Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

the Scottish independence issue

the Scottish independence issue

Old Jul 22nd 2014, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the Scottish independence issue

Originally Posted by MsElui
saw this on the beeb BBC News - Scottish independence: How would the UK fare without Scotland?

nothing stunning in there- just some basic stats.
Some interesting stats.
Old Jul 24th 2014, 11:20 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neilcumming
Some interesting stats.
Yeah. The rest of the UK is stronger/ better in almost everything without Scotland.

"Average" life expectancy for men in the rest of the UK will increase by 2½ years, and 2.1 years for women, numbers which rival the Nordic countries which have the longest life expectancies in Europe. How bad is it Scotland when 8½% of the population can drag the average life expectancy down by 2½ YEARS?

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 25th 2014 at 1:05 am.
Old Jul 24th 2014, 11:25 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Lots and lots of Mars Bars?
Old Jul 25th 2014, 12:43 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Deep-fried ones.
Old Jul 25th 2014, 12:48 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Are there any other?
Old Jul 25th 2014, 1:08 am

I have a hunch that alcohol, tobacco, a high fat diet, and a lack of fresh fruit and vegetables could also have something to do with it.
Old Jul 25th 2014, 11:01 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Stop that.

Are there any other?
Redeemed.
Old Jul 25th 2014, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Bad diet,alcohol abuse ,drug abuse ,tobacco abuse (I know people who smoked 60 cigs a day!).Scotland the sick man of Europe for decades thanks to succesive UK government.Vote No to keep the status quo,aye right !
Old Jul 25th 2014, 12:49 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Bad diet,alcohol abuse ,drug abuse ,tobacco abuse (I know people who smoked 60 cigs a day!).

thanks to succesive UK government.
LMAO

Seriously?
Old Jul 25th 2014, 12:51 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
LMAO

Seriously?
Yeah, I'd be interested to know how that works, myself
Old Jul 25th 2014, 1:22 pm

Bad diet,alcohol abuse ,drug abuse ,tobacco abuse (I know people who smoked 60 cigs a day!).Scotland the sick man of Europe for decades thanks to succesive UK government.Vote No to keep the status quo,aye right !
So what would an independent Scottish government do?

They could eliminate VAT from fresh fruit and vegetables but charge a full 20% VAT on fast food, license vendors of alcohol and restrict sales to certain times of day, prohibit sales to children, and tax it heavily to discourage over consumption, and require the percentage of alcohol to be marked on all alcoholic beverages,spirits, wine, beer, and even shandy. They could outlaw use of drugs. They could license the sales of tobacco, levy massive taxes such that poor people would probably have to choose between eating or smoking, outlaw sales of tobacco to children, and prohibit smoking in restaurants, bars and public buildings. They could also require a large health warning to be printed on the tobacco packaging, something about the risk of heart disease and cancer, and put it in clear type on a white background.

Yeah, those measures would help just about any idiot to live a healthier lifestyle!

On the other hand perhaps people could start taking PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY for voluntarily poisoning themselves? ..... Nah, that'd never catch on.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 25th 2014 at 2:16 pm.
Old Jul 25th 2014, 5:58 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

I'm curious....and this is a genuine question.....how are any of those the fault of the UK government, that they specifically targeted Scotland, and gave favourable/preferable treatment to the rest of the UK?
Old Jul 26th 2014, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Im blaming the UK governments for not doing anything about it.It doesnt have be this way.Where there is a will there is a way and as a far as I can see there never was a will.The UK is a european country so why is it that other countries in europe like Spain,Italy and France dont have these alcohol abuse problems? Maybe because they educate people from an early age about alcohol.Its the same with diet.Its not just in Scotland ,England has its fair share of binge drinkers at the weekends.
Old Jul 26th 2014, 2:13 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Im blaming the UK governments for not doing anything about it.It doesnt have be this way.Where there is a will there is a way and as a far as I can see there never was a will.The UK is a european country so why is it that other countries in europe like Spain,Italy and France dont have these alcohol abuse problems? Maybe because they educate people from an early age about alcohol.Its the same with diet.Its not just in Scotland ,England has its fair share of binge drinkers at the weekends.
And yet you said Scotland was the sick man of Europe thanks to the UK govt....that was the point I was querying.

There aren't (yet!) any alcohol/drug abuse issues in my family (although I did have a large-ish night last night....) but I'd always put that down to family upbringing, rather than government policy.
Old Jul 26th 2014, 2:20 am

Im blaming the UK governments for not doing anything about it. .....
Not doing what? It seems to me the government has done plenty. Do I have to list all the things they've done, and in some cases been doing for decades? .... Oh, I did already!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.