Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

OMG we've become so Americanized

Wikiposts

OMG we've become so Americanized

Old Jul 21st 2010, 3:16 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OMG we've become so Americanized

Originally Posted by Englishtart
You could be right about 'us' (Brits) feeling a bit impolite if we complain about the speed of service. I think your way is pretty cool and I will definintely be trying it next time we are out!
I won't eat with people that mistreat servers. However, they're not authority figures either. It's a give and take but they're not mind readers. People are all over the place with what they want. The American consumer is like a hungry, greedy, mean, irrational infant that wants everything but is never happy with what they get. Relating what you want to the wait staff in polite terms should make everybody happy. If a server gave me attitude for this I would definitely complain - or walk out - or both.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 3:26 am
Just Joined

petersmall will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Leslie66
I won't eat with people that mistreat servers. However, they're not authority figures either. It's a give and take but they're not mind readers. People are all over the place with what they want. The American consumer is like a hungry, greedy, mean, irrational infant that wants everything but is never happy with what they get. Relating what you want to the wait staff in polite terms should make everybody happy. If a server gave me attitude for this I would definitely complain - or walk out - or both.
Servers are awesome, I have no end of fun with them, my personal favourite is letting them list their specials etc that they are obliged to do and then tell them (in my best British accent) that I didn't understand a word!!

Once they realise I am having fun with them it makes the whole experience much more enjoyable as here in Virginia they give it back as good as they take it.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 3:54 am
Forum Regular

bostonbound will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by britvic
Oh yeah it's just great to have your whole viewing of a film or program totaly f**ked up because of the relentless advertisements you either put up with it or rush out and get a DVR
I actually see the adverts as part of the entertainment! Particularly the medical ones that list the side effects really fast afterwards! Oh, so my headache will be gone but I could have a heart attack instead?
Old Jul 21st 2010, 4:02 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yeah it's just great to have your whole viewing of a film or program totaly f**ked up because of the relentless advertisements you either put up with it or rush out and get a DVR
There's another option...
Old Jul 21st 2010, 4:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bostonbound
I actually see the adverts as part of the entertainment! Particularly the medical ones that list the side effects really fast afterwards! Oh, so my headache will be gone but I could have a heart attack instead?
Enjoy then it soon get's old though.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 4:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
There's another option...
Dont have a bloody telly in the first place right my friend
Old Jul 21st 2010, 4:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
I have worked in restaurants, in the UK and here, I know how it feels to be on the other end of nasty people/customers. I always try and put myself in the servers place, but I usually end up being way too soft, hubby is a softy too, but we are learning to be a little more 'direct' and we are getting more 'picky' about what we will take customer service wise.

Hubby says he would much prefer it if servers got a decent wage instead of having to rely on tips, though he would still tip on top for good service, much like you do with taxis or hairdressers etc. He doesn't think that we should be obligated to tip servers just because they get crap wages. I have never felt 'obligated' to tip a crap server!
Old Jul 21st 2010, 5:13 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
I have worked in restaurants, in the UK and here, I know how it feels to be on the other end of nasty people/customers. I always try and put myself in the servers place, but I usually end up being way too soft, hubby is a softy too, but we are learning to be a little more 'direct' and we are getting more 'picky' about what we will take customer service wise.

Hubby says he would much prefer it if servers got a decent wage instead of having to rely on tips, though he would still tip on top for good service, much like you do with taxis or hairdressers etc. He doesn't think that we should be obligated to tip servers just because they get crap wages. I have never felt 'obligated' to tip a crap server!
I'm very soft too. I don't get my kicks talking down to people who are working on their feet for hours on end. It's all relative too though. Eating at Chili's or Cracker Barrel isn't much more expensive than driving through McDonalds (where they just throw the food at you) so you can't expect the same service as you would from a decent chop house. Even if you tip 20% at Chili's it's still only $4 or $5 bucks - no matter how great the service was.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 5:41 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna

PS: go find Kyron, please!
I'm very disappointed I haven't been interviewed yet by a local news station for my "expert" opinion. They have interviewed just about everyone else who knows nothing about what is going on including Koin6 last night who interviewed the guy wrongly accused on the Madrid Spain bombing as Kelly Day called it.

If I could help MCSD can have it for nothing.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 6:07 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
I'm very disappointed I haven't been interviewed yet by a local news station for my "expert" opinion. They have interviewed just about everyone else who knows nothing about what is going on including Koin6 last night who interviewed the guy wrongly accused on the Madrid Spain bombing as Kelly Day called it.

If I could help MCSD can have it for nothing.
You need to be out there punting yourself like CW Jensen...

I know you'd pitch in for free; a friend and I went out snooping last week, but with the crazies involved, it's like a needle in a haystack.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 7:23 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by petersmall
Once they realise I am having fun with them they piss in my soup and gob in my mashed potatoes.
Fixed it for ya!
Old Jul 21st 2010, 10:56 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Fixed it for ya!
I think you'll find that they come in the mashed potatoes. Isn't that right? Let me go and check Fight Club again...
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
preferred the Axe and Clever in Dunham Massey myself.

and The Griffin / Stamford Arms in Bowden
...and now I'm feeling homesick.
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 12:37 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Dont have a bloody telly in the first place right my friend
I tried that.

Signed father of four
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

MadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gingerert
Isn't there some kind of mad law about that? I don't think the UK currently allows 24/7 opening hours. I remember thinking the same thing about the oh-so-huge Tesco near me some years ago. (Seems very, very tiny now!)

It's funny, I think the opening hours of most shops here in Colorado is better than the UK, but the supermarkets are worse! There are a couple which are 24 hours, but not all. In Scotland, they were virtually all 24 hour (but I know the rules were different in Scotland to south of the border).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.