Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Tipping for big groups

Tipping for big groups

Old Feb 1st 2013, 11:51 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tipping for big groups

What is the logic of those restaurants who impose a tip for groups over a certain size. As an example I often see an 18% tip will be added for groups of 6 or more.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

tinman0 is a jewel in the roughtinman0 is a jewel in the roughtinman0 is a jewel in the roughtinman0 is a jewel in the roughtinman0 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Tipping for big groups

Originally Posted by lansbury
What is the logic of those restaurants who impose a tip for groups over a certain size. As an example I often see an 18% tip will be added for groups of 6 or more.
Larger groups tip worse. They won't tip say $6 each and make $36, they'll leave a single tip of say $10.
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 12:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Having recently gone out to dinner with a big group we found out that if the service charge (tip) is mandatory on the menu, then the service charge is levied on the food and drink and THEN the sales tax is levied on the total of the food/drink AND service charge.

So one pays more tax as well. This is because by law a mandatory service charge is deemed part of the bill as a whole and is supposedly reported to the IRS. Whereas an optional tip is not.
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 1:08 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Logic? Nah.
Reasons:
A table of 20 could take up the space & time of 6 tables of 4 (and stay twice as long)
They could deter others from coming in.
They cause disruption to the routine.
They expect bulk discount (and may get it)
People will pay it,
I'l stop there as I can think of just as many counter arguments.
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 1:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect it is because there seems to always be one or two people in a large group who don't contribute their fair share of the bill including a tip. When the total tip ends up being very little, everybody then claims that they contributed the correct amount. This seems to occur more often when there are big differences in prices between the meals and drinks that people order (especially if the group is sharing bottles of wine).

Therefore the restaurant levies a specific percentage tip for groups and lets the group figure out how to make up any shortfall.

I know this happens since it happened to me for a bill of about $300 and I collected money and discovered that I received about $30 less than the total bill including tip.

Last edited by Michael; Feb 2nd 2013 at 1:38 am.
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 1:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah but I only had a glass of water and a starter.
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 1:42 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Yeah but I only had a glass of water and a starter.
Is that like an appetizer?
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 2:05 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
This is because by law a mandatory service charge is deemed part of the bill as a whole and is supposedly reported to the IRS. Whereas an optional tip is not.
Let me try to understand this.
I Should pay tax on any tip I give, it's just that it doesn't get reported, so they do not bother to ask for it?

The receivers of the tips should report the tip and pay tax, and I understand that they would be taxed at an assumed rate of tip even if they say they got none. So wouldn't the tax man know or assume that the tip was paid, and if so, why do they not come after the tax that the giver should have paid for non-mandatory tips, and in turn, why don't the establishments ask for the giver portion of tax on a tip; or is the amount given to the staff less the giver portion of tax?

I am not sure if any of that makes sense, I know what I am trying to ask. Maybe someone will understand.
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 2:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Let me try to understand this.
I Should pay tax on any tip I give, it's just that it doesn't get reported, so they do not bother to ask for it?

The receivers of the tips should report the tip and pay tax, and I understand that they would be taxed at an assumed rate of tip even if they say they got none. So wouldn't the tax man know or assume that the tip was paid, and if so, why do they not come after the tax that the giver should have paid for non-mandatory tips, and in turn, why don't the establishments ask for the giver portion of tax on a tip; or is the amount given to the staff less the giver portion of tax?

I am not sure if any of that makes sense, I know what I am trying to ask. Maybe someone will understand.

Hi I'm not sure what you are trying to say, and I probably did not explain myself properly. This is what our group found when we did a search on mandatory tips.

We know that we paid sales tax on food/drink and the 18% service charge.

Mandatory Tips
Often, restaurants and bars will add a preset tip when serving a large group. The percentage that will be added as a tip is usually posted in the menu or advertising brochures. When this preset service charge or "mandatory tip" is added by the retailer to the customer's bill, it is subject to tax. These charges are part of the restaurant or bar's income and should be reported as taxable sales. Tax is due on these amounts even if tax was not charged to the customer. Mandatory tip charges are taxable whether or not the tips are paid to an employee.
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 2:19 am
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

I saw this on the guardian website today: http://m.guardiannews.com/commentisf...ess-needs-tips
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 2:29 am
BE Irregular

Hi I'm not sure what you are trying to say, and I probably did not explain myself properly. This is what our group found when we did a search on mandatory tips.

Mandatory Tips
Often, restaurants and bars will add a preset tip when serving a large group. The percentage that will be added as a tip is usually posted in the menu or advertising brochures. When this preset service charge or "mandatory tip" is added by the retailer to the customer's bill, it is subject to tax. These charges are part of the restaurant or bar's income and should be reported as taxable sales. Tax is due on these amounts even if tax was not charged to the customer. Mandatory tip charges are taxable whether or not the tips are paid to an employee.
That is not unlike UK. The included service charge is part of the revenue of the restaurant, and therefore taxable to the restaurant, and up to the business what they do with it. I worked for a company that distributed 40% of the after tax amount to staff, via payroll, so they also paid tax on it...
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 2:31 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Mandatory Tips
thanks, I think that answered my question.
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 2:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
I saw this on the guardian website today: http://m.guardiannews.com/commentisf...ess-needs-tips
I suspect that person thought he was a big spender and was treating everybody at the table for a total of $34.93 for a party of at leat 8 people ($4.36 per person for 8 people but even less if more than 8 people).

I suspect he was more embarrassed at the small amount per person that he paid than not including a tip.
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 4:14 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
I suspect it is because there seems to always be one or two people in a large group who don't contribute their fair share of the bill including a tip. When the total tip ends up being very little, everybody then claims that they contributed the correct amount. This seems to occur more often when there are big differences in prices between the meals and drinks that people order (especially if the group is sharing bottles of wine).

Therefore the restaurant levies a specific percentage tip for groups and lets the group figure out how to make up any shortfall.

I know this happens since it happened to me for a bill of about $300 and I collected money and discovered that I received about $30 less than the total bill including tip.
It was probably you that didn't pay their way! I've seen it happen a couple of times - the bill payer is so engrossed with paying the bill that they forget their own share.
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 4:24 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
Logic? Nah.
Reasons:
A table of 20 could take up the space & time of 6 tables of 4 (and stay twice as long)
They could deter others from coming in.
They cause disruption to the routine.
They expect bulk discount (and may get it)
People will pay it,
I'l stop there as I can think of just as many counter arguments.
People will pay it sums it up. No reason why they should impose a mandatory tip over a certain number.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.