Standby Generators

Old Aug 17th 2021, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Standby Generators

Originally Posted by Nutek
An Interlock Kit is really the way to go. It would take some considerable re-jigging on my (full) panel to do it though. Still... I may decide to go that way.
Have you checked to see if the 1/2 space breakers are available for your panel? Two
of those can quickly open up the needed double space.
Old Aug 17th 2021, 3:53 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ddsrph
Have you checked to see if the 1/2 space breakers are available for your panel? Two
of those can quickly open up the needed double space.
I have used those in my previous house when I upgraded our service to 200A It is certainly an option and possibly easier than the alternatives. I am considering a sub or breakout panel though, containing just the items I would want on the generator. Choices...
Old Aug 17th 2021, 5:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

An Interlock Kit is really the way to go. It would take some considerable re-jigging on my (full) panel to do it though. Still... I may decide to go that way.
To me, the current transfer switch you already have looks good (excepting of course the flimsy wires feeding into the bottom from the generator). It does certainly allow you to 'overload' the generator, by turning on too many appliances/loads in the house, but it has the great feature of allowing you to use any outlet in the whole house at will. Is it the risk of overloading the generator that bothers you?
Old Aug 17th 2021, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

As I understand it it’s legal to have a wire nut splice in the main panel which may be necessary when moving wires to a new breaker location. I had to splice one circuit in my panel when I decided to add a surge protector which looks like a double breaker and takes a double space.
Old Aug 17th 2021, 6:32 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Passed inspection with no problems at all. Though I am looking to change it for a newer (and better) setup.
Idle curiosity, the purchase inspection or Building Department inspection? I know that we had a few things which eluded purchase inspector which LADBS made us change out with a mild WTF.
Old Aug 17th 2021, 8:05 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
To me, the current transfer switch you already have looks good (excepting of course the flimsy wires feeding into the bottom from the generator). It does certainly allow you to 'overload' the generator, by turning on too many appliances/loads in the house, but it has the great feature of allowing you to use any outlet in the whole house at will. Is it the risk of overloading the generator that bothers you?
I'm not happy with the existing 30A Gen feed wires or the receptacle itself so will definitely be replacing both with a new 50A.
The rest of it DOES have certain advantages, providing I am mindful of what I am doing and use relevant breakers accordingly. As you say though, it would be possible to overload. You should really have all breakers OFF before switching anyhow, and then turn on the ones needed. To be honest, my main interest is the well pump and the barn (horses).

Old Aug 17th 2021, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Idle curiosity, the purchase inspection or Building Department inspection? I know that we had a few things which eluded purchase inspector which LADBS made us change out with a mild WTF.
Purchase 3 years ago and also Electrical inspection last year I suspect whilst it is ok as existing, it would probably not be on a new build, though I could be wrong.
Old Aug 17th 2021, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'm not happy with the existing 30A Gen feed wires or the receptacle itself so will definitely be replacing both with a new 50A.
The rest of it DOES have certain advantages, providing I am mindful of what I am doing and use relevant breakers accordingly. As you say though, it would be possible to overload. You should really have all breakers OFF before switching anyhow, and then turn on the ones needed. To be honest, my main interest is the well pump and the barn (horses).
To be legal by today’s code it needs a 50 amp breaker before or at the main panel. In that way if you accidentally overload the generator the 50 amp #6 or #8 wire is protected. Otherwise it is only protected by the 200 amp main breaker which is no protection at all.
Old Aug 17th 2021, 8:25 pm

To be legal by today’s code it needs a 50 amp breaker before or at the main panel. In that way if you accidentally overload the generator the 50 amp #6 or #8 wire is protected. Otherwise it is only protected by the 200 amp main breaker which is no protection at all.
Makes perfect sense and something i will need to, address. For piece of mind if nothing else.
Old Aug 17th 2021, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Makes perfect sense and something i will need to, address. For piece of mind if nothing else.
You can buy a small box that is used for the required cutoff for AC units. Using a 50 amp breaker as the cutoff would work. They are weather proof as they go on outside wall near AC unit. This is next to my heat pump outside unit.

You
Old Aug 17th 2021, 8:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I can imagine 'not realizing' (not planning ahead) for what things I do and do not 'provide for'. That lamp by the bedside, that socket that feeds the wifi router, that light switch under the stairs, etc. Being a nerd, I spent a whole day early in my tenure in my new place tracing every single wall socket and light switch to a breaker in the breaker panel (more than 20 in all!) so I would know what is what, but many don't do that and thus don't have a clue what breakers operate what devices.
Old Aug 17th 2021, 8:59 pm

You can buy a small box that is used for the required cutoff for AC units. Using a 50 amp breaker as the cutoff would work. They are weather proof as they go on outside wall near AC unit. This is next to my heat pump outside unit.

You
Yes, that would fit in very nicely as a replacement for the rusty old piece of crap I want to pull out. It would also probably be enough of a solution that I could not make other changes right away.

Old Aug 17th 2021, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes, that would fit in very nicely as a replacement for the rusty old piece of crap I want to pull out. It would also probably be enough of a solution that I could not make other changes right away.

That would work perfect. Box with new receptacle, box with breaker above, connected by weather proof conduit.
Old Aug 17th 2021, 10:37 pm

That would work perfect. Box with new receptacle, box with breaker above, connected by weather proof conduit.
Yes, I think you have nailed it. Seems like a perfect solution, given what I have to work with.
Old Aug 18th 2021, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nutek
I think this is what you would need to install a breaker that would also serve as a outside generator power cutoff switch. From description it will take up to a 100 amp square D breaker. I like square D and have used nothing else. They make a QO line and recently a cheaper homeline. I always use the QO.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.