British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   the Scottish independence issue (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/scottish-independence-issue-817782/)

scrubbedexpat099 Jan 12th 2014 5:39 pm

Re: the Scottish independence issue

My understanding is that like so many other things the legal system is not stand alone, there will be many areas to be looked into.

Steerpike Jan 12th 2014 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 11073977)
Did you answer the question about why you put such odd spacing in your writing? It makes you seem slightly mad.

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 11074021)
I'm quite interested in what you have to say but it's hard to unravel it. I thought maybe you had an explanation.

I've grown accustomed to the odd/sloppy punctuation habits of many posters, and I can overlook all the capitalization issues, but there is something truly mind-bending about this poster's use of spaces BEFORE commas and periods! I think my brain tries to figure out some kind of a pattern, but - he does have SOME punctuation that is correct, so that blows that theory! If it is some odd form of dyslexia, I'm curious to know what it is. I do know Indians put spaces in front of commas/periods. I'm also wondering if he is using some speech-to-text program, and if so, which one. Bottom line is, every post he makes has my brain trying to figure out his punctuation logic rather than reading the content!

Sally Redux Jan 12th 2014 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by Steerpike (Post 11075142)
I've grown accustomed to the odd/sloppy punctuation habits of many posters, and I can overlook all the capitalization issues, but there is something truly mind-bending about this poster's use of spaces BEFORE commas and periods! I think my brain tries to figure out some kind of a pattern, but - he does have SOME punctuation that is correct, so that blows that theory! If it is some odd form of dyslexia, I'm curious to know what it is. I do know Indians put spaces in front of commas/periods. I'm also wondering if he is using some speech-to-text program, and if so, which one. Bottom line is, every post he makes has my brain trying to figure out his punctuation logic rather than reading the content!

Yes, it doesn't even follow a rule like "always a space before a comma".

On the Connery issue, obviously the bloke can live where he likes, but to dictate policy at 'home' when he doesn't want to pay taxes into that system rather weakens his position.

Pulaski Jan 13th 2014 12:36 am

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 11075047)
.... what about Legal system?

Er, Scotland already has its own legal system, which is separate from the English system, and has definite differences. Some say it's better, others disagree, I'm not sure :unsure: ; I think it's not proven. ;)

Originally Posted by neilcumming (Post 11074994)
You really believe what the polls say,if so you must be the only one.

Funnily enough I often doubt the validity of opinion polls,.... but only when I don't agree with the outcome they're suggesting. :lol:

In practice these days most opinion polls are a fairly good predictor of outcomes. If they weren't newspapers and other media wouldn't pay much for them. In the case of the Scottish independence question the opinion polls have rarely moved far from around 30% supporting independence, and about 50% opposed. That so many polls over a decade or more show such consistent results is a strong indication that the results have some meaning.

Mr Weeze Jan 13th 2014 12:57 am

We could have a poll to say who's winning. But you probably wouldn't believe the result.

dunroving Jan 13th 2014 10:12 am

9,998 posts

dunroving Jan 13th 2014 10:12 am

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 11075955)
9,998 posts

9,999 posts

dunroving Jan 13th 2014 10:15 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 11075955)
9,998 posts

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 11075957)
9,999 posts

10,000 posts.

OK, as you were, back to arguing about Scotland. I'm off to buy my lottery tickets to go with my "Lucky 10,000th post"

If I win, I plan to buy a house next door to Sir Sean on Lyford Cay.

I'll wake him up every morning by shouting over the wall:

"FREEEEEEDOOOOOOOOMMMMMM ..... urgh!"

Lion in Winter Jan 13th 2014 11:17 am

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 11075964)
10,000 posts.

Does this mean you've won?

Yorkieabroad Jan 13th 2014 11:30 am

According to our own poll, conducted this last weekend, Salmond has made a big error in the mechanics of the referendum. He should have insisted the poll included ALL UK residents, not just Scottish residents.

If the referendum goes according to our highly representative sample of 12, the vote among Scots will be zero in favour of independence, but if the whole of the UK got to vote, those in favour of independence for Scotland would increase to almost 42%:rofl:

There was a lengthy debate along the lines of "what have the Romans ever done for us", but it petered out after decent whisky and Rab C Nesbitt, with a short, but heated discussion as to whether Haggis should be considered a benefit or a blight.

Yorkieabroad Jan 13th 2014 11:37 am

Ps, should have added...there was only one true scot in the sample (unless you count the 1/16 Scottish American) and he is a lifelong Tory voter (you knew there had to be one somewhere) so may not be totally representative of the man on the Glasgow omnibus....;)

scrubbedexpat099 Jan 13th 2014 3:11 pm

Just to explain the Legal system comment, there has been a lot of discussion as to how the UK has given away its self determination on legal matters to the EU Courts, one of the issues anti EU parties mention all the time.

Scotland is one removed and will have a total mish mash, it would have to decide how it was to deal with the EU layer as a start.

It would take decades to sort out.

Pulaski Jan 13th 2014 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad (Post 11076062)
..... If the referendum goes according to our highly representative sample of 12, the vote among Scots will be zero in favour of independence, but if the whole of the UK got to vote, those in favour of independence for Scotland would increase to almost 42%. .....

So what you're saying is, that there is no hope of getting a majority for Scottish independence no matter how you try to rig the vote! :lol:

scrubbedexpat099 Jan 13th 2014 4:19 pm

You keep on asking until they get it right.

neilcumming Jan 13th 2014 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by holly_1948 (Post 11074993)
Thank you.

In particular the Scottish Mental Health Act.
The secret court baby theft could not have happened in Scotland.

Or at least she would not have been denied due process, she would have had the right to argue in court that she was not insane and should not have her pregnancy ended prematurely by Caesarian section. As it was the possibly false allegations of mental incompetence made against her were kept secret from her and she had no opportunity to challenge them. That would not have happened in Scotland.

No problem,Im here to help:)