New adventures

Old Jun 8th 2022, 10:54 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: New adventures

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Your house probably will sell quickly. Houses don't tend to stay on the market for long at the moment, at least not round here anyway.

NC does sound and look nice from what I know. It gets a high score right out of the gate for the comparative lack of snow.

First:
Sultan - where are you and I hope you are doing OK.
Old Jun 8th 2022, 10:57 pm
`

Originally Posted by Jolly Good
Stuck in a hotel room now! The not feeling good last night turned into a positive covid test for me and daughter
Unbelievable! For over 2 years we have been safe and we still are very cautious where we go and who we go near. Now this!!

So now they are doing their closing via zoom with papers being delivered to hotel. We are not sure what to do really. We either stay isolated in this one room and when her furniture is delivered we go to her new house or we leave really early tomorrow and drive the 18 hours back to Texas straight through. That's providing M doesn't get sick as well. So far he and son in law have no symptoms and tested negative. Hopefully grandkids stay ok as well.

I have a sore throat that feels like fire, sound croaky, runny nose, headache and painful cough. Fever is under control with Tylenol. Daughter is exactly the same.

Oh my goodness. That is beyond rotten stinky luck. Poo!

I'm with the others I think. Best stay where you are and no making monster long road trips like that.
Supposed to be rest up and stay hydrated isn't it so as not to prolong probs. Mind you nothing like your own bed too.

Bah!

Old Jun 9th 2022, 2:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Jolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
Oh good grief, this is the absolute pits. I would hang on where you are for a few days if possible before attempting the long drive "home".
You are probably right. Not wanting to go anywhere today

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Oh fork, what a thing to happen Really sorry to hear this.

As frustrating as it must be to be holed up in the hotel, I also think that you're better staying there than risking that horrendous drive back to Texas. M might test positive, or heaven forbid, you might get worse. You don't want any of that happening on a long drive.

Are you at least able to get out of your hotel room now and then for some fresh air? As bad as you feel, I really hope this is the worst you get and that everyone else is ok.
We are now 4 out of 4 adults positive. The only healthy ones are the grandkids.

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Another vote for staying put. Do you really want to be cooped up in a car for so many hours while feeling miserable? Hope you soon feel better and that no one else becomes ill.
At least I can rest in the hotel. I just hate it is all happening

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Are you able to isolate from the healthy ones - two rooms or more? Otherwise, being in such a confined space doesn't sound good for them.

Is the hotel the type with inside corridor access, or does your door open directly to the outside (classic 'motel' style)? I've been doing only very limited travel by car since covid started, and I've been preferring to stay in 'motel' style rooms so that I don't have to encounter others in the enclosed hallways. However, the 'nicer' hotels tend to be the ones with inside corridors.

For your 'papers' - do they have to be notarized? In my case, I had the title company visit my home instead of me going to them, but - it was still an in-person visit as they want to witness the 'wet ink' signature and then do a formal notarization. If you have covid, you can't really have someone coming into your room for notarization. Perhaps an outdoor table would be acceptable?

I'm itching to travel more myself but it is exactly this scenario that keeps putting me off - what do you do if you are in some remote location and suddenly find yourself positive.

If you are an 'at risk' person, consider getting some 'paxlovid' for yourself if you can. https://www.yalemedicine.org/news/13...lovid-covid-19 - "Paxlovid is an oral antiviral pill that can be taken at home to help keep high-risk patients from getting so sick that they need to be hospitalized. So, if you test positive for the coronavirus and a health care provider writes you a prescription, you can take pills at home and lower your risk of going to the hospital". Good luck!
See above. All four adults are now sick. And we can't isolate the kids, they are too young to be in a room on their own.

The closing was done with minimal contact, lots of masking and pretty quickly.

And yes this is the reason we haven't traveled either over the last 2 years because we didn't want to get sick while we were away, and I really thought we had been so careful so I'm just not sure why this hit us.

I left a message with our doctor to see if we could have some kind of medicine called in to a pharmacy. Hopefully tomorrow we can get something

Originally Posted by BEVS
Oh my goodness. That is beyond rotten stinky luck. Poo!

I'm with the others I think. Best stay where you are and no making monster long road trips like that.
Supposed to be rest up and stay hydrated isn't it so as not to prolong probs. Mind you nothing like your own bed too.

Bah!
It is pooh, BEVS. It really is.

Maybe I'm not meant to leave my Texas compound...ever!
Old Jun 10th 2022, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Jolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond repute

First of all I need to say how glad I am to be vaccinated and boostered because I imagine unvaccinated covid patients really do suffer!! I think the worst days of feeling yuck are over. Today is just an annoying cough and snotty nose. Daughter and son in law are much the same and M is doing better than us all with minimal symptoms. Grandkids have no symptoms at all still

We spent the day at their new home today just to stay out the hotel room. Having lived in flat Texas for 33 years it is a novelty to see so many homes on hills. The unfortunate thing today is they found out their furniture has not left Houston yet so it will be at least another 48 hours before they get it. Tonight was supposed to be our last night in the hotel so now starting tomorrow they will camp out and make do at their house and we will head back tomorrow ( Friday) to Texas to finish up business before returning to Pittsburgh.

It wasn't our best introduction to life in a northern state with the bad storms we drove through and then catching covid but I like the look of the place and being outside today with 70°f temps and no humidity made me feel comfortable and it was so much easier to breathe. So we are coming back and will start look for a home. I guess the new adventure is finally beginning!

Last edited by Jolly Good; Jun 10th 2022 at 2:01 am.
Old Jun 10th 2022, 3:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

First of all I need to say how glad I am to be vaccinated and boostered because I imagine unvaccinated covid patients really do suffer!! I think the worst days of feeling yuck are over. Today is just an annoying cough and snotty nose. Daughter and son in law are much the same and M is doing better than us all with minimal symptoms. Grandkids have no symptoms at all still

We spent the day at their new home today just to stay out the hotel room. Having lived in flat Texas for 33 years it is a novelty to see so many homes on hills. The unfortunate thing today is they found out their furniture has not left Houston yet so it will be at least another 48 hours before they get it. Tonight was supposed to be our last night in the hotel so now starting tomorrow they will camp out and make do at their house and we will head back tomorrow ( Friday) to Texas to finish up business before returning to Pittsburgh.

It wasn't our best introduction to life in a northern state with the bad storms we drove through and then catching covid but I like the look of the place and being outside today with 70°f temps and no humidity made me feel comfortable and it was so much easier to breathe. So we are coming back and will start look for a home. I guess the new adventure is finally beginning!
Wow, what an ordeal! And you have to turn around and do it again! And then, again! I don't know where exactly you are in Texas or PA, but a quick google suggests it's over 1,400 miles ... that's a LONG way to drive ... and drive back! Especially with Covid!!!! When I sold my AZ place in March, I drove between CA and AZ 4 times in a few weeks, but that's only (!) 700 miles each way. I can't imagine doing 1,400 miles 4 times in quick succession; and I imagine the freeways in the North East are not as free flowing as the ones in the west! Mucho respect to you!

I remember riding a Grayhound bus from San Francisco to New York, non-stop, back in the early 80s (couldn't afford hotels). I remember when the bus finally entered PA, it was beautiful, compared to the flat nothingness that preceded it. I've always had a soft-spot for PA since then! I've heard several people say it's a nice place to be; the city has seen something of a revival, after the loss of all the steel jobs.
Old Jun 10th 2022, 2:18 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to read that you are improving, I had a brush with C-19 last month and like you symptoms not too bad (though I did have 48 hours of everything tasking like cardboard or shredded wheat) so very glad I was vaccinated. PA does get some summer humidity, but nothing like Houston and I am on a job in Tampa at the moment and it feels like a sauna every time I walk outside. The hills in PA are very pleasing and in places you will find some older buildings that are built from what looks like Cheshire red sandstone - I think it is geologically related. Hope to meet up with you at some point too

Old Jun 11th 2022, 12:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lizzyq
Glad to read that you are improving, I had a brush with C-19 last month and like you symptoms not too bad (though I did have 48 hours of everything tasking like cardboard or shredded wheat) so very glad I was vaccinated. PA does get some summer humidity, but nothing like Houston and I am on a job in Tampa at the moment and it feels like a sauna every time I walk outside. The hills in PA are very pleasing and in places you will find some older buildings that are built from what looks like Cheshire red sandstone - I think it is geologically related. Hope to meet up with you at some point too

Definitely for the meet up

Old Jun 11th 2022, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Wow, what an ordeal! And you have to turn around and do it again! And then, again! I don't know where exactly you are in Texas or PA, but a quick google suggests it's over 1,400 miles ... that's a LONG way to drive ... and drive back! Especially with Covid!!!! When I sold my AZ place in March, I drove between CA and AZ 4 times in a few weeks, but that's only (!) 700 miles each way. I can't imagine doing 1,400 miles 4 times in quick succession; and I imagine the freeways in the North East are not as free flowing as the ones in the west! Mucho respect to you!

I remember riding a Grayhound bus from San Francisco to New York, non-stop, back in the early 80s (couldn't afford hotels). I remember when the bus finally entered PA, it was beautiful, compared to the flat nothingness that preceded it. I've always had a soft-spot for PA since then! I've heard several people say it's a nice place to be; the city has seen something of a revival, after the loss of all the steel jobs.
I'm not sure what I was expecting Pittsburgh to be like really. But I was surprised in a good way.

We left at 9am this morning and had hoped to make it to Nashville tonight but I guess the effects of Covid were getting to us. We both felt pretty drained so we are in Elizabethtown KY for the night and hopefully we will leave earlier tomorrow and feel more rested. It is strange being on a trip but also isolating ourselves as much as we can. Thank goodness for no contact food delivery!!

It was tough leaving the grandkids this morning. Our 6 year old wanted to come to our house and go to the beach I guess it is still confusing for them. But I'm sure they will settle soon.

Old Jun 11th 2022, 1:21 am
`

I'm not sure what I was expecting Pittsburgh to be like really. But I was surprised in a good way.

That's good.
Take care on the journey back.
Old Jun 11th 2022, 2:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BEVS
That's good.
Take care on the journey back.

It is stressful but I've always enjoyed roadtrips. Some of our best conversations and silly moments have been on long journeys somewhere together! Pathetic old soppy fools that we are
Old Jun 11th 2022, 4:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

We left at 9am this morning and had hoped to make it to Nashville tonight but I guess the effects of Covid were getting to us. We both felt pretty drained so we are in Elizabethtown KY for the night and hopefully we will leave earlier tomorrow and feel more rested. It is strange being on a trip but also isolating ourselves as much as we can. Thank goodness for no contact food delivery!!
How are you handling hotels, in regards to Covid? You are not just positive, but actually symptomatic, so do you tell the hotel about this, or just keep it quiet? I'm thinking of situations like when you check out ... won't the cleaning staff be coming into your room as soon as you check out, and therefore get exposed?. It's not knowing how to handle this potential situation that keeps me from traveling more.
Old Jun 11th 2022, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

How are you handling hotels, in regards to Covid? You are not just positive, but actually symptomatic, so do you tell the hotel about this, or just keep it quiet? I'm thinking of situations like when you check out ... won't the cleaning staff be coming into your room as soon as you check out, and therefore get exposed?. It's not knowing how to handle this potential situation that keeps me from traveling more.
I have been totally honest. And all I have been asked so far is were we vaccinated, could we stay masked and could we confine ourselves to our room. And no maid service .We have had contactless food delivered to the rooms and before we left Pittsburgh we had a grocery delivery of snacks and drinks for the journey.

It makes me feel guilty being out and about with covid but having sheltered for over 2 years and had been so careful im still really upset this happened!

I guess it is real life now.

Old Jun 12th 2022, 2:36 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I have been totally honest. And all I have been asked so far is were we vaccinated, could we stay masked and could we confine ourselves to our room. And no maid service .We have had contactless food delivered to the rooms and before we left Pittsburgh we had a grocery delivery of snacks and drinks for the journey.

It makes me feel guilty being out and about with covid but having sheltered for over 2 years and had been so careful im still really upset this happened!

I guess it is real life now.
Just catching up with all your news - really glad to hear you're feeling better! Liking the look of Pittsburgh has been a silver lining in what's otherwise been a pretty miserable trip for you. And yes mate, it's just life - hopefully feeling upset will bugger off soon and you can start looking forward again! Just think, all that time you'll have with the grandkids
Old Jun 12th 2022, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Just catching up with all your news - really glad to hear you're feeling better! Liking the look of Pittsburgh has been a silver lining in what's otherwise been a pretty miserable trip for you. And yes mate, it's just life - hopefully feeling upset will bugger off soon and you can start looking forward again! Just think, all that time you'll have with the grandkids
Thanks

So we left Elizabethtown KY at 8am yesterday ( Saturday) morning and drove the 953 miles straight through to home arriving at 12.30am this morning (Sunday). Not the smartest thing to do but saved us explaining our situation in another hotel. It should have taken us about 14 and a half hours but because of crazy drivers we got held up twice in Arkansas for two big wrecks adding another couple of hours on to the journey. It was really nice to sleep in our own bed though...and we are a bit shattered but we have time to rest today

Our final return journey in 2 weeks will be different. We are going a more scenic route I think. Try to keep off the big highways and away from all the 18 wheelers.

We now need to get over Covid, although all we have now are nasty coughs. I sound like a dog with Kennel Cough ( Kramer/ Seinfeld episode comes to mind!) And we have to finish packing and selling or giving away stuff we no longer need. Hopefully the next 2 weeks will fly by

And then bye bye Texas
Old Jun 12th 2022, 5:32 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

So we left Elizabethtown KY at 8am yesterday ( Saturday) morning and drove the 953 miles straight through to home arriving at 12.30am this morning (Sunday). Not the smartest thing to do but saved us explaining our situation in another hotel. It should have taken us about 14 and a half hours but because of crazy drivers we got held up twice in Arkansas for two big wrecks adding another couple of hours on to the journey. It was really nice to sleep in our own bed though...and we are a bit shattered but we have time to rest today

Our final return journey in 2 weeks will be different. We are going a more scenic route I think. Try to keep off the big highways and away from all the 18 wheelers.

We now need to get over Covid, although all we have now are nasty coughs. I sound like a dog with Kennel Cough ( Kramer/ Seinfeld episode comes to mind!) And we have to finish packing and selling or giving away stuff we no longer need. Hopefully the next 2 weeks will fly by

And then bye bye Texas
Very pleased to read that you're back safe, and getting ready for the next chapter

Thinking back to our last move, the last couple of weeks should indeed fly by

So ... furniture into storage, amble up to Pennsylvania and then start with the house-hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.