British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Would you have come to America ... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/would-you-have-come-america-861568/)

Jerseygirl Jul 10th 2015 7:06 pm

Re: Would you have come to America ...

Originally Posted by Maud Araminta (Post 11696553)
if you could not speak English? I definitely would not have done so. I am amazed and full of admiration for the many people who come here with limited or no English. I cannot imagine navigating through the difficulties of emigration and life here in general without English.

I thought this was going to be...'would you have come to America if you had known what you do now?'

ChocolateBabz Jul 10th 2015 7:14 pm

if you could not speak English? I definitely would not have done so. I am amazed and full of admiration for the many people who come here with limited or no English. I cannot imagine navigating through the difficulties of emigration and life here in general without English.

I don't think so, hubby way offered Norway first then Simgapore and I didn't fancy either. If I had I would have tried to learn the language as fast as possible. I have a friend who lived in Holland for several years and could barely speak a word yet her son could speak fluent Dutch - he translated for her (can't remember how old he was but under 10). She made a few friends but only ones who could speak English.

Michael Jul 10th 2015 7:18 pm

Just like the mass immigration of the Italians, Germans, Poles, Scandinavians, Yugoslavs, and others in the early 20th century, many are immigrating out of desperation.

My grandparents from both sides as well as my mother immigrated in the early 20th century and didn't speak a word of English.

Jerseygirl Jul 10th 2015 7:24 pm

Many live in their own communities and never learn to speak English. They rely on others in their community to help them. Here in Toronto my daughter works with a lady whose mother is Chinese...she has lived here for over 50 years...she can't speak English.

Maud Araminta Jul 10th 2015 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 11696554)
I thought this was going to be...'would you have come to America if you had known what you do now?'

Should we start a thread like this? I like it.

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz (Post 11696562)
I have a friend who lived in Holland for several years and could barely speak a word yet her son could speak fluent Dutch - he translated for her (can't remember how old he was but under 10). She made a few friends but only ones who could speak English.

You see that a lot here - children who become the "adults" in the family as they are the only ones able to navigate through the issues of school, medical treatments, etc.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 11696572)
my daughter works with a lady whose mother is Chinese...she has lived here for over 50 years...she can't speak English.

I see that a lot too. If you always live with your own people, I can see how you would never learn English. Chinese newspapers, stores, landlords, schools, TV, etc., etc.

Maud Araminta Jul 10th 2015 7:48 pm

Here in Toronto

So you live in Canada, not NJ? (Or maybe you are visiting there.)

Jerseygirl Jul 10th 2015 7:54 pm

When we first moved to the U.S. we lived in a new purpose built apartment building. The owner of the building and all the surrounding land for miles and miles was a Polish guy. All the workers on his properties were Polish...99% could not speak English apart from 'hi'. Many had lived in the U.S. for decades. They were all extended family or extended family of friends.

Jerseygirl Jul 10th 2015 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by Maud Araminta (Post 11696594)
So you live in Canada, not NJ? (Or maybe you are visiting there.)

We are currently spending time in Toronto...at least while the weather is warm.

MMcD Jul 10th 2015 8:02 pm

I am amazed and full of admiration for the many people who come here with limited or no English. I cannot imagine navigating through the difficulties of emigration and life here in general without English.

Many live in their own communities and never learn to speak English. They rely on others in their community to help them. Here in Toronto my daughter works with a lady whose mother is Chinese...she has lived here for over 50 years...she can't speak English.

A Salvadoran woman has worked for us for 12 years. She's actually been here since 1989. Speaks not a word of English. Furthermore .....she's illiterate in her own language...neither reads nor writes Spanish. Imagine.

And yet..her resourcefulness and relentless determination are amazing. She's had her green card for quite awhile - but citizenship is out of the question because of the above.
Nevertheless - thru her perseverance here in the States - the $$$'s she's sent back to El Salvador through the years have funded her son's education back there...right up through medical school. He's now got a prestigious position as a Doctor back in her home country.

Maud Araminta Jul 10th 2015 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 11696606)
We are currently spending time in Toronto...at least while the weather is warm.

I have heard it is very nice there.

Pulaski Jul 10th 2015 8:06 pm

Yes, because everyone should speak English! :nod:

Maud Araminta Jul 10th 2015 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by MMcD (Post 11696610)
And yet..her resourcefulness and relentless determination are amazing. She's had her green card for quite awhile - but citizenship is out of the question because of the above.
Nevertheless - thru her perseverance here in the States - the $$$'s she's sent back to El Salvador through the years have funded her son's education back there...right up through medical school. He's now got a prestigious position as a Doctor back in her home country.

Exactly the point of my OP. Citizenship is not out of the question if she speaks Spanish only (depending upon her age or how many years she has been here) but as to her being illiterate, does that preclude citizenship?

Maud Araminta Jul 10th 2015 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11696619)

Pourquoi?

Pulaski Jul 10th 2015 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by Maud Araminta (Post 11696626)
Pourquoi?

Je ne comprends pas. :p

lansbury Jul 10th 2015 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11696619)

Most of the people who live here don't speak English. They speak something an English speaker might be able to understand, but it isn't English. :rolleyes: