British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   the Scottish independence issue (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/scottish-independence-issue-817782/)

Pulaski Jan 17th 2014 3:47 am

Re: the Scottish independence issue

Originally Posted by neilcumming (Post 11083347)
Hes an american ,a distant relative of "Sir William" who wrote the screenplay for Braveheart.

Your punctuation sucks, it has in every post you've made, and now you have stated that Sir William Wallace wrote the screenplay for Braveheart! :rofl: Sometimes a comma makes a huge difference. :rolleyes:

SultanOfSwing Jan 17th 2014 3:58 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11083358)
Your punctuation sucks, it has in every post you've made, and now you have stated that Sir William Wallace wrote the screenplay for Braveheart! :rofl: Sometimes a comma makes a huge difference. :rolleyes:

He may as well have done. I mean, it wasn't exactly the most objectively written film in the history of cinema :D

dunroving Jan 17th 2014 4:07 am

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 11083381)
He may as well have done. I mean, it wasn't exactly the most objectively written film in the history of cinema :D

Compared to MG's other historical masterpiece (The Patriot), the English were portrayed as saints in Braveheart.

SultanOfSwing Jan 17th 2014 4:08 am

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 11083400)
Compared to MG's other historical masterpiece (The Patriot), the English were portrayed as saints in Braveheart.

Well, quite.

I actually do like both films well enough but I know to suspend disbelief when I watch them.

Pulaski Jan 17th 2014 4:11 am

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 11083400)
Compared to MG's other hisystoerical masterpiece ....

FIFY :)

dunroving Jan 17th 2014 4:11 am

Originally Posted by neilcumming (Post 11083347)
Hes an american ,a distant relative of "Sir William" who wrote the screenplay for Braveheart.

No he's not, because Wikipedia doesn't say he is.

Or if he is, it's just like every American who discovers they are "related" to British royalty (usually means an ancient relative used to wipe the king's bottom, which I suppose is pretty close).

dunroving Jan 17th 2014 4:13 am

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 11083403)
Well, quite.

I actually do like both films well enough but I know to suspend disbelief when I watch them.

I presume to suspend disbelief, you watch it with the sound off and subtitles on?

Pulaski Jan 17th 2014 4:14 am

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 11083406)
No he's not, because Wikipedia doesn't say he is. .....

Wikipedia can be fixed pretty easily. :sneaky:

dunroving Jan 17th 2014 4:14 am

Rather than suspending disbelief could we suspend this thread? I'm not getting any work done but I don't want to miss anything.

SultanOfSwing Jan 17th 2014 4:17 am

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 11083413)
I presume to suspend disbelief, you watch it with the sound off and subtitles on?

Nah, it's a few hours of escapism. They're enjoyable films, even if they are historically way off the mark.

Although my wife likes to take the piss when The Patriot is on. "Oh, look, it's your favourite film ..." :D. That being said, it's an OK way to pass a quiet evening.

dunroving Jan 17th 2014 4:20 am

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 11083428)
Nah, it's a few hours of escapism. They're enjoyable films, even if they are historically way off the mark.

Although my wife likes to take the piss when The Patriot is on. "Oh, look, it's your favourite film ..." :D. That being said, it's an OK way to pass a quiet evening.

Like you, I enjoy a couple of hours of such escapist entertainment, but I find it hard to overlook bad accents (hence sound off/subtitles on). I can suspend my beliefs about gravity, time, space, historical record, but not what an accent should sound like. :blah:

Nutek Jan 17th 2014 4:24 am

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 11083403)
Well, quite.

I've never actually managed to make it all the way through either of them.

SultanOfSwing Jan 17th 2014 4:27 am

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 11083440)
Like you, I enjoy a couple of hours of such escapist entertainment, but I find it hard to overlook bad accents (hence sound off/subtitles on). I can suspend my beliefs about gravity, time, space, historical record, but not what an accent should sound like. :blah:

I'm from Northern Ireland. All we have are bad accents there :D

It desensitises me from hearing them on screen but I've done enough community theatre to know that it takes minimal effort to do a passable Scottish or English accent. I sympathise with your position on that one ...

Originally Posted by Nutek (Post 11083446)
I've never actually managed to make it all the way through either of them.

They're OK. Not favourites of mine but they do the job.

neilcumming Jan 17th 2014 4:49 am

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 11083406)
No he's not, because Wikipedia doesn't say he is.

Or if he is, it's just like every American who discovers they are "related" to British royalty (usually means an ancient relative used to wipe the king's bottom, which I suppose is pretty close).

I read somewhere at the time the movie came out he was related,maybe it was just hype but he has the clan name.The real story is much better.

dunroving Jan 17th 2014 4:54 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by neilcumming (Post 11083510)
I read somewhere at the time the movie came out he was related,maybe it was just hype but he has the clan name.The real story is much better.

Using similar logic, this bloke is related to the Queen.