Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Tipping for big groups

Tipping for big groups

Old Feb 5th 2013, 5:20 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tipping for big groups

There are plenty of college graduates washing dishes.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 5:33 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
There are plenty of college graduates washing dishes.
Yup!Actually if you are a member of Local 6 which is a restaurant union in NYC you make $20 plus an hour as a dishwasher.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 5:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinbar
Yup!Actually if you are a member of Local 6 which is a restaurant union in NYC you make $20 plus an hour as a dishwasher.
No wonder eating in NYC is so d@mned expensive!
Old Feb 5th 2013, 5:41 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
No wonder eating in NYC is so d@mned expensive!
It depends on what you consider expensive. I know of some very reasonable places . FYI most restaurant employees( myself included) get the minimum server/bartender wage which is $5.00 an hour.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 5:51 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

$80 an hour? How many hours did they say they worked? That seems a bit extreme. I know many people put down working in the restaurant industry but I have managed to do quite well in it and I actually enjoy it.
This was late - about 10pm, and they were talking about having worked the dinner shift - I can't remember the specifics, but the $80 number stuck in my head. It wasn't even a classy place - regular steakhouse type place with $10 burgers and $12-15 steaks....can't imagine a table for 4 would come to much more than 60ish bucks....guess that means they were working 6-8 tables an hour (no idea if that sounds reasonable or not as never done it)or maybe the tips in Texas are like everything else here....BIGGER
Old Feb 5th 2013, 5:59 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

It depends on what you consider expensive. I know of some very reasonable places . FYI most restaurant employees( myself included) get the minimum server/bartender wage which is $5.00 an hour.
It sounds to me like you need to get into the union!
Old Feb 5th 2013, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It sounds to me like you need to get into the union!
I used to be. You can't just join Local 6. You have to get a job in a restaurant or hotel that is a union shop. I was in the Union for nearly seven years and then I left that job. It was about 15 years ago and I wanted a changE. Unions have their good points and bad points.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 7:42 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

This might depend on how each state's sales tax laws are written and apply to your state, or some states, but not all states.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Having recently gone out to dinner with a big group we found out that if the service charge (tip) is mandatory on the menu, then the service charge is levied on the food and drink and THEN the sales tax is levied on the total of the food/drink AND service charge.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 8:12 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

I notice that in this thread the terms 'tip' and 'service charge' seem to be used interchangably, and I wonder if the two things are the same or different? Perhaps it depends on the establishment? And with respect to sales tax, I wonder if the state or local sales tax laws might make a distinction?

I notice that in the referenced article the receipt shows an 'automatic' 18% "tip", and then provides a place for "Adtl Tip". I don't know what Applebee's does with such tip money, and the writer did not say, but as a customer I would take it literally and assume that the staff is given the 18%, which isn't a bad tip. Was the service so good that an additional tip was deserved? If the 18% isn't given to the staff, the writer's complaint isn't with the customer, it's with the establishment.

Getting back to sales tax, it's clear from what's shown of the receipt that Applebee's bases the tip on the cost of the food + the sales tax. (And sales tax is on the food only, not food + tip.) I don't know about others but I tip based on the cost of the food alone. The article doesn't mention where in St Louis this Applebee's was, but sales tax varies around St Louis county from as low as ~7% to almost 10% in St Louis city. A 10% sales tax really jacks up the tip when it's included in the calculation.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
I saw this on the guardian website today: http://m.guardiannews.com/commentisf...ess-needs-tips
Old Feb 5th 2013, 8:26 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
I don't know about others but I tip based on the cost of the food alone.
Regards, JEff
I normally tip on the basis of whatever sales tax is charged on - ie food and drink. Our sales tax is normally 8.25 (may be 6.25) so the mathS is quite easy to just double the sales tax and thats your tip.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 9:01 pm

Thanks for making that "food and drink", I should have written it that way. Same as me, so I feel that I'm not a lone 'Cheap Charlie' by using the pre-tax approach.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
I normally tip on the basis of whatever sales tax is charged on - ie food and drink.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 9:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

This might depend on how each state's sales tax laws are written and apply to your state, or some states, but not all states.

Regards, JEff
A lot of restaurants in areas that attract Brit/Euro tourists automatically add the tip onto the bill. I presume it's because we are not used to tipping and often leave without leaving a tip.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 10:07 pm

What has the reason for automatically adding a tip to the bill got to do with whether the state or locality charges a sales tax on an automatic tip?

Aside from the fact that they couldn't tax the tip if it wasn't automatic.

My point was, not all states tax an automatic tip.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

Regards, JEff
A lot of restaurants in areas that attract Brit/Euro tourists automatically add the tip onto the bill. I presume it's because we are not used to tipping and often leave without leaving a tip.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 10:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

What has the reason for automatically adding a tip to the bill got to do with whether the state or locality charges a sales tax on an automatic tip?

Aside from the fact that they couldn't tax the tip if it wasn't automatic.

My point was, not all states tax an automatic tip.

Regards, JEff
No need to get your knickers in a twist.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 2:39 am

Same as me, so I feel that I'm not a lone 'Cheap Charlie' by using the pre-tax approach.

Regards, JEff
Even with my Yorkshire roots, I'd never really thought of myself as a Cheap Charlie....until now

Seriously though, I'm surprised that folk calculate a tip on sales tax...the "double the sales tax" method was something an american colleague told me years ago when I came here on business - I just assumed it was a pretty normal way to do it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.