Pet Peeves?

Old Sep 7th 2017, 2:16 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pet Peeves?

Originally Posted by Pulaski
They have vans in Sheffield.

I hear it was yokels in the west country that delivered bread by bicycle on impossibly steep cobbled streets.
On yer bike!
Old Sep 7th 2017, 4:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
So long as they don't cause an accident, why do you care?

Some Americans have a weird obsession with "following the rules", especially when it comes to driving. If I am turning right at a STOP sign, or even if I am turning left or going straight across, and there are no traffic or pedestrians around, who cares if I don't actually come to a complete stop. (And yes, I mean when driving, not riding a bicycle.)

In any case, if coming to a complete stop is somehow important, why doesn't traffic have to stop before turning left when leaving a main road by crossing the path of oncoming traffic?
Because they do cause accidents and do nearly cause accidents when they run stop signs and red lights and there are cars around and do hit pedestrians at times as well.

If nobody and no cars are around, I don't care if they stop or not.

I stop at red lights as I don't want a ticket and pay hundreds in a fine, and since cops routinely have cars that are not marked, hard to know if the car behind you is a cop, and with so many lights now with cameras, even if nobody is around, the camera is there to catch you running the light.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 4:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Made in Sheffield 1
My husband always tells me of the time his older sister had one of those girly fold up bikes in the 80s.
She was riding it down a steep hill near Barnsley Road when the lock came loose and folded up on itself.

He still laughs about it now (he's 42, she's 46). Younger brothers, eh?
That is a funny image. I bet Nutek can't find a picture for that one.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 5:20 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
That is a funny image. I bet Nutek can't find a picture for that one.
Old Sep 20th 2017, 6:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Pet Peeve - hotels that have very modern thermostats that don't offer a 'heat' / 'cool' setting - just a temperature setting. I guess they think they are being helpful, not confusing the poor guest with the difficult concept of a heating and a cooling mode, but what you lose out on is, the ability to set a 'minimum' temperature.

I don't like to hear the noise of any fans when I'm sleeping, so I will tend to run the a/c while I'm awake (and preferably out), to get down to a low temperature (for me, 72), then set the thermostat at, say, 78 when I sleep - the idea being, ONLY run the A/C during the night should the temperature rise to 78. But with these confounded new thermostats, as soon as you dial up '78', it says, ah ha - current temp = 72, requested temp = 78, therefore I go into heating mode and heat the room to 78' .... Grrr.
Old Sep 20th 2017, 7:25 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I also hate those things.

I much prefer the ones you can set on cool and leave on without it going off as I like the sound of the fan when sleeping.

I cannot sleep in hotels without background noise.

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Pet Peeve - hotels that have very modern thermostats that don't offer a 'heat' / 'cool' setting - just a temperature setting. I guess they think they are being helpful, not confusing the poor guest with the difficult concept of a heating and a cooling mode, but what you lose out on is, the ability to set a 'minimum' temperature.

I don't like to hear the noise of any fans when I'm sleeping, so I will tend to run the a/c while I'm awake (and preferably out), to get down to a low temperature (for me, 72), then set the thermostat at, say, 78 when I sleep - the idea being, ONLY run the A/C during the night should the temperature rise to 78. But with these confounded new thermostats, as soon as you dial up '78', it says, ah ha - current temp = 72, requested temp = 78, therefore I go into heating mode and heat the room to 78' .... Grrr.
Old Sep 20th 2017, 5:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

My thermostat only does that on auto mode. I only use cool mode in the summer for this very reason. I wish IFTTT would change the mode, it only appears to be able to change the temperature on my thermostat.
Old Sep 20th 2017, 8:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
My thermostat only does that on auto mode. I only use cool mode in the summer for this very reason. I wish IFTTT would change the mode, it only appears to be able to change the temperature on my thermostat.
What's your thermostat? I just bought an Ecobee 3.
Old Sep 20th 2017, 8:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

What's your thermostat? I just bought an Ecobee 3.
I have a Honeywell thermostat, but I think they are all similar. I have a heat pump, not sure if that makes a difference.
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 2:26 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

People whose primary contribution seems to be starting threads with the sole intent of bragging and attention whoring.
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 2:30 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
People whose primary contribution seems to be starting threads with the sole intent of bragging and attention whoring.
This is why I never start threads

It has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that I am utterly bereft of ideas ...
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by Leslie
Well I ... well...

Umm..

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
It has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that I am utterly bereft of ideas ...
Maybe a poll... Must be some crap out there we can turn into one.
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 2:38 pm

What's your thermostat?
/New game show
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 2:50 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
Maybe a poll... Must be some crap out there we can turn into one.
You answered your own question with this one:

Originally Posted by Nutek
/New game show
Prime WGAF Poll material there. Mine's at 73, for example.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

In the grocery store, so many items come in three sizes - regular, large, and extra large. Except the extra large is only slightly larger than the large, and often it isn't even better value (sometimes worse!). They are so close in size that you couldn't tell unless the boxes are next to each other. My grocery store puts a convenient price per volume/weight/serving next to the price, but sometimes the measurement used is different between the different sized boxes and I have to mentally figure out if 14c/oz is better than $2.20/pound.

Guess who did the weekly shopping for the first time in weeks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.