Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

OMG we've become so Americanized

OMG we've become so Americanized

Old Jul 20th 2010, 4:19 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OMG we've become so Americanized

Originally Posted by GeoffM
With additional toppings?
Yes, I was thinking the same thing. I used to date a waitress whose list of additional toppings involved the local cat ...
Old Jul 20th 2010, 5:03 am
Forum Regular

bostonbound will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ukintexas
Am back for a trip in the UK and must have been indoctrinated into the plastic, bouffant TV presenters of the US as everyone I'm watching on UK TV looks really scruffy! I've figured out it's down to their hair - it's obviously just not as primped and cardboard as the US presenters I now watch so it appears messy to me. Ben Shepherd on GMTV looks like he's just stepped out the shower!!!!.
I agree! We just got back from a trip home and I found all the presenters talked really slowly and I would want them to hurry up. Same with advertisements, so slow and dull! I am obviously getting far too used to my new technicolor American life
Old Jul 20th 2010, 5:32 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bostonbound
I agree! We just got back from a trip home and I found all the presenters talked really slowly and I would want them to hurry up. Same with advertisements, so slow and dull! I am obviously getting far too used to my new technicolor American life
We always say the same. The news here (especially in this area where everyone wants everything yesterday) is mainly quick snippets...in the UK they seem to drone on and on for ages in a monotone voice..

Edit: On the other hand the newsreaders here seem to make their own words up as they go along...lightedness, winningness and some of their clothes look like leftovers from the 70's.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jul 20th 2010 at 7:13 am.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 6:14 am
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Am back for a trip in the UK and must have been indoctrinated into the plastic, bouffant TV presenters of the US as everyone I'm watching on UK TV looks really scruffy! I've figured out it's down to their hair - it's obviously just not as primped and cardboard as the US presenters I now watch so it appears messy to me. Ben Shepherd on GMTV looks like he's just stepped out the shower!!!!

The other thing we've found really funny is our impatience in restaurants. We're so used to the quick service in the US - which we used to moan about when we first went there as more often than not they ask you if you want desert whilst you're still eating your main course, and they give you the check before you've finished etc - and now we're doing the reverse!!

Ho hum - inevitable changing viewpoints I guess.
Get back soon before you start pronouncing your t's again
Old Jul 20th 2010, 6:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Am back for a trip in the UK and must have been indoctrinated into the plastic, bouffant TV presenters of the US as everyone I'm watching on UK TV looks really scruffy! I've figured out it's down to their hair - it's obviously just not as primped and cardboard as the US presenters I now watch so it appears messy to me.
On the flip side I don't like the ghetto speaking presenters they have here, OK so I am streching it but in the UK presenters/news readers talk clear and with proper words not slang or abbreviated words like they use here.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
On the flip side I don't like the ghetto speaking presenters they have here, OK so I am streching it but in the UK presenters/news readers talk clear and with proper words not slang or abbreviated words like they use here.
I try and read the news rather than watch it, some of our local presenters are morons that can hardly string a complete sentence together. A few weeks ago they had one presenter reporting live from a local school district meeting, he said 'they were discussing the budget and other stuff'. Not too vague then
Old Jul 20th 2010, 7:24 am
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

I used to be a massive Coronation Street fan and really missed it when I moved over here. So when we went back at Christmas I was really excited to watch an episode or two and see what's been happening.

God... it was TERRIBLE! Bad acting, poor writing, dodgy sets... I was heartbroken! Very few actors had changed, which was weird for a soap, but the storylines were just as over-the-top.

Still better than American soap operas though.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gingerert
I don't watch US soaps but it seems every time I see them when I am flicking through the channels someone is having an affair with someone else and they are in bed together.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still amazed by opening hours when I go back... "what do you mean I can't buy milk at 8PM on a Sunday?"

When I was last back I saw a big sign outside ASDA which said "Open 24 Hours" and then a little sign underneath saying "Mon-Sat."

On Sunday, they close at 4.

So, always open then... unless they're shut
Old Jul 20th 2010, 7:44 am
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobbes79
I'm still amazed by opening hours when I go back... "what do you mean I can't buy milk at 8PM on a Sunday?"

When I was last back I saw a big sign outside ASDA which said "Open 24 Hours" and then a little sign underneath saying "Mon-Sat."

Isn't there some kind of mad law about that? I don't think the UK currently allows 24/7 opening hours. I remember thinking the same thing about the oh-so-huge Tesco near me some years ago. (Seems very, very tiny now!)
Old Jul 20th 2010, 7:49 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I used to be a massive Coronation Street fan and really missed it when I moved over here. So when we went back at Christmas I was really excited to watch an episode or two and see what's been happening.

God... it was TERRIBLE! Bad acting, poor writing, dodgy sets... I was heartbroken! Very few actors had changed, which was weird for a soap, but the storylines were just as over-the-top.

Like all long running programs...it has it's ups and downs. Corrie is still ace IMO.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 7:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by hobbes79

Store opening hours in the UK is annoying...I think it's worse now than when I lived there 14 yrs ago. Sunday shopping is a nightmare in supermarkets...there's hardly any fresh food/produce/bread left from Saturday and yes most close around 4 a bloody clock.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Store opening hours in the UK is annoying...I think it's worse now than when I lived there 14 yrs ago. Sunday shopping is a nightmare in supermarkets...there's hardly any fresh food/produce/bread left from Saturday and yes most close around 4 a bloody clock.
I think it's something to do with old common law and the bible, so all the God fearing Christians have their day of rest or something, load of rubbish, let them rest but open the shop please!
Old Jul 20th 2010, 8:17 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
there are perfectly good pubs open.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't there some kind of mad law about that? I don't think the UK currently allows 24/7 opening hours. I remember thinking the same thing about the oh-so-huge Tesco near me some years ago. (Seems very, very tiny now!)
Retail units over a certain square footage are limited to 6 hours on a Sunday (some are 11-5, most 10-4 it seems), which is why Tesco Express etc can open later because they're small enough.

It is annoying, especially when Asda-Walmart Supercentre is the closest shop to me...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.