British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   the Scottish independence issue (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/scottish-independence-issue-817782/)

holly_1948 Jan 12th 2014 4:19 pm

Re: the Scottish independence issue

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 11074988)
Not so sure about the latter. I was reading several sources on that earlier today after watching the Scottish Politics Show, and I think a lot depends on Scotland's policy towards UK citizens, etc., regarding their right to dual UK-Scotland citizenship.
It would be very strange to have two separate nations in which all citizens were dual citizens of both countries.

They are not going to take away the UK passports of people who already have them, even if they live in Scotland.
For the next generation born in Scotland, yes it might be an issue for them, unless they live in Britain for 3 years or whatever the rule is.

scrubbedexpat099 Jan 12th 2014 4:19 pm

These issues are like whackamole.

I assumed it would be like Hong Kong, there would be a British Passport - Scotland. And Charles would go up to say goodbye.

scrubbedexpat099 Jan 12th 2014 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by holly_1948 (Post 11074997)
They are not going to take away the UK passports of people who already have them, even if they live in Scotland.
For the next generation born in Scotland, yes it might be an issue for them, unless they live in Britain for 3 years or whatever the rule is.

You would need to get new Drivers Licenses, NI numbers, etc etc. So why not Passports?

Scottish Vehicle Registrations, Insurance, Banking etc etc.

Lots of jobs for the boys.

Passport and Customs controls with a non EU state, I am sure if I thought about it for a while, well.

holly_1948 Jan 12th 2014 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by holly_1948 (Post 11074984)
United Kingdom of Southern Great Britain and Northern Ireland of course. Obvious.

Actually United Kingdom of Britain and Northern Ireland is (more exactly will be) technically correct. And easier. Just United Kingdom for short of course, as now.

dunroving Jan 12th 2014 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by holly_1948 (Post 11074997)

That is something along the lines of one possibility described by the Migration Observatory (one of the sites I was looking at earlier).

So if anything, current Scots might be allowed to keep UK passport/citizenship, but it would be a single-generation thing (couldn't be passed on). Although one section described the parallel with Ireland:

"“...a person born in the island of Ireland, ..who does not have, at the time of [their] birth, at least one parent who is an Irish citizen or entitled to be an Irish citizen is not entitled to Irish citizenship or nationality…"

- which is a bit confusing because if Scots are allowed to retain UK citizenship, then other than migrants, surely all children born in Scotland would be entitled to dual citizenship (because all parents would be UK citizens)?

Another interesting section:

"Despite the fact that the UK is in general not opposed to dual citizenship, it is a matter of debate whether the rest of the United Kingdom would be prepared to allow dual Scottish and UK citizenship after independence. The position of UK Ministers is that this would depend on the citizenship rules adopted by an independent Scotland, as the Home Secretary said in Parliament on 10 June 2013 (an SNP member, by contrast, asserted that this might not be up to the UK and that "retaining a UK passport" would be automatic). It might be, however, that the UK would not wish to deny continuing citizenship to persons born within its territory, though it might not wish to extend that right to their children born in Scotland"

I would be entitled to dual citizenship as a long-term resident, but I am more concerned about the effect of independence on other things.

neilcumming Jan 12th 2014 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 11074990)
1) Yes, I knew that.

2) No, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but his situation does reek of hypocrisy somewhat.

Ok,you confused me a bit ,you said "do you realise he turned down a knighthood" but all that matters is has the knighthood now.He was quoted as saying he would return to Scotland to live once independence was acheived but I dont believe that.I live abroad for financial reasons (im not rich) but I can relate to "Sir Sean" in some ways.

scrubbedexpat099 Jan 12th 2014 4:30 pm

Not quite as United as it once was Kingdom?

NUK for short.

holly_1948 Jan 12th 2014 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 11075000)
You would need to get new Drivers Licenses, NI numbers, etc etc. So why not Passports? ...

I hope/expect that Scotland will have driving licences rather than adopt drivers licenses.

But anyway, you don't lose your British driving licence (or Northern Ireland driving licence), NI number and so on if/when you acquire French citizenship. So there isn't any good reason why acquiring Scottish citizenship should be different. It is up to the Scots whether they want to issue new NI numbers or keep on using the old number - it's only a number after all.

Lion in Winter Jan 12th 2014 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by neilcumming (Post 11074966)
Prove me wrong.

You cannot disprove something that has not yet been proved.

Logic 101.

I say "there is a stilton cheese at the bottom of black holes". Now, prove me wrong.

Nutek Jan 12th 2014 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by neilcumming (Post 11074966)
Prove me wrong.

Hilarious. :lol:

-------------------

dunroving... Thanks for all of the interesting links etc.. Working my way through them.

dunroving Jan 12th 2014 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 11075021)

Logic 101.

I say "there is a stilton cheese at the bottom of black holes". Now, prove me wrong.

No there's not. Fact.

Lion in Winter Jan 12th 2014 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 11075027)
No there's not. Fact.

Then I'm not buying any more bloody scottish oatcakes to eat with it then.:frown:

scrubbedexpat099 Jan 12th 2014 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by holly_1948 (Post 11075012)
But anyway, you don't lose your British driving licence (or Northern Ireland driving licence), NI number and so on if/when you acquire French citizenship. So there isn't any good reason why acquiring Scottish citizenship should be different. It is up to the Scots whether they want to issue new NI numbers or keep on using the old number - it's only a number after all.

If you move out of the UK you would need to get a license from the Country you move to, you need to keep your address updated and you can not use a non UK one. In this case the UK would have moved from you, but same issue

As far as NI numbers are concerned, well there would need to be an agreement to hand over record of Scottish Citizens, but not all records. Would it not be more logical to have your own numbering system.

There would be many many other shared systems, there would have to be a Scottish Passport Office, Customs and Immigration, what about Legal system?

SultanOfSwing Jan 12th 2014 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 11075021)

Logic 101.

Black holes don't have bottoms.

They're not arsing about ...

:getcoat:

holly_1948 Jan 12th 2014 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 11075047)
... There would be many many other shared systems, there would have to be... what about Legal system?

Scotland already has its own legal system.
That's why they have due process for the mentally ill. Instead of making people subject to secret rulings by secret courts using secret evidence given by people whose names are not published.