Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

OMG we've become so Americanized

OMG we've become so Americanized

Old Jul 20th 2010, 6:51 am
Searching for contentment

ukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond repute
Default OMG we've become so Americanized

Am back for a trip in the UK and must have been indoctrinated into the plastic, bouffant TV presenters of the US as everyone I'm watching on UK TV looks really scruffy! I've figured out it's down to their hair - it's obviously just not as primped and cardboard as the US presenters I now watch so it appears messy to me. Ben Shepherd on GMTV looks like he's just stepped out the shower!!!!

The other thing we've found really funny is our impatience in restaurants. We're so used to the quick service in the US - which we used to moan about when we first went there as more often than not they ask you if you want desert whilst you're still eating your main course, and they give you the check before you've finished etc - and now we're doing the reverse!!

Ho hum - inevitable changing viewpoints I guess.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OMG we've become so Americanized

Originally Posted by ukintexas
Am back for a trip in the UK and must have been indoctrinated into the plastic, bouffant TV presenters of the US as everyone I'm watching on UK TV looks really scruffy! I've figured out it's down to their hair - it's obviously just not as primped and cardboard as the US presenters I now watch so it appears messy to me. Ben Shepherd on GMTV looks like he's just stepped out the shower!!!!

The other thing we've found really funny is our impatience in restaurants. We're so used to the quick service in the US - which we used to moan about when we first went there as more often than not they ask you if you want desert whilst you're still eating your main course, and they give you the check before you've finished etc - and now we're doing the reverse!!

Tut!

You'll be driving on the right-side of the road next!

Jim.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

and they give you the check before you've finished etc
I always assumed the delay in the UK was the hope that you'd order more drinks... but OTOH more than once I've threatened to leave without paying if they didn't finish handling the bill/check right away because I was so fed up waiting! Funny how the service speeds up suddenly when you have your coat on and most of the party are gone or going.

I also assumed that getting the bill/check very quickly meant they wanted you to leave pronto so they could get more punters in.

Maybe I'm just cynical.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 9:31 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
I always assumed the delay in the UK was the hope that you'd order more drinks... but OTOH more than once I've threatened to leave without paying if they didn't finish handling the bill/check right away because I was so fed up waiting! Funny how the service speeds up suddenly when you have your coat on and most of the party are gone or going.

I also assumed that getting the bill/check very quickly meant they wanted you to leave pronto so they could get more punters in.

Maybe I'm just cynical.
Maybe you are!

I love the way you're treated in many European restaurants where they assume that you'll be camping out for the entire evening, as many people actually do. The UK seems to be - as it is in so many other ways - a kind of half-way house between the EU and US style of doing things. After 5 years I still can't get used to the fact that Mrs tonrob and I can go out for a restaurant meal and be sat back on the sofa an hour later...
Old Jul 20th 2010, 1:53 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Maybe you are!

I love the way you're treated in many European restaurants where they assume that you'll be camping out for the entire evening, as many people actually do. The UK seems to be - as it is in so many other ways - a kind of half-way house between the EU and US style of doing things. After 5 years I still can't get used to the fact that Mrs tonrob and I can go out for a restaurant meal and be sat back on the sofa an hour later...
ding ding ding.

my thoughts exactly.

if a restaurant brings me my entree while I'm still only halfway through the appetizer I tell them to bring it back when I am ready for it.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 2:11 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM

Maybe I'm just cynical.
My sister (who's waited tables for years) said that it's mainly because they don't want to get yelled at by people who are in a hurry. More people will be in a hurry than those that wish to take their time so they go with the law of averages.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 2:13 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
ding ding ding.

my thoughts exactly.

if a restaurant brings me my entree while I'm still only halfway through the appetizer I tell them to bring it back when I am ready for it.
Better to not even order the entree until you have your appetizer ... otherwise your meal will just sit under a heat lamp for 20-30 mins.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 2:18 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

That's happened to me a couple of times. I'll stipulate that I want a fresh one making too rather than have the original sit around.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

With additional toppings?
Old Jul 20th 2010, 2:33 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by tonrob
That's happened to me a couple of times. I'll stipulate that I want a fresh one making too rather than have the original sit around.
Right. And if I tell you it's Christmas Eve are you going to hang up your stocking?
Old Jul 20th 2010, 2:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Better to not even order the entree until you have your appetizer ... otherwise your meal will just sit under a heat lamp for 20-30 mins.
good idea...never thought of that!
Old Jul 20th 2010, 2:48 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by Englishtart
good idea...never thought of that!
Maybe the English think it's impolite to tell the server how they want things paced as far as their meal goes? I go out with a friend a lot and (depending on our mood) we'll let the server know how it's going to go down and I believe they appreciate it.

"We're going to have few drinks before we order."

or

"We'll have an appetizer while we're deciding what we want."

or

"Do you mind clearing these plates? But we're not ready for the check yet."

Last edited by Leslie; Jul 20th 2010 at 3:24 pm.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 2:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

I'm starting to worry just a bit too.

I'm beginning to think that all the dark furniture actually looks OK after all, my husband now thinks trucks are "quite nice and a good idea". I don't bat an eyelid at shingle roof tiles (which I used to think made the houses look like posh sheds) and finally, that sheets and comforters are a damn good combination.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

jimandtina2008 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ann m
I'm starting to worry just a bit too.

I'm beginning to think that all the dark furniture actually looks OK after all, my husband now thinks trucks are "quite nice and a good idea". I don't bat an eyelid at shingle roof tiles (which I used to think made the houses look like posh sheds) and finally, that sheets and comforters are a damn good combination.
hmmmm haven't got used to the sheets and comforter yet - even though it's summer and bloody hot, Im iss my duvet sooooo much lol
Old Jul 20th 2010, 4:08 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

I was doing the same thing as well when I got back, especially about the scruffy peeps on TV...perfect example..Top gear..they hang around in their jeans and scruffy tops..(which doesn't bother me in the slightest) it just seemed surreal...but the one thing that really stood out is the messy hair and natural teeth colours....after being blinded by the american pearly whites for soo long it was weird to see crooked natural teeth..

The one thing I found whilst eating in the US..is exactly like you say rush rush rush...until you ask for the check...then they'll leave you sat there for what feel like ages until you have to remind them again...(I'm sure they're hoping that you'll just throw the money down on the table and leave without expecting any change)..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.