British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   what has America allowed you to do? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/what-has-america-allowed-you-do-620651/)

AmerLisa Jul 20th 2009 4:33 pm

Re: what has America allowed you to do?

Originally Posted by Englishtart (Post 7769618)
:rofl: I'm glad she said (meant) that and not me! ;)

No I actually meant you seemed you were digging yourself into a hole talking about the sheets not his shorts.....:blink: Wait I'd have to go back and see what the heck it was all about.....:blink::blink::blink::D

Englishtart Jul 20th 2009 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by AmerLisa (Post 7769665)
No I actually meant you seemed you were digging yourself into a hole talking about the sheets not his shorts.....:blink: Wait I'd have to go back and see what the heck it was all about.....:blink::blink::blink::D

ahhhhh ok duh! I'm with you now.............I think :rofl:

Macca67 Jul 21st 2009 7:43 am

Originally Posted by made of kent (Post 7760019)
I have a garden, sorry yard that is so big I can raise a veg patch without making the rest of the garden (sorry yard!) child unfriendly, so what are you doing in the US that you couldn't in the UK?
I wanting positive stuff :rofl:

..........become a fat bastard. I used to run marathons, now I just eat them.

cranston Jul 21st 2009 9:26 am

Originally Posted by Macca67 (Post 7771899)
..........become a fat bastard. I used to run marathons, now I just eat them.

That's a great line :thumbsup:- I am going to steal it.

Cat Whisperer Jul 21st 2009 9:55 am

How about filling the tank up? Never used to do that, only threw in 20 or 30 pounds at a time.

Lothianlad Jul 21st 2009 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US (Post 7769546)
Appreaciate the winters in England!

It snowed a lot in England last winter......London had eight to twelve inches of snow all in one go and it was like the end of civilisation as we know it according to the wimps who live down there....:eek::rofl: and like most other parts of England which also had heavy snowfalls practically every bit of public transport running on wheels came to a standstill, schools closed down and everyone who had to travel more than ten metres to get to work took the day off and went snowballing in the parks.

mamasue Jul 21st 2009 11:07 am

The USA allowed me to afford a big house with a huge yard with deer, rabbits, chipmunks and turtles and a swimming pool.... as opposed to my London 1-bedroom apartment!

The USA enables me to wear just a t-shirt and jeans in winter, as opposed to huge coats, scarves, gloves!

The USA enables me to drive a car the size of a small house instead of a mini in London.

The USa enables me to have gym membership for a fraction of the UK price!

And I LOVE free refills of soda.... unheard of in the UK!!:thumbup:

Cape Blue Jul 21st 2009 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by mamasue (Post 7772327)
The USA allowed me to afford a big house with a huge yard with deer, rabbits, chipmunks and turtles and a swimming pool.... as opposed to my London 1-bedroom apartment!

The USA enables me to wear just a t-shirt and jeans in winter, as opposed to huge coats, scarves, gloves!

The USA enables me to drive a car the size of a small house instead of a mini in London.

The USa enables me to have gym membership for a fraction of the UK price!

Sounds like you're living the dream

Bob Jul 21st 2009 12:08 pm

But your living in Georgia...it's moving to Georgia that allowed that, not living in the US. Housing is just as or more expensive in Boston than London and that would probably be a more like for like comparison....could quite as easily get a monster of a gaff in Wales.

Being in America does allow you to shoot ridiculous amounts of guns and drive awesome huge pick ups though, which is pretty cool :D

Jaxbar Jul 21st 2009 1:18 pm

It's paid for the therapy I need to deal with living in America :p

Steerpike Jul 21st 2009 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 7772431)
But your living in Georgia...it's moving to Georgia that allowed that, not living in the US. Housing is just as or more expensive in Boston than London and that would probably be a more like for like comparison....could quite as easily get a monster of a gaff in Wales.

I don't think that is accurate at all; if there is one common theme I hear from everyone it is that housing in the UK is VERY expensive. Boston is more expensive than Georgia, but London is way more expensive than Boston. Even San Francisco does not compare to London. This is true whether you do straight 'price' comparisons, or income-weighted comparisons, or overall 'cost of living' comparisons.

http://money.cnn.com/2007/03/05/real...ties/index.htm
- London has an index of 125 (New York = 100)

http://www.finfacts.com/costofliving.htm

London is the next European city in the ranking at 3rd place (score 125), down one from last year,...

The only North American city to feature in this year’s top 50 is New York in 22nd place (score 100) ...

Steerpike Jul 21st 2009 7:54 pm

You reminded me of another worthy observation :) ... America has allowed me to hold several high-paying jobs while never having to wear a tie! I have not even worn a tie to an interview for my last several jobs, all high-paying / senior deals. I think it's a bit different on the East Coast ...

Thydney Jul 21st 2009 9:09 pm

our local Mc D's lets you refill but everywhere are still tight bstards

mamasue Jul 21st 2009 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 7772431)

Being in America does allow you to shoot ridiculous amounts of guns and drive awesome huge pick ups though, which is pretty cool :D

We moved to GA for the climate and the affordability.
A 'monster gaff in Wales' would nowadays be unaffordable to me.... unless I wanted to live in a small dead mining village in Llanfairtrisant or somewhere just as remote!
Boston is a lot cheaper than London.... not just for the property prices, but the cost of living.

The only downside of living in the USA to me is unaffordable health insurance.... I'll just have to pray for good health until I'm 65 and can qualify for medicare.

tamms_1965 Jul 22nd 2009 2:07 am

Originally Posted by Steerpike (Post 7773235)
I don't think that is accurate at all; if there is one common theme I hear from everyone it is that housing in the UK is VERY expensive. Boston is more expensive than Georgia, but London is way more expensive than Boston. Even San Francisco does not compare to London. This is true whether you do straight 'price' comparisons, or income-weighted comparisons, or overall 'cost of living' comparisons.

http://money.cnn.com/2007/03/05/real...ties/index.htm
- London has an index of 125 (New York = 100)

http://www.finfacts.com/costofliving.htm

Thanks for the links....very interesting.