British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   the Scottish independence issue (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/scottish-independence-issue-817782/)

Sally Redux Sep 10th 2014 10:29 am

Re: the Scottish independence issue

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 11400265)
It feels very strange to think I could soon be a Scottish citizen.

Congratulations...Jimmy.

Michael Sep 10th 2014 5:28 pm

Royal Bank of Scotland and Lloyds to move HQ's south after Yes vote | Herald Scotland

Yorkieabroad Sep 11th 2014 12:34 am

Gotta love some of the comments on these articles - like the one that wouldn't miss them because they aren't really scottish banks anyway and only survived on Westminster bailouts, and then goes on to mention 3 banks he would prefer to use Airdrie Savings and Loan (fair enough), then Tesco Bank and Santander:rofl:

scot47 Sep 11th 2014 2:48 am

Bailouts actually came from the Federal Reserve bank in DC. Westminster had heehaw to do with it !

nun Sep 11th 2014 2:53 am

Looks like Westminster told the bankers that it would be a good time to make some comments and ramp up the NO arguments. The bankers and the politicians...in fact the whole power establishment....are scared. Emotionally I'd like to see Scotland stay in the UK, but my head says go and save yourselves from the Tory and New Labour policies.

scot47 Sep 11th 2014 2:57 am

Nun
I hope you are not suggesting that our fearless press are influenced by politicians and the Establishment !

Yorkieabroad Sep 11th 2014 3:13 am

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 11401207)
Bailouts actually came from the Federal Reserve bank in DC. Westminster had heehaw to do with it !

Well, that can't be right because everything is Westminsters fault, didn't you know;).

Was that the only bit of the post that rang any twunt alarm bells? Have a shufti at the comments. Very enlightening........

Pulaski Sep 11th 2014 3:51 am

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 11401207)

I'm pretty sure that it was HM Government that nationalised RBS and put a large capital injection into Lloyds, not the US Federal government. :rolleyes:

Yorkieabroad Sep 11th 2014 4:09 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11401311)
I'm pretty sure that it was HM Government that nationalised RBS and put a large capital injection into Lloyds, not the US Federal government. :rolleyes:

But HMG never did diddly squat for Scotland apart from rape its natural resources and kill its industry............:unsure:

Did you get to read the comments before they closed them - there were some great ones along the lines of "Independent Scotland won't need the Financial Services industry anyway - we'll be better off without it and returning to our industrial roots" :blink:

Yorkieabroad Sep 11th 2014 9:01 am

Originally Posted by rpjs (Post 11396546)
Indeed, the Catalan regional government has scheduled an independence vote for November, but unlike the Scottish vote vis-a-vis the UK, the Spanish central government has denounced it as illegal and has stated it will refuse to recognise a "Yes" result.

BBC Radio reporting demonstrations in favor of a "Scotland Style referendum" in Barcelona today...

Ruth16 Sep 11th 2014 9:21 am

Silly question but if Scotland becomes a country on its own will brits need a passport to go there, it's such a short drive ..for some

Yorkieabroad Sep 11th 2014 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Ruth16 (Post 11401711)
Silly question but if Scotland becomes a country on its own will brits need a passport to go there, it's such a short drive ..for some

Its crossing the border that counts, not how long the journey is.

nun Sep 11th 2014 9:35 am

Originally Posted by Ruth16 (Post 11401711)

SNP say there won't be any border controls on the Scottish side. The UK Government hasn't said anything firm on the matter.

I asked SNP on what it's immigration policy would be for those with UK passports and they said that there would be no restrictions at all on UK passport holders moving to and working in Scotland.

Yorkieabroad Sep 11th 2014 10:11 am

Originally Posted by nun (Post 11401723)
SNP say there won't be any border controls on the Scottish side. The UK Government hasn't said anything firm on the matter.

So no land border controls? Are they just leaving the land border open because they assume that anyone coming in that way is either an England/Wales resident, or has passed through other UK border controls? Are they planning anything for sea or air access, or is everything going to be totally open access...?

sir_eccles Sep 11th 2014 10:37 am

Perhaps the "yes" camp are secretly hoping "no" wins. I mean why bother wasting all that time and money planning out all the fiddly bits if the vote goes "no", you'd have done all that planning for nothing.