Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Would you have come to America ...

Would you have come to America ...

Old Jul 10th 2015, 10:06 pm
Banned

Maud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you have come to America ...

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I know a Greek woman who hardly speaks a word of English. She's lived in the US for almost 60 years!
No doubt she lives in a Greek community.
Old Jul 10th 2015, 10:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maud Araminta
No doubt she lives in a Greek community.
If by "Greek community" you mean she has a Greek husband, then yes. Otherwise, no, she lives in a mixed neighborhood. She never worked in the US and relies on her husband's English to get by.
Old Jul 10th 2015, 10:18 pm
Banned

Maud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond repute

If by "Greek community" you mean she has a Greek husband, then yes. Otherwise, no, she lives in a mixed neighborhood. She never worked in the US and relies on her husband's English to get by.
Not always the best arrangement. Makes for an isolated life and an over-dependence on one's spouse.
Old Jul 10th 2015, 10:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Not always the best arrangement. Makes for an isolated life and an over-dependence on one's spouse.
Her husband is very controlling. I wouldn't be surprised if he discouraged her from learning English way back when.
Old Jul 10th 2015, 10:27 pm
Banned

Her husband is very controlling. I wouldn't be surprised if he discouraged her from learning English way back when.
My point exactly. I see this a lot here, especially when the wife is naive and much younger. She relies on her husband for everything and, eventually, is unable to think for herself.
Old Jul 10th 2015, 10:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

My point exactly. I see this a lot here, especially when the wife is naive and much younger. She relies on her husband for everything and, eventually, is unable to think for herself.
Maud I have a feeling we have met before...several times in fact. Your posting style, multiple threads in quick succession and username remind me of her. She was from Conneticut if my memory serves me well.
Old Jul 10th 2015, 10:54 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Maud I have a feeling we have met before...several times in fact. Your posting style, multiple threads in quick succession and username remind me of her. She was from Conneticut if my memory serves me well.
Am I posting too much?
Old Jul 10th 2015, 10:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Am I posting too much?
Nope. Just saying you remind me of someone and I'm not usually wrong.
Old Jul 10th 2015, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

I see this a lot here, especially when the wife is naive and much younger. She relies on her husband for everything and, eventually, is unable to think for herself.
Surely you don't mean "here" (in the States) in particular....as opposed to other countries?

Referring back to the Salvadoran woman I mentioned earlier - her illiteracy was entirely due to the fact that her father forbid her to even get a minimal education as a child.
"School isn't for girls!", he asserted.

Hence, her brothers were allowed to at least obtain a basic education while she was sent off to sew in a factory and "be useful".

Hideous domestic abuse....
Old Jul 10th 2015, 11:19 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... I'm not usually wrong.
It must be something in the water in Sheffield.
Old Jul 10th 2015, 11:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It must be something in the water in Sheffield.

I think so.

It's gone very quiet hasn't it...was it something I said?
Old Jul 10th 2015, 11:23 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Nope. Just saying you remind me of someone and I'm not usually wrong.
JG, you are so PRIM and proper and and Stirchley. .oops strictly speaking you are usually right
Old Jul 10th 2015, 11:26 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by MMcD
Surely you don't mean "here" (in the States) in particular....as opposed to other countries?

Hideous domestic abuse....
I used the word "here" because America (and England) are all I know. I didn't mean to infer that this type of abuse happens only here.

Hideous domestic abuse indeed.
Old Jul 10th 2015, 11:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
JG, you are so PRIM and proper and and Stirchley. .oops strictly speaking you are usually right
but she was from Conneticut...but wait...
Old Jul 11th 2015, 12:51 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

I would move somewhere without knowing the language, but I doubt it would have been America. Wife did move to the U.S. in her very early teens and went to school first day knowing not one word of English. She had done the same when moving to Japan a year earlier. Her father was the only one that spoke English, but he was a chief engineer at sea for 12 month trips, so the family had to get set up and get on with life in a strange language. Her mom now speaks very good, but heavily accented English. Her main confusions are on gender and tense, especially when she gets mad the 3 daughters all went thru US universities for first and second degrees, and speak very good English..for all of them it is their written English that betrays the fact that it is not their first language.

I still have a hankering to move back to the Far East, and if it happened, Taiwan would likely be the place, where English is pretty limited, as is my Chinese. We are in Taiwan at the moment, and the kids are sucking up the Mandarin like sponges. My 10 yo daughter has been elevated from youngest kid to de facto leader because she is doing so well and will jump in with both feet. The boys are more reticent. Wife is not with us for the last couple of weeks so I'd expected to be the "guide", but daughter has surpassed my limited abilities in double quick time, speaking, reading and writing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.