British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   what has America allowed you to do? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/what-has-america-allowed-you-do-620651/)

helwardman Jul 20th 2009 2:07 pm

Re: what has America allowed you to do?

Living in America has allowed me to fear for my life, my wife's life and my property every hurricane season.
It has also allowed me to repeat myself multiple times until understood when ordering food at a restaurant.
It has also allowed me to explain to complete strangers that I am not, in fact, from Australia.
It has allowed me moments of great delight as I explain the basics of Test Match cricket and get to the part where I tell them that the game lasts for 5 days and then it could be a draw.

Dan725 Jul 20th 2009 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by YoungSteve17 (Post 7761375)
Buy 1200 FPS Pellet guns from Wal-Mart

Never mind pellet guns...living in the US has allowed me to buy real guns and several thousand rounds of ammunition...also from Walmart!.....:rofl:

cindyabs Jul 20th 2009 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by Dan725 (Post 7768070)
Never mind pellet guns...living in the US has allowed me to buy real guns and several thousand rounds of ammunition...also from Walmart!.....:rofl:

Yes, BUT were you in your pjs at the time? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm? :sneaky:

Dan725 Jul 20th 2009 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by cindyabs (Post 7768094)
Yes, BUT were you in your pjs at the time? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm? :sneaky:

I'm afraid I don't have any, so can't adopt that Houston trend here! :D

zargof Jul 20th 2009 3:52 pm

America has cured me of my bacon addiction...

cindyabs Jul 20th 2009 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by Dan725 (Post 7768127)
I'm afraid I don't have any, so can't adopt that Houston trend here! :D

:eek::eek::eek:

another bloody yank Jul 20th 2009 4:18 pm

I think pajamas are a hoax. I mean men's pajamas like you see on old TV shows, striped pants and a shirt with buttons, usually covered by a robe until the instant before you get into bed. No man really wears those. I think it was invented by the TV people. It doesn't make sense, why put on clothes to go to bed? My wife got me a nightshirt once as a joke. I tried it a few times and nearly strangled myself.:(

helwardman Jul 20th 2009 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by another bloody yank (Post 7768168)
I think pajamas are a hoax. I mean men's pajamas like you see on old TV shows, striped pants and a shirt with buttons, usually covered by a robe until the instant before you get into bed. No man really wears those. :(

I used to wear pyjamas like that when I was a kid. My mum made me :frown:

AmerLisa Jul 20th 2009 5:02 pm

I think pajamas are a hoax. I mean men's pajamas like you see on old TV shows, striped pants and a shirt with buttons, usually covered by a robe until the instant before you get into bed. No man really wears those. I think it was invented by the TV people. It doesn't make sense, why put on clothes to go to bed? My wife got me a nightshirt once as a joke. I tried it a few times and nearly strangled myself.:(

I always wondered.... Have you ever watched those I Love Lucy reruns on tv and you see Ricky wearing men's pj's and the buttons are done up to his neck? I used to think that looked pretty uncomfortable....:ohmy:

AmerLisa Jul 20th 2009 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by zargof (Post 7768130)
America has cured me of my bacon addiction...

See....things aren't that bad! ;):D

another bloody yank Jul 20th 2009 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by AmerLisa (Post 7768277)
I always wondered.... Have you ever watched those I Love Lucy reruns on tv and you see Ricky wearing men's pj's and the buttons are done up to his neck? I used to think that looked pretty uncomfortable....:ohmy:

I think it was a moral thing. IIRC Lucy went to bed dressed for an Arctic Winter as well. Didn't they have separate beds?

AmerLisa Jul 20th 2009 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by another bloody yank (Post 7768293)
Didn't they have separate beds?

Of course..... But all those early sitcoms did that....:D

bevinva Jul 20th 2009 5:24 pm

I get all tangled in nightclothes too. What's the point of good sheets if you can't feel them all over?

Englishtart Jul 20th 2009 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by bevinva (Post 7768337)
I get all tangled in nightclothes too. What's the point of good sheets if you can't feel them all over?

I'm with you on that one, I just love my luxury thread count sheets, and snuggling into them at night!

would much prefer hubby, but soon, maybe :fingerscrossed:

another bloody yank Jul 20th 2009 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by Englishtart (Post 7768444)
I'm with you on that one, I just love my luxury thread count sheets, and snuggling into them at night!

would much prefer hubby, but soon, maybe :fingerscrossed:

I wear drawers, but no shirt or anything. But a burlap sack has a higher thread count than my sheets.:unsure: