Roadkill Guilt

Old Apr 23rd 2019, 2:43 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roadkill Guilt

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Imagine, if you will, a world where people make up their own minds about what they like and don't like to eat.

Jesus, every thread on this site becomes bloody insufferable as soon as someone starts talking about either food, or appliances.
Imagine there's no poultry
It's easy if you try
No duck below us
No turkey in the sky
Old Apr 23rd 2019, 2:45 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Imagine there's no poultry
It's easy if you try
No duck below us
No turkey in the sky
Nothing against poultry as such, chicken is one of my favorites. It's the gatekeeping and food snobbery that almost always surfaces that rubs me about as well as asphalt bog roll.
Old Apr 23rd 2019, 2:53 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing against poultry as such, chicken is one of my favorites. It's the gatekeeping and food snobbery that almost always surfaces that rubs me about as well as asphalt bog roll.
Wouldn't be too bad if the asphalt bog roll was nestling on an organic garden pea puree
I'm with you re. food snobbery. Scouse and I have just been discussing a dilemma we have. My sister gave me a $300 gift card for a precinct of wanky restaurants and bars in the City, and we can't find one that has anything edible on the menu. Pigs head croquettes, anyone? Line caught wild fish, puffed rice crust, squid ink cured egg yolk, lovage, coastal greens and fennel barigoule? I think we'll just go and drink $300 worth of cocktails and pick up fish and chips on the way home.
Old Apr 23rd 2019, 2:54 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Imagine, if you will, a world where people make up their own minds about what they like and don't like to eat. ....
I don't care what other people do or think, but his post had a disconnect. Aside from both being waterfowl, duck meat and goose meat is totally different - one is dark and a little gamey, the other is bland and greasy, it would be like saying "I don't like chess or fly fishing", or "I don't like Peru or Stoke on Trent". It is certainly possible to not like both, but the reasons for each pretty much have to be different.
Originally Posted by zzrmark
…. Not many things turn my stomach, working in a trawler's dill never put me off fish ( but I bet it would put off most other people, they rank number two to sewage plants for nastiness - yes I've done work in those too) and bovine slaughterhouses never put me off beef ...
You might be surprised at the smell of peanut processing and transport - an ar-tic of nuts smells like a ripe portaloo.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 23rd 2019 at 3:05 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2019, 2:57 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldn't be too bad if the asphalt bog roll was nestling on an organic garden pea puree
It'd give an excuse to charge more money for it, I suppose.

I'm with you re. food snobbery. Scouse and I have just been discussing a dilemma we have. My sister gave me a $300 gift card for a precinct of wanky restaurants and bars in the City, and we can't find one that has anything edible on the menu. Pigs head croquettes, anyone? Line caught wild fish, puffed rice crust, squid ink cured egg yolk, lovage, coastal greens and fennel barigoule? I think we'll just go and drink $300 worth of cocktails and pick up fish and chips on the way home.
It just gets too much, all the pretentious wank. I will say that 'eat what you want' goes for everything but just because someone doesn't like this thing, or that thing, shouldn't mean they need to be ridiculed for it either.

I guess I should have run something over on the way into work this morning to get us back on track. A small bug did try to drown itself in my glass of water though, does that count? No guilt or remorse was felt, I will add, as I dumped it down the sink so I could refill though.
Old Apr 23rd 2019, 3:01 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I don't care what other people do or think, but his post had a disconnect. Aside from both being waterfowl, duck meat and goose meat is totally different - one is dark and a little gamey, the other is bland and greasy, it would be like saying "I don't like chess or fly fishing", or "I don't like Peru or Stoke on Trent".
In fairness, he did say he didn't like chicken or turkey either, so it makes no difference what birds you're talking about if he doesn't like to eat any of them.
Old Apr 23rd 2019, 3:02 pm
Concierge

It'd give an excuse to charge more money for it, I suppose.

It just gets too much, all the pretentious wank. I will say that 'eat what you want' goes for everything but just because someone doesn't like this thing, or that thing, shouldn't mean they need to be ridiculed for it either.

I guess I should have run something over on the way into work this morning to get us back on track. A small bug did try to drown itself in my glass of water though, does that count? No guilt or remorse was felt, I will add, as I dumped it down the sink so I could refill though.
A drowned small bug must be relevant. So must the mouse that scouse tried to chase out of the house tonight with a broom, except he accidentally killed it. Was a bit upset about it too (the husband I mean, although the mouse was probably a bit pissed off as well).

I just realised that I wrote mouse, scouse and house in the same sentence. I'm sure I was a poet in a former life.
Old Apr 23rd 2019, 3:05 pm
I have a comma problem

A drowned small bug must be relevant. So must the mouse that scouse tried to chase out of the house tonight with a broom, except he accidentally killed it. Was a bit upset about it too (the husband I mean, although the mouse was probably a bit pissed off as well).
I had a mouse in my bin at work a few weeks back. We get them all the time because we're surrounded by fields and whatever mice the hawks don't eat like to come inside to shit all over our stuff. Anyway, I kept hearing this rustling and eventually traced the sound to a mouse stuck in my bin trying to jump out. Easy enough to deal with because the bag had just been changed, I just gathered it up and let him go out back, but that was a first for me.

I just realised that I wrote mouse, scouse and house in the same sentence. I'm sure I was a poet in a former life.
I mean, you're no Philip Larkin, but yeah not bad
Old Apr 23rd 2019, 3:08 pm
Concierge

I had a mouse in my bin at work a few weeks back. We get them all the time because we're surrounded by fields and whatever mice the hawks don't eat like to come inside to shit all over our stuff. Anyway, I kept hearing this rustling and eventually traced the sound to a mouse stuck in my bin trying to jump out. Easy enough to deal with because the bag had just been changed, I just gathered it up and let him go out back, but that was a first for me.

I mean, you're no Philip Larkin, but yeah not bad
You're a nice person, unlike my mouse murdering husband.
Better not give up my day job, wouldn't even earn two bob. I'll stop now
Old Apr 23rd 2019, 3:10 pm
I have a comma problem

You're a nice person, unlike my mouse murdering husband.
Better not give up my day job, wouldn't even earn two bob. I'll stop now
There is an above average chance that if it didn't come back in at some point, a hawk got him anyway, so you know - circle of life and all that. We have traps set up anyway, most of the time I'm disposing of dead mice in the trash compactor, rather than releasing live ones.
Old Apr 23rd 2019, 3:13 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

I don't care what other people do or think, but his post had a disconnect. Aside from both being waterfowl, duck meat and goose meat is totally different - one is dark and a little gamey, the other is bland and greasy, it would be like saying "I don't like chess or fly fishing", or "I don't like Peru or Stoke on Trent". It is certainly possible to not like both, but the reasons for each pretty much have to be different.

You might be surprised at the smell of peanut processing and transport - an ar-tic of nuts smells like a ripe portaloo.
A girlfriend many, many, years back lived near the Robinson's jam factory in Brislington..
Now, I like jam as much as the next sugar-addict, but there were a couple of weeks in the summer when I made sure we met somewhere else.
Strawberry jam, in the jar, can be a delight. Strawberry jam smell, in the air, is not.......
Old Apr 23rd 2019, 3:13 pm
Concierge

There is an above average chance that if it didn't come back in at some point, a hawk got him anyway, so you know - circle of life and all that. We have traps set up anyway, most of the time I'm disposing of dead mice in the trash compactor, rather than releasing live ones.
They must make a nice crunching sound in the trash compactor.

We were trying to work out where 'our' mouse came from, we're in a very built-up urban area and scouse keeps the house spotless (hope that doesn't make him a housewife!). We think it might have come in from next door, the lady there is forever scattering food around for the birds.
Old Apr 23rd 2019, 3:14 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, both are dark and a little gamey. You roast a goose on a rack same way you do a tame duck, so the grease drains off (the exception being duck confit). The variations in wild duck are many; and they're all good (absolutely a matter of taste), though some lend themselves to certain dishes more easily than others. The smaller more pungent tasting ones are good for soups. For a long time I didn't like grocery store duck, considered it way too fatty and bland and inferior to wild duck. Now that it's been some years since I've been hunting I've come to like them.
Old Apr 23rd 2019, 3:22 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe despite appearances. I'm with you too..... I like good quality food cooked well - and making it isn't rocket science (heck, I can do it - and I always had the most horizontal fireworks on the planet!)
I was eating black pudding long before the chefs rediscovered it - and I haven't been too impressed on what they've done with it either. "Deconstructed" steak and kidney pie?, that's steak, kidney and pastry put together in a way that nobody cares about. BUT - grilled fresh lobster, on the coast, with a butter and piri-piri sauce....... now that is magic. But so is field mushroom soup, with smoked salmon and soda bread on the side. Sláinte agus táinte!

I'll shut up now
Old Apr 23rd 2019, 3:26 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by macliam
Maybe despite appearances. I'm with you too..... I like good quality food cooked well - and making it isn't rocket science (heck, I can do it - and I always had the most horizontal fireworks on the planet!)
I was eating black pudding long before the chefs rediscovered it - and I haven't been too impressed on what they've done with it either. "Deconstructed" steak and kidney pie?, that's steak, kidney and pastry put together in a way that nobody cares about. BUT - grilled fresh lobster, on the coast, with a butter and piri-piri sauce....... now that is magic. But so is field mushroom soup, with smoked salmon and soda bread on the side. Sláinte agus táinte!

I'll shut up now
I'm liking the sound of that grilled lobster. I'm a bit basic though, I'd probably replace the piri-piri sauce with a squeeze of fresh lemon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.