Roadkill Guilt

Old Apr 23rd 2019, 3:26 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roadkill Guilt

Originally Posted by caretaker
Nope, both are dark and a little gamey. ....
Not the goose I had it wasn't.

Maybe farmed goose has a similar relationship to wild goose as farmed turkey does to wild turkey, and pork does to wild boar, as you'd swear that wild turkey and wild boar are different animals from their farmed cousins based on the difference in flavor, colour, and texture of the meat.
Old Apr 23rd 2019, 3:30 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam
….. "Deconstructed" steak and kidney pie?, ...
No food should ever be "deconstructed" except with a knife and fork held by the diner.

Food also shouldn't be stacked up in a pile, like a bizarre attempt to model the Leaning Tower of Pisa using meat and vegetables!
Old Apr 23rd 2019, 3:39 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
They must make a nice crunching sound in the trash compactor.
I never stuck around long enough to find out. Though in every case they'd been dead long enough to smell, so they were probably pretty soft by the time they got there. They were always in one of the adhesive traps, so I just bung that in a plastic bag and dump it, which is where my involvement ends.

We were trying to work out where 'our' mouse came from, we're in a very built-up urban area and scouse keeps the house spotless (hope that doesn't make him a housewife!). We think it might have come in from next door, the lady there is forever scattering food around for the birds.
They're always running around somewhere, even in built-up areas. I haven't seen any in my house, but I can't say for sure that the cat hasn't eaten any either.
Old Apr 23rd 2019, 4:49 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Not the goose I had it wasn't
Canada Geese, Snow Geese, Ross's Geese, Speckled Geese, Sandhill Cranes and most wild ducks have a few things in common. I've eaten them all, and know these facts to be true. I've never picked up roadkilled geese or ducks, but on many occasions my Bogey would tear off into the cat-tails while we walked along the causeway and come back with wounded birds that someone had failed to retrieve earlier.

Old Apr 23rd 2019, 5:34 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

I'm liking the sound of that grilled lobster. I'm a bit basic though, I'd probably replace the piri-piri sauce with a squeeze of fresh lemon.
Oh, lemon too , but real piri-piri oil passed through clarified butter gives it a kick!
Old Apr 24th 2019, 1:09 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I don't care what other people do or think, but his post had a disconnect. Aside from both being waterfowl, duck meat and goose meat is totally different - one is dark and a little gamey, the other is bland and greasy, it would be like saying "I don't like chess or fly fishing", or "I don't like Peru or Stoke on Trent". It is certainly possible to not like both, but the reasons for each pretty much have to be different.

You might be surprised at the smell of peanut processing and transport - an ar-tic of nuts smells like a ripe portaloo.
I am just not that keen on dining on winged carnivore, perhaps it dates back to the sieventies when the only meat we softie Southerners could afford to eat was chicken, better than coal I suppose but that stuff was expensive...
Smell doesn't bother me, if Cadbury's chocolate factory can smell rank nothing else will ever surprise me when it smells bad!

Front loading washing machines to you too.
Old Apr 24th 2019, 1:54 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
I am just not that keen on dining on winged carnivore, perhaps it dates back to the sieventies when the only meat we softie Southerners could afford to eat was chicken, better than coal I suppose but that stuff was expensive...
Smell doesn't bother me, if Cadbury's chocolate factory can smell rank nothing else will ever surprise me when it smells bad!

Front loading washing machines to you too.
Chicken in the seventies........ we're back to moist cardboard again.

Like battery-chickens and eggs and intensively farmed pork, food where cost is driven out is rarely anything more than protein.
Old Apr 24th 2019, 1:58 pm

…., food where cost is driven out is rarely anything more than protein.
…. Or carbohydrates - round red tomatoes and golden delicious apples being two prime examples.
Old Apr 24th 2019, 2:27 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

food where cost is driven out is rarely anything more than protein.

I've eaten road-killed potatoes, and they're good. When the trucks are hauling spuds from the warehouse in Craven to towns further north, some usually fall off, and that's the highway I commuted on. Some were already peeled. In the Okanagan some apples and other fruit on the way to the packing house doesn't quite make it, but that gets cleaned up quickly, likewise the unfortunate deer, bears, elk, etc that failed to negotiate traffic the night before. Road-killed tomatoes is not a thing.
Old Apr 24th 2019, 3:23 pm
Resident Cynic

Originally Posted by caretaker

I've eaten road-killed potatoes, and they're good. When the trucks are hauling spuds from the warehouse in Craven to towns further north, some usually fall off, and that's the highway I commuted on. Some were already peeled. In the Okanagan some apples and other fruit on the way to the packing house doesn't quite make it, but that gets cleaned up quickly, likewise the unfortunate deer, bears, elk, etc that failed to negotiate traffic the night before. Road-killed tomatoes is not a thing.
In the UK it's onions and sugar beet - in the Alentejo, nothing.
The Alentejo is a black hole for things left unattended/unwanted - recycling of complex items means just leaving it near the communal bins.
If it has value or can be "fixed", it's gone before you can blink, if it hasn't, then it really is rubbish.

Eating roadkill in the Alentejo would mean a diet of cats and the occasional dog. Other forms of protein would be so rare as not to count.
Old Apr 24th 2019, 5:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Imagine, if you will, a world where people make up their own minds about what they like and don't like to eat.

Jesus, every thread on this site becomes bloody insufferable as soon as someone starts talking about either food, or appliances.
I have to disagree with you here! Talking about food is the next best thing to actually tasting it. There are so many threads on here that end up being juvenile pissing matches ... "You obviously don't understand ..." being a common retort. Or, Boiler shows up and throws out some utterly random useless link that everyone then chases down rabbit holes for 5 pages ... or DC Coop reminds us why we never liked visiting our grumpy old grandad ... give me food foreplay any day!
Old Apr 24th 2019, 6:30 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I have to disagree with you here! Talking about food is the next best thing to actually tasting it. There are so many threads on here that end up being juvenile pissing matches ... "You obviously don't understand ..." being a common retort. Or, Boiler shows up and throws out some utterly random useless link that everyone then chases down rabbit holes for 5 pages ... or DC Coop reminds us why we never liked visiting our grumpy old grandad ... give me food foreplay any day!
The problem with talking about food is that it's so subjective it gets kind of pointless after a while.

People actually click on Boiler's links though?
Old Apr 24th 2019, 6:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
The problem with talking about food is that it's so subjective it gets kind of pointless after a while.

People actually click on Boiler's links though?
Occasionally ... about 1 in 20 of Boiler's links are interesting. The one about Seattle homeless was interesting, as was a link about possible financial troubles. I often think Boiler is some college graduate's AI project; let's see if we can create a 'bot' that posts 'relevant' stuff in threads. They clearly did a shit job, with 95% failure rate (they would never be hired by Cambridge Analytica, or whatever that became), but once in a while they get it right, and thus they soldier on with their experiment ... to the detriment of everyone else. I'd be quite fascinated to learn what goes on inside Boiler's head, should that head be real ...

As for food - just reading (eg) Mac's cooking exploits makes me salivate and want to eat exactly what he's talking about. I absolutely love food, but I'm simply too lazy to bother cooking it myself so I tend to eat out for my kicks or, live vicariously through these posts of others ... .
Old Apr 24th 2019, 7:03 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

On food well do not watch if you like Shrimp:

Old Apr 24th 2019, 7:08 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Boiler
On food well do not watch if you like Shrimp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJVrCnjL4a8
If the shrimp wasn't run over by a car, it is of no interest in this thread.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.