Standby Generators

Old Aug 18th 2021, 2:17 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Standby Generators

Originally Posted by ddsrph
Nutek
I think this is what you would need to install a breaker that would also serve as a outside generator power cutoff switch. From description it will take up to a 100 amp square D breaker. I like square D and have used nothing else. They make a QO line and recently a cheaper homeline. I always use the QO.
Thanks!

I'm heavily leaning toward doing things this way and maybe not working on the breakout panel right now (though I would like to at some point).

If I can get a (fused) 50A feed into the back of the panel then it really would be advantageous to be able to choose whatever circuits I want to run at any given time. Just so long as I am mindful of what I run concurrently.
Old Aug 18th 2021, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
Thanks!

I'm heavily leaning toward doing things this way and maybe not working on the breakout panel right now (though I would like to at some point).

If I can get a (fused) 50A feed into the back of the panel then it really would be advantageous to be able to choose whatever circuits I want to run at any given time. Just so long as I am mindful of what I run concurrently.
You can confirm if the above panel is what you need by talking with the people at a wholesale electrical supplier that caters to electricians. They will have some good ideas on what to use. If you are going to get a permit it might be worth it to get a preview from the inspector. Here for a small fee you can get an advisory inspection before starting. You could also make the case that you are just replacing a defective receptacle. If your in place switch is OK as is then it would be very easy to make It work. If the main panel breakers are clearly marked turning on only the ones you want would be easy.
Old Aug 18th 2021, 2:50 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

You can confirm if the above panel is what you need by talking with the people at a wholesale electrical supplier that caters to electricians. They will have some good ideas on what to use. If you are going to get a permit it might be worth it to get a preview from the inspector. Here for a small fee you can get an advisory inspection before starting. You could also make the case that you are just replacing a defective receptacle. If your in place switch is OK as is then it would be very easy to make It work. If the main panel breakers are clearly marked turning on only the ones you want would be easy.
My next door neighbor is an electrician so I can have him hop the fence and do it for me.

The panel is clearly marked for each breaker and what is attached. The barn has a 100A sub panel so that part is separated out already.
Old Aug 19th 2021, 6:17 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

As a result of this thread my news feed now gets articles on generator hookups. More than ever I believe a detailed electrical system analysis combined with the proposed generator/inverter in question is needed. It used to be fairly common for two 120 v circuits to share a neutral (it saves copper and makes for an easier installation). I know our recent upgrade of the main service and concomitant conversion of the old main box to a sub panel was complicated by that there were two shared neutrals which LADBS inspector spotted by counting wires.

It seems that it is a bad idea to hook up a 120v generator (as opposed to a 240) to two circuits sharing a neutral.

Electricity can be scary.
Old Aug 19th 2021, 6:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
As a result of this thread my news feed now gets articles on generator hookups. More than ever I believe a detailed electrical system analysis combined with the proposed generator/inverter in question is needed. It used to be fairly common for two 120 v circuits to share a neutral (it saves copper and makes for an easier installation). I know our recent upgrade of the main service and concomitant conversion of the old main box to a sub panel was complicated by that there were two shared neutrals which LADBS inspector spotted by counting wires.

It seems that it is a bad idea to hook up a 120v generator (as opposed to a 240) to two circuits sharing a neutral.

Electricity can be scary.
The bolded bit seems quite obvious, and was why I first flagged a concern about Nutek's picture. I saw the red and black wires, my mind ASSUMED 120V, and that seemed to be an issue. But once he said 240V, all was well. Now, wire is wire, and colored insulation is only a 'guide', but - if one were to do things to code, what colored wires would be approved / appropriate for a 240 V generator (assuming three wires total - 120V (#1), 120V (#2) and Neutral? Are red and black OK for the two 120V's?

Edit To Add - just found this:

http://waterheatertimer.org/How-to-w...t-outlets.html

(this is for a water heater outlet, but close enough for now). So - Red and Black for the two 'hots' is fine, it would seem.

Last edited by Steerpike; Aug 19th 2021 at 6:33 pm.
Old Aug 19th 2021, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
The bolded bit seems quite obvious, and was why I first flagged a concern about Nutek's picture. I saw the red and black wires, my mind ASSUMED 120V, and that seemed to be an issue. But once he said 240V, all was well. Now, wire is wire, and colored insulation is only a 'guide', but - if one were to do things to code, what colored wires would be approved / appropriate for a 240 V generator (assuming three wires total - 120V (#1), 120V (#2) and Neutral? Are red and black OK for the two 120V's?

Edit To Add - just found this:

How to wire 240 volt outlets and plugs

(this is for a water heater outlet, but close enough for now). So - Red and Black for the two 'hots' is fine, it would seem.
If only three wire, two hots and a ground I think (as a non electrician) either two black or a black and red would be ok. It’s common to use Romex 10ga for 220v which has a white and a black plus a bare ground in one plastic wrapped cable. In this case the white wire used as the second hot is wrapped with black tape at the terminal ends to show it is being used as a hot and not a common.
Old Aug 19th 2021, 8:34 pm

If only three wire, two hots and a ground I think (as a non electrician) either two black or a black and red would be ok. It’s common to use Romex 10ga for 220v which has a white and a black plus a bare ground in one plastic wrapped cable. In this case the white wire used as the second hot is wrapped with black tape at the terminal ends to show it is being used as a hot and not a common.
Old Aug 19th 2021, 8:35 pm

As stated previously, gen is 240VAC
Old Sep 30th 2021, 6:51 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

The connection for the generator is now installed.

Old Oct 1st 2021, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lansbury
The connection for the generator is now installed.

Good looking installation. In
moving those circuits from main panel did they have to splice some of the wires for extra length?
Old Oct 1st 2021, 4:12 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Good looking installation. In
moving those circuits from main panel did they have to splice some of the wires for extra length?
Just one.
Old Oct 1st 2021, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lansbury
Just one.
That was good and now you have the perfect setup plus a bunch of extra spaces in main and sub panel.
Old Oct 1st 2021, 4:39 pm

That was good and now you have the perfect setup plus a bunch of extra spaces in main and sub panel.
The main panel was full, if we needed to run extra circuits it would have meant changing the panel, so this way was a bonus.
Old Oct 11th 2021, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Looks to be a nice tidy safe installation. Generally around here more people die after a hurricane or ice storm due to incorrect use of generators and chain saws than during the event.
Old Oct 11th 2021, 3:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

California has banned them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.