Quitting Smoking

Old Oct 29th 2018, 6:20 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quitting Smoking

Well today is the first day at work without the little smoky friend - on the whole it's been ok, but when things get a little hectic and/or stressful it's a trigger for wanting a cigarette. Sensibly, I don't have any on me (or at the house) and have no intention of going out and buying a pack so wanting one or not is irrelevant because it isn't going to happen.
Old Oct 29th 2018, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

KK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Well today is the first day at work without the little smoky friend - on the whole it's been ok, but when things get a little hectic and/or stressful it's a trigger for wanting a cigarette. Sensibly, I don't have any on me (or at the house) and have no intention of going out and buying a pack so wanting one or not is irrelevant because it isn't going to happen.
Very well done! Like Rete said above, the habitual grabbing of a cigarette at times when you most commonly would, can be one of the hardest hurdles, especially in the beginning. It certainly was for me. You sound very determined and focused. I hope you have a treat of some kind in store for you when you get home.
Old Oct 29th 2018, 9:07 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Grab some Tic Tacs —handy little container to keep your fingers busy and mints to keep your mouth occupied. Worked for me!
Old Oct 30th 2018, 6:31 am
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger

Grab some Tic Tacs —handy little container to keep your fingers busy and mints to keep your mouth occupied. Worked for me!
I agree with this and it also worked for me. It's especially useful as a distraction during the hardest first couple of months.
Old Oct 31st 2018, 3:29 pm
JJ123

Jamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond repute

I quit almost 3 years ago and haven't touched a single cigarette since. I decided to go down the e-cigarette route. I had quit on and off for a few years, nothing seemed to keep me off of them though. I was recommended a fairly expensive e-cigarette and found an e-liquid which I really liked. I probably used this for a month or so, then realized that I had no need for it or cigarettes anymore. With all the negative Press e-cigarettes get, it can be off putting. My thoughts were, surely they can't be any worse than cigarettes.

I'd recommend anyone try an e-cig. Definitely worked for me. Just be careful not to get too high of a nicotine count in the liquid, otherwise you'll just get addicted to the e-cig. One thing I will say though, I was constantly puffing on that thing. With a cigarette, you almost have a routine and have one at certain points during the day. With an e-cig, I found myself always smoking it as it was always there and I could smoke it indoors. But, I had a low nicotine count so it was easy enough to quit using it.
Old Oct 31st 2018, 3:45 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Well it's day 5 and still going strong. I have found that I really need to keep myself busy around 'smoke break' times in order to not think about the fact that I should be going out to have one right about now - but funnily enough at home (where I always smoked more) it isn't bothering me at all.
Old Oct 31st 2018, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

KK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond repute

Well it's day 5 and still going strong. I have found that I really need to keep myself busy around 'smoke break' times in order to not think about the fact that I should be going out to have one right about now - but funnily enough at home (where I always smoked more) it isn't bothering me at all.
It's the ritual of a smoke break, isn't it. At home, time is more of a free-for-all and so there are less regimented, designated times where you 'should' be smoking. Your brain's not having to forget a learned behaviour quite so much at home. Almost the first week down!
Old Oct 31st 2018, 3:53 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Out with the bad air, in with the good air.
Old Nov 1st 2018, 12:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat027 is an unknown quantity at this point

I smoked for 20 years and gave up around 5 years ago. Yes, it can be very difficult and there are a whole bunch of issues to work through but I really would advise against any form of nicotine replacement. It just prolongs the agony. I used Nicorette lozenges for a long while and thought I was doing great until I tried to come off them. I was just as addicted. In the end, the tic tac method worked for me too, and I second the recommendation for Allen Carr's quit smoking books.
Old Nov 1st 2018, 11:48 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

This is probably because you have things that interest you at home to take your mind off the craving. Also if you never smoked in your house, you aren't forcing yourself to go outside for a cig.

A wise friend who gave up smoking once told me: When you start to think about having a cigarette, immediately think of something else. Your mind cannot do both thoughts at the same time. It does work and it was only my caving in to a craving that quit my 3 month quit streak a few years ago. Pity me.
Old Nov 2nd 2018, 3:04 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with it CS.
I quit using the cold turkey method twice. First time in '94 when my first was born. Stupidly enough took it up again 12 years later. Second time around was much easier as finding rolling baccy in the US was tricky and a 50g a day Drum habit was just as pricey in the US as it was in Europe. 3 year anniversary must have just passed.
I found that chewing gum was helpful.
Old Nov 2nd 2018, 3:41 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck
Old Nov 2nd 2018, 4:34 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Well done you. Your lungs will thank you.
Old Nov 2nd 2018, 11:38 am
Often not so civil...

Day 7 and still going fine. I am finding that I think about it less and less everyday, which after only a week is somewhat surprising. It is also astonishing how fast my sense of smell has increased - I can smell things more than I have in years really quickly.

In other news, my wife tells me that she is going to start tapering down and then will quit because she 'doesn't want to smell disgusting to me' I told her that she needed a better reason than that, that she has to actually want to quit, and she said that she did. So sometimes example can get the desired result I suppose.
Old Nov 2nd 2018, 1:49 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Day 7 and still going fine. I am finding that I think about it less and less everyday, which after only a week is somewhat surprising. It is also astonishing how fast my sense of smell has increased - I can smell things more than I have in years really quickly.

In other news, my wife tells me that she is going to start tapering down and then will quit because she 'doesn't want to smell disgusting to me' I told her that she needed a better reason than that, that she has to actually want to quit, and she said that she did. So sometimes example can get the desired result I suppose.
Actually, it was not wanting to smell disgusting to my non-smoking OH that made me want to quit. I think it's a pretty good reason to be concerned about a loved one.

And congrats on the one week anniversary!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.