Standby Generators

Old Aug 6th 2021, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Standby Generators

Originally Posted by lansbury
The panel is full, no spare space at all. Pity it's inside the garage on the outside wall so would have been easy with the hook up on the outside of the wall.

This is a sub panel in my house and you can see the double breaker on far right. Two 120v circuits in one 120v space. Two of these would open up a double space for a 220 volt breaker.

That should be no problem. You can get 1/2 space breakers to create enough space. With square D which I am familiar, they are readily available. The thing to do is look at your panel for brand, write down or photograph any model numbers/ serial numbers then go to a electrical supply store that caters to electricians and they can find the breakers for you. I wired my own house 5 years ago and have several of these 1/2 breakers in my panel. You will have to clear out the top position next to main cutoff to install the lockout.
Old Aug 6th 2021, 10:35 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

The panel is full, no spare space at all. Pity it's inside the garage on the outside wall so would have been easy with the hook up on the outside of the wall.
you need the spare breaker up by the main switch, and it needs to be on the main panel.

Old Aug 6th 2021, 10:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=tht;13038050]you need the spare breaker up by the main switch, and it needs to be on the main
panel[/QUOTE
Correct. You would have to move some breakers around using the double half breakers for the actual space creation.

Old Aug 7th 2021, 3:35 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Olly_
I got solar panels about a year after the generator and it annoys me no end when we have an outage on a sunny day and the panels sit on the roof producing nothing while we burn natural gas to power the house. I wouldn't get Powerwall(s) with no solar but if I could have my time over again I would have spent the generator money on 2 Powerwalls instead.
Our neighborhood grid is currently going through the process of upgrade and repair (the newest parts are 70 years old if not more). So, there are occasional preplanned outages. (I am actually impressed with how infrequent and short the outages are).

I was informed by the line workers that net metered solar is shut down when the grid power is down for safety reasons. It is necessary to know what lines are energized and what are not.

I was curious why no solar on sunny day.
Old Aug 7th 2021, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

The dual fuel set up is good, try to use ethanol free petrol / gas.
The golden rule is start and run the unit under load once a month. Very few people do this, digging it out from the back of the garage or shed where it has sat for a few years almost guarantees it will not run.

Old Aug 7th 2021, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Our neighborhood grid is currently going through the process of upgrade and repair (the newest parts are 70 years old if not more). So, there are occasional preplanned outages. (I am actually impressed with how infrequent and short the outages are).

I was informed by the line workers that net metered solar is shut down when the grid power is down for safety reasons. It is necessary to know what lines are energized and what are not.

I was curious why no solar on sunny day.
Indeed, solar is grid tied and they don't want you back feeding the utility lines when the power is out! If you have home batteries the gateway physically disconnects from the grid during an outage so your solar carries on producing to power your house and charge the batteries.
Old Aug 7th 2021, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ottotheboar
The dual fuel set up is good, try to use ethanol free petrol / gas.
The golden rule is start and run the unit under load once a month. Very few people do this, digging it out from the back of the garage or shed where it has sat for a few years almost guarantees it will not run.
That’s one of the main reasons I gave up on my generator plan when building my house. Propane run is a great idea and if I had one I would consider using propane only if that would be feasible.
Old Aug 7th 2021, 8:24 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ddsrph
That’s one of the main reasons I gave up on my generator plan when building my house. Propane run is a great idea and if I had one I would consider using propane only if that would be feasible.
I went for tri-fuel.. although the Nat-Gas to LPG is not a quick change over. I can start and run mine on Nat-Gas only. I have not tried it 24x7, I ran it 16 hours a day for 4 days in a row. It was a bargain at $900 back in 2016. The $100 amp cable to go from the unit to the house was $200+ and the whole setup including the run to the panel, gas work and interlock was close to $2000. This was me testing it, so it’s not chained to the house.. and I have since put down 4 pavers on sand to stand it on, and have a piece of steel roof I brought as a sample from Home Depot for $10 that covers it if it’s raining.

Old Aug 11th 2021, 3:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ddsrph
Like previously mentioned it all depends on how often and how long you lose power. I bought a interlock and poured a small pad plus ran a conduit for wires but in the end abandoned the whole thing due to having a stable electrical supplier with rare and short outages. I like to keep things simple and you could consider a small Honda gas generator (known for quietness) and some heavy extension cords. Buy one just big enough to run your freezer, fridge and some lights and TV. By using heavy extension cords you could place generator anywhere outside safe from exhaust fumes. If your panel has the space for a double breaker using a lockout would be more convenient and not cost that much but would still consider same small size generator.
May seem like a silly question, but how do you run the cable from the outside into the house? Under the door, through a window, etc? If you are in the middle of summer and trying to retain inside (cool) air, none of these options seem appropriate. I guess you could make a purpose-built pass-through hole that is normally sealed off?

We decided on a iGen4500DF. It will run the fridge/freezer and the freezer in the garage and have about 40% capacity left for lights, TV and other items we can switch in and out as needed. It is an inverter so quieter and is rated for sensitive electronics,
Looks like a good choice! Can you elaborate on why an 'inverter' model is quieter? What is the alternative to an 'inverter' model in this category?
and duel fuel so we can keep a couple of propane cylinders and no have to worry about gasoline going off. We can always start it on propane and then buy fresh gas for the high power and longer running.
How easy is the switch from propane to gasoline?
Plus if we find it isn't big enough we can buy another one and run them in parallel. It is also about 120lbs lighter than one big enough for the whole house, and therefore easy to store in the garage and pull out when needed. Cooking, hot water and downstairs fire are all gas, so we only need to cover downstairs power and lights in an emergency.
Is your gas stove capable of operating without electricity? I don't think mine is (well, I guess the 'rings' are, but not the oven). I'm pretty sure all gas water heaters keep running without electricity. Our gas furnace still requires electricity to operate.
Will research getting a transfer switch or interlock. The fridge/freezer in the kitchen is difficult to move out and get behind to unplug and connect to extension cables. Mrs L is not built for getting into tight spaces if she was on her own.
Would love to see your pros/cons for the transfer switch / interlock choice!
Originally Posted by Olly_
... I had a Kohler natural gas standby generator installed a few years ago and regret buying it to be honest - while it's great to have power during an outage it is very loud when running despite what the adverts claim and it broke down just over a year after installation. Thankfully I had purchased the extended parts and labor warranty because it took three months of visits and replacing every part imaginable before the dealer threw in the towel and Kohler authorized a complete replacement unit.

A few times we've lost power in the middle of the night and the generator starting up wakes me up.

I wish I had gone with Tesla Powerwall instead.
Are natural gas units inherently more noisy, or was this just a feature of your particular model?

Originally Posted by tht
You can run a gas line to other locations, but the close to the meter the better. The wiring to run 240v is alos not cheap, ours is very "beefy". I am now also figuring out what I plan to do for my lake house, that has a well pump, so the 120v unit I have there won't work to get water. AS the other poster mentioned, I think I will look to go solar with a power wall or 2. The entire property has an exposed south facing roof so it will do well on solar, but I ned to find an option that does not impact the curb appeal too much as it is also STR property.

I don't like the transfer switch, that makes you pre-select what circuits you are able to run, an interlock allows you to use any circuit, you just have to be more careful not to try and start/run to anything's together.
Can you elaborate on this last sentence ... more careful not to ... ?

Last edited by Steerpike; Aug 11th 2021 at 3:22 am.
Old Aug 11th 2021, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Steerpike
I can respond to two of your questions. My plan was to have a outside receptacle that would be wired like any outside power but be the type that would mate up with the generator output power cord. This would run like any house wiring to main panel. How it would run would depend on type of house construction. It would terminate at panel into a double breaker in the position required to work with the interlock device. The other question about making sure which circuits to activate is critical to not overload the generator. Before turning on generator turn off all house breakers then one by one turn on just those you intend to run from generator power.
Old Aug 11th 2021, 8:06 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Bit pricey but here is another way of getting through a wall. https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0743BQD...v_ov_lig_dp_it

An inverter is quieter because the generator can adjust its speed according to the load. A low load and it runs slower, a normal generator the motor always runs at maximum speed. Also some inverter generators are enclosed, as opposed to being an open frame. Changing from gas to propane, or back is just a case of turning a knob.

Our gas cooker has an electric connection for the fans and igniters, but works if the power is off. I'm assuming the furnace will not work without power as that is needed for the fan and thermostat. The gas fire works ok on just gas.
Old Aug 12th 2021, 11:43 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike

Is your gas stove capable of operating without electricity? I don't think mine is (well, I guess the 'rings' are, but not the oven). I'm pretty sure all gas water heaters keep running without electricity. Our gas furnace still requires electricity to operate.
Our gas cooktop can be used during a power outage but the flame must be ignited with either a match or grill lighter.

A tankless water heater will need electricity to ignite, but a tank heater is the last home of pilot light ignition (with the only electricity being in the thermocouple safety valve which is self generated). Our latest electrical upgrade required that bridges to ground be installed on the gas, hot water and cold water lines on the water heater.
Old Aug 12th 2021, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

After three consecutive years of at least one power outage per winter, my in-laws neighbours bought a generator. Didn't have an outage for the next ten.

Like many others here, I prepared for outages by having a gas fireplace and gas cooker, which all works with no electricity. Keep a powerbank at max to charge up your phone.
Old Aug 14th 2021, 3:01 am
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
I have a 10,000kw portable tri-fule. I have an outlet to connect it to near the gas meter, and can connect it to a nat gas quick connect. I have a “interlock” on my main panel, that prevents back feeding to the grid. The wife would not allow me to get a Glock, so I have a steel motorbike securing ring attached to the foundation to chain it to. We only run it 7am to 11pm when the powers out because of noise. Last time I gave the neighbor a 20amp feed to avoid noise complaints. The whole setup including electrician and plumber for the gas work was about $2k. So way cheaper than a whole house setup. The one thing I had to add was a trickle charger to keep the battery charged to start it. Runs everything including the AC.
I have an almost identical setup. I have to drag the genset out of the garage but then I connect it to the socket on the outside that feeds the house once I have moved the interlock over. It was all installed to code. I also have a 40G propane tank and an NG hookup and the genset runs for 10 hours if I were to ever put gas in it, which hasn't happened yet. So far I've only had to use it for ~10 hours in the last couple of years but I used to have a 120G salt water mixed coral/fish marine tank that got decidedly unhappy if the power was off for more than a couple of hours. Mine is a 12KW running 15KW peak and it can run most things apart from the range or A/C.... I have color coded breakers on the main panel to remind me (and the strife) what loads I need to shed before switching over...

I have to say it is pretty loud and can be hear 3 houses over. But my neighbor directly behind has a 22KW Genrac whole house NG generator and that is also very loud. I know as it automatically runs a self test every month. Oh and they have had loads of problems with it even though it's ~3 years old. They actually persuaded me that it wasn't worth it!

Last edited by TimFountain; Aug 14th 2021 at 3:05 am.
Old Aug 14th 2021, 7:12 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Hanging on the side of my house. Pull down to switch to the generator.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.