Quitting Smoking

Old Nov 2nd 2018, 1:53 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quitting Smoking

Originally Posted by civilservant
Day 7 and still going fine. I am finding that I think about it less and less everyday, which after only a week is somewhat surprising. It is also astonishing how fast my sense of smell has increased - I can smell things more than I have in years really quickly.

In other news, my wife tells me that she is going to start tapering down and then will quit because she 'doesn't want to smell disgusting to me' I told her that she needed a better reason than that, that she has to actually want to quit, and she said that she did. So sometimes example can get the desired result I suppose.

Well done.

As my former smoker OH says, tobacco is a rubbish drug - it doesn't do anything except temporarily remove the desire to have another cigarette.
Old Nov 5th 2018, 3:38 am
BE Enthusiast

KK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
It is also astonishing how fast my sense of smell has increased - I can smell things more than I have in years really quickly.
I used to live close to a train station, and would walk under a railway bridge every day on my way home from work. I had no idea just how heinous the smell of pigeon sh*t was under that bridge until I quit smoking! Truly, I had never sensed the stench until a week or so after the cigarettes stopped.

To this day, I am often taken aback by my newfound sensitivity to smells. I can smell stale cigarette smoke on freshly washed laundry - it's probably no surprise that cigarette smoke is the first and (for some) worst thing we pick up on (though I enjoyed the smell of my friends' cigarettes initially when I quit). Even the smell of coffee is sometimes obnoxious to me now. There are pluses to this heightened sense, of course.

I hope all is continuing to go well for you, OP.
Old Nov 5th 2018, 11:43 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks KK.

What is it now? Day 10 I think? It's going well, honestly I don't think about it all that much, except that I can smell it on other people now. Lord I stank before - I don't want to become one of those 'holier than thou' former smokers who talk down to current smokers, but having quit I can really see what people are saying about smokers stinking.

I'm glad I made the break, and while it's been a challenge at time, I really intend it to be for good.
Old Nov 5th 2018, 11:58 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You are doing wonderfully, CS. Congratulations on nearly two weeks smoke free.

Was traveling via car with my sister and brother-in-law to a Mississippi River town of Natchez to tour the plantation homes there. Of course, he is a reformed smoker, stopped immediately the day his lung collapsed, over 40 years ago, we don't smoke in the car. After having a 'before' trip cig, we got in the car and he said to me "you and your sister smell like ashtrays." I know its true.
Old Nov 5th 2018, 1:54 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KK85
I used to live close to a train station, and would walk under a railway bridge every day on my way home from work. I had no idea just how heinous the smell of pigeon sh*t was under that bridge until I quit smoking! Truly, I had never sensed the stench until a week or so after the cigarettes stopped.

To this day, I am often taken aback by my newfound sensitivity to smells. I can smell stale cigarette smoke on freshly washed laundry - it's probably no surprise that cigarette smoke is the first and (for some) worst thing we pick up on (though I enjoyed the smell of my friends' cigarettes initially when I quit). Even the smell of coffee is sometimes obnoxious to me now. There are pluses to this heightened sense, of course.

I hope all is continuing to go well for you, OP.
I recall there used to be an anti-smoking PSA (in the UK, I think), where a group of men are looking at a pretty girl and saying how they'd like to date her -- until one of them says, "She smokes -- it's like kissing an ashtray!" That really stuck in my memory, and when I fell for my non-smoking OH it encouraged me to quit. I agree completely about the newfound sensitivity to smells, which has never gone away -- this summer I found a gorgeous vintage tooled leather bag at a yard sale. Got it home and realized that it came from a smoking household. I have tried every trick known to man and the Internet to get the smoky odor out of it, to no avail. All have to do is walk into the storeroom where I've been treating it and I can smell it. I'm about to write it off as a lost cause and give it to a smoker friend.
Old Nov 5th 2018, 4:45 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I recall there used to be an anti-smoking PSA (in the UK, I think), where a group of men are looking at a pretty girl and saying how they'd like to date her -- until one of them says, "She smokes -- it's like kissing an ashtray!" That really stuck in my memory, and when I fell for my non-smoking OH it encouraged me to quit. I agree completely about the newfound sensitivity to smells, which has never gone away -- this summer I found a gorgeous vintage tooled leather bag at a yard sale. Got it home and realized that it came from a smoking household. I have tried every trick known to man and the Internet to get the smoky odor out of it, to no avail. All have to do is walk into the storeroom where I've been treating it and I can smell it. I'm about to write it off as a lost cause and give it to a smoker friend.

Saddle soap?

Also, try leaving it out in the sun and wind if you have any.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Nov 5th 2018 at 4:55 pm.
Old Nov 5th 2018, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

KK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond repute

-- this summer I found a gorgeous vintage tooled leather bag at a yard sale. Got it home and realized that it came from a smoking household. I have tried every trick known to man and the Internet to get the smoky odor out of it, to no avail. All have to do is walk into the storeroom where I've been treating it and I can smell it.
I had a similar experience with a pair of second-hand curtains. I bought them online from a lady who claimed they came from a non-smoking home. They were collected for me by a friend I was living with at the time, and as soon as I unfolded them, I could smell it. They'd clearly been laundered - they had that quite sickening, aromatic blend of stale smoke and laundry detergent. Frankly I'd prefer the smell of stale smoke on its own! I put them through the washing machine myself and even hung them up for a day, but I couldn't get the stink out and, like you, could smell them even as soon as I walked into my house. I finally returned them to the lady I bought them from, who insisted she and her family had never smoked around them. After a fashion, and after I was branded a liar, she gave me my money back.

Never underestimate the nostrils of a person who's given up smoking - they are powerful little orifices!

I'm sorry you haven't been able to rescue your bag.
Old Nov 5th 2018, 5:16 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Saddle soap?

Also, try leaving it out in the sun and wind if you have any.
What I have tried to date:

1. Sitting out in the sun.
2. Immersed in baking soda in a sealed bag.
3. Swabbed down with diluted alcohol.
4. Treated with Bick leather cleaner and Bick conditioner (if you have any older leather items that need a face lift, I swear by this stuff -- you get it on Amazon and it makes things look brand new).

The final step left the bag looking amazing, but still stinky. I admit defeat!

Originally Posted by KK85

I'm sorry you haven't been able to rescue your bag.
Thank you. It's a shame, as it's a lovely tooled western-style piece from the fifties.
Old Nov 5th 2018, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

4. Treated with Bick leather cleaner and Bick conditioner (if you have any older leather items that need a face lift, I swear by this stuff -- you get it on Amazon and it makes things look brand new).

Thank you. It's a shame, as it's a lovely tooled western-style piece from the fifties.

Perfume/cologne bath time? Did the diluted alcohol strip the colouring out of it?
Old Nov 5th 2018, 9:40 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Originally Posted by zzrmark
Perfume/cologne bath time? Did the diluted alcohol strip the colouring out of it?
No the color was unaffected -- sometimes it can darken leather, but it didn't in this instance. As to perfume -- that would just be a cover-up, rather than an exorcism, and I'm not big on perfumey stuff anyway, so I admit defeat!
Old Nov 5th 2018, 9:52 pm

I have read online that you can heat it gently in the oven - it opens the pores of the leather and lets the smell out, or something. You've nothing to lose at this point. Open the door a few times as you heat it to let the smell out.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Nov 5th 2018 at 9:54 pm.
Old Nov 5th 2018, 10:11 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe tie it up in a towel, put that in a pillow case, tie it shut, and put it in the clothes dryer for a couple of hot cycles. When I got a laptop back from a heavy smoker after a year my friend used that technique on the case to get the smell out.
Old Nov 5th 2018, 10:16 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
I have read online that you can heat it gently in the oven - it opens the pores of the leather and lets the smell out, or something. You've nothing to lose at this point. Open the door a few times as you heat it to let the smell out.
Originally Posted by caretaker
Maybe tie it up in a towel, put that in a pillow case, tie it shut, and put it in the clothes dryer for a couple of hot cycles. When I got a laptop back from a heavy smoker after a year my friend used that technique on the case to get the smell out.
Thanks for the suggestions — the sun didn’t do it, but perhaps artificial heat will! OP, apologies for hijacking your thread, but perhaps the odor removal suggestions will come in useful when you get to the stage when your sense of smell adjusts and you realize that all your things reek!
Old Nov 6th 2018, 11:42 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

My wife is now down to ultra-lights, and has stopped buying them a carton at a time. I honestly don't think she will be able to quit as easily as I have because she has been smoking for much much longer... but it seems that she has the will power to try, As for me, Day 11. Really the only reason I think about it now is because I post in this thread. The cravings are non-existent.
Old Nov 11th 2018, 10:08 am
Often not so civil...

Day 16.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.