Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Would you have come to America ...

Would you have come to America ...

Old Jul 10th 2015, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you have come to America ...

Originally Posted by Maud Araminta
Exactly the point of my OP. Citizenship is not out of the question if she speaks Spanish only (depending upon her age or how many years she has been here) but as to her being illiterate, does that preclude citizenship?
How can she take the citizenship test, which I believe requires reading and writing, if she's unable to do either?
Old Jul 10th 2015, 8:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Most of the people who live here don't speak English. They speak something an English speaker might be able to understand, but it isn't English.
Old Jul 10th 2015, 8:22 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Most of the people who live here don't speak English. They speak something an English speaker might be able to understand, but it isn't English.
That is where English is different from, say, French. If English speakers can understand it, it's English, and it is the elasticity of English that has made it such a useful language.
Old Jul 10th 2015, 8:23 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly the point of my OP. Citizenship is not out of the question if she speaks Spanish only (depending upon her age or how many years she has been here) but as to her being illiterate, does that preclude citizenship?
If you meet the 50/20 or 55/15 exemptions (age 50, 20 years of permanent residence or age 55, 15 years of permanent residence at the time of filing), you are exempt from the English requirement, but are still required to take the civics test in your native language, and bring an interpreter to the interview.

Illiteracy may be a hindrance when it comes to studying, but not one that couldn't be overcome.
Old Jul 10th 2015, 8:25 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MMcD
How can she take the citizenship test, which I believe requires reading and writing, if she's unable to do either?
Exceptions & Accommodations.
In fact by the time i get around to citizenship, I should be able to skip the English test.

Last edited by kimilseung; Jul 10th 2015 at 8:29 pm.
Old Jul 10th 2015, 8:27 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Exceptions & Accommodations
Yep.

I forgot to mention that the test is oral anyway. I don't think I had to write anything in mine.
Old Jul 10th 2015, 8:32 pm
Banned

Maud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
If you meet the 50/20 or 55/15 exemptions (age 50, 20 years of permanent residence or age 55, 15 years of permanent residence at the time of filing), you are exempt from the English requirement, but are still required to take the civics test in your native language, and bring an interpreter to the interview.

Illiteracy may be a hindrance when it comes to studying, but not one that couldn't be overcome.
Thanks for posting that. I just could not be fagged to look for it.

There are plenty of American citizens who can neither read nor write. (Being facetious.)

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Je ne comprends pas.
Oui, vous faƮtes!

That is where English is different from, say, French. If English speakers can understand it, it's English, and it is the elasticity of English that has made it such a useful language.
How do say huh? in French?
Old Jul 10th 2015, 8:36 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... How do say huh? in French?
I thought "huh" is French, .... or at least it is if you shrug your shoulders while saying it.
Old Jul 10th 2015, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Wow!
She's 66 years old.
Has been here since '89.
Not certain when she got green card - but if she's had it for 15 years (and I think she probably has).....

.......then are you saying she would not have to demonstrate she could read or write a sentence in any language (neither Eng. nor Spanish)?
Old Jul 10th 2015, 8:37 pm
I have a comma problem

Wow!
She's 66 years old.
Has been here since '89.
Not certain when she got green card - but if she's had it for 15 years (and I think she probably has).....

.......then are you saying she would not have to demonstrate she could read or write a sentence in any language (neither Eng. nor Spanish)?
It would appear so:

Exceptions & Accommodations | USCIS

Provided she meets all the requirements listed.
Old Jul 10th 2015, 8:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

My favorite story is from my grandfather on my mother's side. He decided to immigrate first, find a job, and then send money back to my grandmother in Yugoslavia to pay for the trip for her and my mother to come to the US. In Yugoslavia it was customary for the wife to stay with his parents when he was away so my grandmother and mother stayed with his parents and worked the farm. When he arrived in the US, he found out that there were good paying jobs in the open pit mines in Northern Minnesota so he went there and got a job.

After a year, he saved enough money to bring his wife and my mother to the US and sent the money in the mail. About a month later he received a letter back saying that she isn't ready to move yet and the money was spent for necessities. This continued for 10 years with my grandfather sending money and getting a response that she was not ready to come yet. Finally my grandmother, who was illiterate, thought there was something fishy going on since each time a letter was received, my grandfather's father always said the same that "times are tough but next year I'll send the money". So each morning she waited by the mail box and when she recognized a letter from my grandfather, she took it to the local priest. In the letter it said, "I've sent you money many times but you never come and I am fed up." She then had the priest write a letter explaining that she never received any money and to send the money to the priest. The money arrived and her and my mother (then 16) immigrated.

I said to my grandfather, "I bet you were really mad at your father" and he said "no, that's just life".
Old Jul 10th 2015, 8:47 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Many live in their own communities and never learn to speak English. They rely on others in their community to help them. Here in Toronto my daughter works with a lady whose mother is Chinese...she has lived here for over 50 years...she can't speak English.
Go to Richmond near Vancouver and it's the same, lucky if the signs for businesses are in English which has ruffled some feathers. You can find people there here for decades and can't speak English.
Old Jul 10th 2015, 8:59 pm
Banned

Maud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond repute

I thought "huh" is French, .... or at least it is if you shrug your shoulders while saying it.
Only if you have a Gitanes cigarette hanging out of your mouth.

Originally Posted by Michael
My favorite story is from my grandfather on my mother's side. He decided to immigrate first, find a job, and then send money back to my grandmother in Yugoslavia to pay for the trip for her and my mother to come to the US. In Yugoslavia it was customary for the wife to stay with his parents when he was away so my grandmother and mother stayed with his parents and worked the farm. When he arrived in the US, he found out that there were good paying jobs in the open pit mines in Northern Minnesota so he went there and got a job.
Great story!
Old Jul 10th 2015, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

It would appear so:

Exceptions & Accommodations | USCIS

Provided she meets all the requirements listed.
Really helpful

Thanks for link (y muchas gracias de Erminia tambiƩn)...thanks from Erminia, as well.
I just spent time on links from your link...and it looks like maybe she could just about manage/qualify to overcome the hurdles....
Old Jul 10th 2015, 10:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I know a Greek woman who hardly speaks a word of English. She's lived in the US for almost 60 years!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.