Reload this Page >

Tipping for big groups

Tipping for big groups

Old Feb 6th 2013, 3:34 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tipping for big groups

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Even with my Yorkshire roots, I'd never really thought of myself as a Cheap Charlie....until now

Seriously though, I'm surprised that folk calculate a tip on sales tax...the "double the sales tax" method was something an american colleague told me years ago when I came here on business - I just assumed it was a pretty normal way to do it!
Not so good when your sales tax is 3.9%, you would have club wielding waitresses running you down.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 12:50 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Not so good when your sales tax is 3.9%, you would have club wielding waitresses running you down.
Lol - we adjust accordingly when we travel. Or pretend we're English. Oh wait....
Old Feb 6th 2013, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

luvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to behold

Oh - this is really bad, I HATE tipping! hate hate hate it and I'm in the service industry! it just makes me feel dirrttyy I do tip - but I hate it
Old Feb 6th 2013, 2:31 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvmeboys
Oh - this is really bad, I HATE tipping! hate hate hate it and I'm in the service industry! it just makes me feel dirrttyy I do tip - but I hate it
Now, your signature says you're a chef, so maybe you can answer something I've always wondered....do the kitchen staff get a share of the tips the waitstaff collect?
Old Feb 6th 2013, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

luvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to behold

Now, your signature says you're a chef, so maybe you can answer something I've always wondered....do the kitchen staff get a share of the tips the waitstaff collect?
in some establishments yes - up to a percentage I think. I know of places where the wait staff are supposed to divvy up an equal share of their tips to the buss boys, dish wash etc.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 3:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

In the restaurants my daughter worked...she had to tip out a percentage of her tips to the buss boys etc. I don't think it was shared between the chefs. At the end of the day the total 'tip outs' were shared between said workers. If tips were left in cash...tips were automatically calculated at 15% and taken out of her wages.

As for income tax...I thought it was assumed that servers would get 15% in tips...whether it was cash or credit card.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
If tips were left in cash...tips were automatically calculated at 15% and taken out of her wages.
Wow - thats tough if she had some poor tippers!
Old Feb 6th 2013, 3:11 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

My apologies, I guess I didn't phrase that very well. I also don't consider myself or you to be Cheap Charlies because we don't consider the sales tax when calculating the tip.

Regards, JEff

Even with my Yorkshire roots, I'd never really thought of myself as a Cheap Charlie....until now
Old Feb 6th 2013, 3:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Wow - thats tough if she had some poor tippers!
One customer walked out without paying. My daughter had to pay the almost $100 bill out of her own pocket...plus the 'tip out' amount for the rest of the staff. That was the last day she worked as a server.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 5:09 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

In NYC it's illegal for the owner or management to make the server or bartender pay for a check if the guest walks out. That's terrible what happend to your daughter Jersey. I know it's not illegal in other cities and states. It's also illegal in NYC for any"non tipped employee' such as kitchen staff. owners or management to take a share of the tip pool. There have been some major lawsuits over this. Mario Batali had to pay back his staff over $5 million. It's legal in NY to have to tip out runners, busboys and bartenders, sommeliers , captains and maitre di's. In my recent bartending job I had to tip out the busboy/runner 10% if there was one and 16% if there was two. The servers would tip me out 10% and the busser/runner 18% if there was one and 30% if there was two. I had no bar back and dd all the schlep work ( carrying cases of beer wine, filling the ice bin ) myself. The servers would have to physically lift table and chairs each day for set up and carry them out side when the cafe was open. The restaurant industry is alot of work but I enjoy it.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 5:11 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

It is legal for a chef to be tipped if he is actually serving the food such as at some sushi restaurants and at certain restaurants where the "chef's table" is like a bar in front of an open kitchen.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 5:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by penguinbar
In NYC it's illegal for the owner or management to make the server or bartender pay for a check if the guest walks out. That's terrible what happend to your daughter Jersey. I know it's not illegal in other cities and states. It's also illegal in NYC for any"non tipped employee' such as kitchen staff. owners or management to take a share of the tip pool. There have been some major lawsuits over this. Mario Batali had to pay back his staff over $5 million. It's legal in NY to have to tip out runners, busboys and bartenders, sommeliers , captains and maitre di's. In my recent bartending job I had to tip out the busboy/runner 10% if there was one and 16% if there was two. The servers would tip me out 10% and the busser/runner 18% if there was one and 30% if there was two. I had no bar back and dd all the schlep work ( carrying cases of beer wine, filling the ice bin ) myself. The servers would have to physically lift table and chairs each day for set up and carry them out side when the cafe was open. The restaurant industry is alot of work but I enjoy it.
We were thoroughly p*ssed about it. The owner of the restaurant owned 2 more restaurants in our small town. We used to go to the steak restaurant weekly...but since then we haven't been back. That was 9 years ago.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 5:28 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

We were thoroughly p*ssed about it. The owner of the restaurant owned 2 more restaurants in our small town. We used to go to the steak restaurant weekly...but since then we haven't been back. That was 9 years ago.
I'd have done a poo in his letterbox.
Old Feb 7th 2013, 4:24 am

One customer walked out without paying. My daughter had to pay the almost $100 bill out of her own pocket...plus the 'tip out' amount for the rest of the staff. That was the last day she worked as a server.
Can't blame her for quitting - that is outrageous!
Old Feb 7th 2013, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by penguinbar
. In my recent bartending job I had to tip out the busboy/runner 10% if there was one and 16% if there was two. The servers would tip me out 10% and the busser/runner 18% if there was one and 30% if there was two.
That sounds incredibly complicated....did you have to tip a CPA to keep track of it all?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.