British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   what has America allowed you to do? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/what-has-america-allowed-you-do-620651/)

md95065 Jul 19th 2009 7:17 am

Re: what has America allowed you to do?

Originally Posted by made of kent (Post 7760019)
what are you doing in the US that you couldn't in the UK?

Making right hand turns at red traffic lights ...

Nits22 Jul 19th 2009 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by md95065 (Post 7764982)

hahahahahah:thumbsup:
Right on red is my favorite traffic law. Where I come from, all traffic lights have arrows. I got honked at quite a bit before I understood the right-on-red law.

Poppy girl Jul 19th 2009 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by md95065 (Post 7764982)

:rofl: As long as theres not a speed camera.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=620634&page=2 Post 21 :rolleyes:

tamms_1965 Jul 19th 2009 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13 (Post 7761433)
You see, to me, a garden is not just grass. A garden constitutes trees, plants, flowers, pavers, fountains, shrubs, possibly statuary, etc all usually laid out in a thought out plan..it's a lot fancier than just grass.

I agree. A "lawn" is just grass. That's what I call it when I tell hubby he needs to "mow the lawn."

Nits22 Jul 19th 2009 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 7765789)
:rofl: As long as theres not a speed camera.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=620634&page=2 Post 21 :rolleyes:

:rofl:well, one should stop before doing a right on red. :rofl:

Poppy girl Jul 19th 2009 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by Nits22 (Post 7766299)
:rofl:well, one should stop before doing a right on red. :rofl:

:p One did not have time, even the Officer I spoke to after I got the citation, said the lights change so quickly they catch a lot of people :ohmy:...should of put my foot down harder lol

The Horticulturalist Jul 19th 2009 8:43 pm

Hummingbirds and huge butterflies :D

I have a few that have just arrived in the garden, I need to get some pots of plants on the deck that they like, all their favourites are out in the garden.

Just Jenney Jul 19th 2009 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist (Post 7766361)
Hummingbirds and huge butterflies :D

I have a few that have just arrived in the garden, I need to get some pots of plants on the deck that they like, all their favourites are out in the garden.

That reminds me -- Mark likes the fireflies, which apparently don't exist in the UK. On nice, warm summer night, it's beautiful to walk outside and see all the fireflies glowing and flickering "on and off"! :)

~ Jenney

The Horticulturalist Jul 19th 2009 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark (Post 7766363)
That reminds me -- Mark likes the fireflies, which apparently don't exist in the UK. On nice, warm summer night, it's beautiful to walk outside and see all the fireflies glowing and flickering "on and off"! :)

~ Jenney

We love them too, but for some strange reason they are not in our garden, we've seen them nearby at friends houses though.

Lothianlad Jul 19th 2009 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by Cat Whisperer (Post 7764488)
Having broadband internet instead of dial up. Mind you I don't know if broadband is readily available now in the UK. When I left, it was there but prohibitively expensive. Anyone know how much it costs now?

For me personally here in Edinburgh Broadband £14.45 per month with no restrictions whatsoever 24.7 Orange

I really don't know of anybody who is on dial up...not even my mates up in the wilds of north Perthshire or in wee Rhynie in the wilds of Aberdeenshire.

No fireflies that I know of but down in the south of England there are glow-worms you can see in the dark......maybe the same kind of wee beasties.

elfman Jul 19th 2009 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark (Post 7766363)
That reminds me -- Mark likes the fireflies, which apparently don't exist in the UK.

actually they do - but the only place I've personally seen them is in Thetford Forest in Norfolk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lampyris_noctiluca

Steerpike Jul 20th 2009 12:55 am

Originally Posted by Lothianlad (Post 7766487)
For me personally here in Edinburgh Broadband £14.45 per month with no restrictions whatsoever 24.7 Orange

I really don't know of anybody who is on dial up...not even my mates up in the wilds of north Perthshire or in wee Rhynie in the wilds of Aberdeenshire.

When talking about 'broadband access' these days, I think it warrants qualification ... what type. I know my "cellular data card" (internet access over the cellular network) from Verizon calls itself 'broadband', but at 300-500 kbps (if I'm lucky) is peanuts compared to Cable or even DSL. I'm getting 14 Mbps on my home Cable modem connection.

I'm not saying the cellular data cards aren't an improvement over dialup, but - I would not call it 'broadband' personally! I think most Americans have either Cable modem or DSL access at home, and use cellular cards while on the road; I think a lot of folks in UK have 'only' the cellular cards, and they are counted as users of 'broadband' service ...

elfman Jul 20th 2009 1:51 am

Originally Posted by Steerpike (Post 7766666)
When talking about 'broadband access' these days, I think it warrants qualification ... what type. I know my "cellular data card" (internet access over the cellular network) from Verizon calls itself 'broadband', but at 300-500 kbps (if I'm lucky) is peanuts compared to Cable or even DSL. I'm getting 14 Mbps on my home Cable modem connection.

I'm not saying the cellular data cards aren't an improvement over dialup, but - I would not call it 'broadband' personally! I think most Americans have either Cable modem or DSL access at home, and use cellular cards while on the road; I think a lot of folks in UK have 'only' the cellular cards, and they are counted as users of 'broadband' service ...

according to the link I posted above, the average UK broadband speed is 3.6Mbps, with 60% of UK internet users getting 2Mbps or faster as of six months ago

Stu_67 Jul 20th 2009 1:55 am

Originally Posted by made of kent (Post 7760019)
so what are you doing in the US that you couldn't in the UK?

I can give my wife the house of her dreams without having to work 200 hours a week to afford it.

I can own two cars and not worry about MOT's and not being able to afford to fuel them both.

I only have to cut my grass 7 months of the year. The rest of the time I can't see it for snow....which means I get to play with my snow-blower, the deadliest (and most fun) machine I have used since leaving the military.

I have a much wider variety of wildlife to avoid hitting whilst driving to work at night.

BritishGuy36 Jul 20th 2009 2:08 am

Originally Posted by mellybrown (Post 7761145)
Drive a car after having no lessons

:ohmy: