here.

But within a few hours, he posted an utterly ridiculous story of how he recklessly flew down a street 'lower than the cars' ... presumably thinking we would be impressed by this recklessness.

Planespotting II

Last edited by Steerpike; Aug 2nd 2020 at 5:47 pm.
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 5:50 pm
Banned

In a rare moment of self-awareness, he actually admitted that he 'can be a bit arrogant' . But within a few hours, he posted an utterly ridiculous story of how he recklessly flew down a street 'lower than the cars' ... presumably thinking we would be impressed by this recklessness.

It impressed my 16 year old girlfriend at the time...and that meant everything to me because she was the prettiest girl in school, and we went to a very big school.. And she was a year older than me- Girls in high school normally date up, not down..

She's my wife now
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 6:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It impressed my 16 year old girlfriend at the time...and that meant everything to me because she was the prettiest girl in school, and we went to a very big school.. And she was a year older than me- Girls in high school normally date up, not down..

She's my wife now
Good for you!

And if BE were populated largely by 16 year-olds, I'm sure we'd be impressed too.
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 6:12 pm
Banned

Good for you!

And if BE were populated largely by 16 year-olds, I'm sure we'd be impressed too.
Ha

Good one! You got me-

I was going to add a qualifier or disclaimer to that, but I did add an "at the time" to it

My wife would not be impressed if I did something like that now.
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 6:29 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

In a rare moment of self-awareness, he actually admitted that he 'can be a bit arrogant' .

But within a few hours, he posted an utterly ridiculous story of how he recklessly flew down a street 'lower than the cars' ... presumably thinking we would be impressed by this .....
Not to mention the thinly veiled boast that he trafficked bulk quantities of cocaine from the Bahamas into Florida.

Planespotting II

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 2nd 2020 at 6:32 pm.
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 6:50 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Or the utter bullshit that a photo of (what was clearly) the Boston Red Socks logo was actually 'a pair of christmas stockings' easily be-dunked by just checking the (obvious in the picture) tail number of the aircraft.

Mirror - I can't see your posts (that's me by the way, with the ignore button), but suffice to say tone down your posts to only 80% bullshit and it will be a vast improvement
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 6:54 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, and if find something cringe-inducing or otherwise annoying I just take my business elsewhere. If the business thinks it's name, font, or marketing materials attract business then it doesn't worry me, even if it has the opposite effect on me.
while not discussing the Trader Joe's issue, the idea that any of these issues are about you, and how you feel, misses the point that any of these issues are even trying to raise. Suggesting that it be left to the democracy of the marketplace, also misses the point, it isn't about how you or I feel, as most of the time, we are not the minority, with an unheard voice.
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 7:01 pm
Banned

Not to mention the thinly veiled boast that he trafficked bulk quantities of cocaine from the Bahamas into Florida.

Planespotting II

Oh Man....

Please don't make me look in The Mirror

I'm not likin what i'm see-in right now...

Lets move on, guys....

You know what I hate in America? The commercials on TV. Way too many of them. I have DirecTV and we have to DVR anything we want to watch so we can FF through the commercials. Can't stomach them anymore- Except this one made me laugh the other day, only cause the wife is so adorable..

Old Aug 2nd 2020, 7:03 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
.... also misses the point, it isn't about how you or I feel, as most of the time, we are not the minority, with an unheard voice.
But that's precisely my point. Things such as employment, education, and government services need to be fair, but there is no "right to not be offended". If a minority of people can complain and get something stopped rely because they are offended, where does the madness end - how small a minority can complain, and for how trivial a reason? How small a tale do we allow to wag the dog?

Perhaps there is a class action lawsuit possible against the major Hollywood studios for frequently portraying criminal masterminds and psychopaths as having a British accent?
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 7:07 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by civilservant
Or the utter bullshit that a photo of (what was clearly) the Boston Red Socks logo was actually 'a pair of christmas stockings' easily be-dunked by just checking the (obvious in the picture) tail number of the aircraft.

Mirror - I can't see your posts (that's me by the way, with the ignore button), but suffice to say tone down your posts to only 80% bullshit and it will be a vast improvement
Everything I post is the truth-

....While I agree that it is probably not necessary to post all my life's greatest hits in the first week i'm here....Seems a bit desperate - I blame the beer and the fact that my wife is away house/dog sitting for one of our daughters
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 7:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Man....

Please don't make me look in The Mirror

I'm not likin what i'm see-in right now...

Lets move on, guys....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ99PcCCST4
I’m not likin what I am reading..

yeah let’s move on...bye

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.