Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

the Scottish independence issue

the Scottish independence issue

Old Jul 27th 2014, 10:54 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the Scottish independence issue

Originally Posted by smithy76
i am tempted to vote Yes. why can't scotland run itself? maybe it's the Yank in me that thinks that why, but I don't see why it couldn't be successful long term. (besides, success waxes and wanes over time anyway)

i think what bothers me about the debate is that absolutely no one can guarantee anything, whether it be positive or negative. so the vote must be based on your fundamental political beliefs. do you want a gov in edinburgh, or london? are you willing to put the final nail in the coffin of the british empire?

also, voting for independence is NOT a vote for SNP policy. it is very difficult to see the forest through the trees on this since the two often get intertwined.

on a side note, texas wanting to break free is nothing at all like scotland wanting independence. texas is a state in a federalist system. it is not a country. however, scotland is a country which has been tied to others via treaty. totally different. i think of it would be more like western NY wanting to annex NYC, or more like a divorce.......one side is not feeling its needs are being met so it wants to leave. the other half is suddenly realising they actually mean it this time and are begging them to 'please, think of the children' and stay. too little too late perhaps?
"the final nail in the coffin of the British Empire"? Are you serious?
Old Jul 27th 2014, 1:42 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AZ_Alba
The established church in Scotland is the Church of Scotland already which is totally different from the Church of England so no change.
Sorry, not sure how this answers my question. I am very well aware of the history and present status of the established church in Scotland. My question was, has there been discussion by the Yes Folks of a change in that status, in the event of independence?

Remember that the established churches in Ireland and in Wales were disestablished way back in the nineteenth century. I was wondering if the Yes camp saw an established church with the Queen at its head as an unneeded remnant of the UK...
Old Jul 27th 2014, 1:52 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

on a side note, texas wanting to break free is nothing at all like scotland wanting independence. texas is a state in a federalist system. it is not a country. however, scotland is a country which has been tied to others via treaty. totally different. ...?
Actually the two cases have interesting parallels. They are not totally different. First, note that Scotland is NOT tied to other countries via treaty. The parliaments of both countries passes Acts of Union. That means that Scotland and England/Wales became a united country with one parliament. For practical reasons, it was located in London, but it could have been located in Edinburgh or elsewhere.

Texas was an independent country. Its legislature voted (I believe) to become a state in the US. So similar to the union between Scotland and England, except in so far as the fact that Texas became just one state among many....
Old Jul 27th 2014, 2:51 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Actually the two cases have interesting parallels. They are not totally different. First, note that Scotland is NOT tied to other countries via treaty. The parliaments of both countries passes Acts of Union. That means that Scotland and England/Wales became a united country with one parliament. For practical reasons, it was located in London, but it could have been located in Edinburgh or elsewhere.

Texas was an independent country. Its legislature voted (I believe) to become a state in the US. So similar to the union between Scotland and England, except in so far as the fact that Texas became just one state among many....
I hadn't got around to saying that myself. Texas was an independent country for 7 years IIRC, and during that time it had an embassy in London.
Old Jul 27th 2014, 2:54 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by Pulaski
, and during that time it had an embassy in London.
OMG. They were probably careering around London in armored SUVs. Except horse drawn.
Old Jul 27th 2014, 2:56 pm
Just Joined

smithy76 is an unknown quantity at this point

But texas has been a state for 100+ years. Scotland is not a state in a federalist system. If it were, independence would probably never have come up. I get what you're saying up to a point, but it's like comparing tangelos to oranges
Old Jul 27th 2014, 3:05 pm
Heading for Poppyland

But texas has been a state for 100+ years. Scotland is not a state in a federalist system. If it were, independence would probably never have come up. I get what you're saying up to a point, but it's like comparing tangelos to oranges
Hmm.. Not sure really. The United Kingdom has many attributes of a federation. Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland are essentially "states" - aren't they? Big difference is, they are not equal units with defined equal rights and powers in the same way as the constituent states in Canada, Switzerland, Australia (to cite some well known federal countries.)
Old Jul 27th 2014, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

No, they are different countries but maybe not to some english people who think they are ststes within England. Hence the independence referendum!
Old Jul 27th 2014, 3:58 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

No, they are different countries but maybe not to some english American people who think they are states within England. .....
FIFY

The English are well aware of how their country was formed and is composed.
Old Jul 27th 2014, 4:06 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would not put much money on that, too many WTF moments.
Old Jul 27th 2014, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

Sorry pulaski, not a dig at the majority! But the are always a handful that ruin it for the rest. There are definitely those who say ' but we don't want to give Scotland their independence' or 'sure, we can give it to them if they want or 'how come Scotland can vote for their independence and we can't (in this referendum)'. It shows that they really don't understand the union and what is going on. Most do, but there are quite a few who don't. And that is obviously not limited to just English, but the media tends to interview them the most.

I have yet to see NI person get the 'man on the street' type of interview bbc, itv etc do from time to time. I think i saw one old welsh lady give her opinion. Once.

Last edited by smithy76; Jul 27th 2014 at 4:27 pm.
Old Jul 27th 2014, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

Oh, and americans will never ever ever get it, on the whole of course
Old Jul 27th 2014, 5:39 pm
Heading for Poppyland

No, they are different countries but maybe not to some english people who think they are ststes within England. Hence the independence referendum!
First, the word "state" and the word "country" are at least partly synonymous. Second, I doubt if any English people believe Scotland, NI etc. are states within England. They are states (or countries, jurisdictions, principalities, provinces -what you will...) within the United Kingdom.

Scotland and England were two independent states with histories going back a thousand or more years. Their parliaments freely decided in the early eighteenth century to unite and form the United Kingdom. These are facts, I don't think it's that difficult to grasp.
Old Jul 27th 2014, 5:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wales was independent.

We did not freely decide.
Old Jul 27th 2014, 5:45 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by Boiler
Wales was independent.

We did not freely decide.
This is quite true. I was just talking about England and Scotland. Wales was essentially absorbed into England by force of arms in mediaeval times.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.