New adventures

Old Aug 13th 2022, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New adventures

Originally Posted by ddsrph
How high was it? Usually expressed in pico curies per liter. 4 is considered max allowable level. One house in Pennsylvania had a 2600 level. Will they be installing a pump system that will be a permanent installation running 24/7?

During the 48 hour test it hit 7.8 for awhile but mostly 4 and under for the remainder of the test. I believe it will be a permanent running installation.

Do you also have a dehumidifier in your basement?
Old Aug 13th 2022, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jolly Good
During the 48 hour test it hit 7.8 for awhile but mostly 4 and under for the remainder of the test. I believe it will be a permanent running installation.

Do you also have a dehumidifier in your basement?
My house is really a walkout basement with a roof. It’s cut into a slope. My insulation and water proofing is very good so my heat pump keeps it mold proof without any hint of excess moisture. I checked my radon levels when I first moved in and was around 4 but I had installed pipes under slab in anticipation of installing pump so went ahead and installed. I haven’t since checked levels but need to do so. Here is a side view of the end most underground. Your levels are not that high but the lower the better. Being near lake it was debatable about dehumidifier being needed but it turned out I didn’t need one.

Last edited by ddsrph; Aug 13th 2022 at 8:26 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2022, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond repute

Today's highlight.
A morning trip to our local Lowes to buy some shrubs and we were met with staff members chasing a guy through the back of the parking lot. He had stolen some DeWalt power tools. They lost him as he disappeared into the wooded area behind the store.

What's really crazy is the average age of most of the Lowes workers at this store is probable 70 years old!! And apparently the blatant running out of the garden center with stolen goods is a common occurrence according to the poor ladies that had tried to stop him

Anyway shrubs planted and we are now having a nice rain shower to water them. A good days work!
Old Aug 17th 2022, 10:49 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Today's highlight.
A morning trip to our local Lowes to buy some shrubs and we were met with staff members chasing a guy through the back of the parking lot. He had stolen some DeWalt power tools. They lost him as he disappeared into the wooded area behind the store.

What's really crazy is the average age of most of the Lowes workers at this store is probable 70 years old!! And apparently the blatant running out of the garden center with stolen goods is a common occurrence according to the poor ladies that had tried to stop him

Anyway shrubs planted and we are now having a nice rain shower to water them. A good days work!
At least, unlike in Florida, in Pennsylvania such miscreants tend to be fully clothed, but also no alligators hiding in the wilderness to eat them either.
Old Aug 21st 2022, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yesterday we met with a contractor to extend our kitchen. He probably won't be able to start for a few weeks but we are drawing up the plan and selecting the cabinets and counter tops this week. He also is going to cut back the crazy over grown back yard for us. Our neighbor invited us over so we could view our property line better from their side. We now have an idea of the challenge ahead...it might be next year before we really work on it but it will be good to at least have some of it cut back in the next few weeks!

We have also visited a few state parks and found some good hiking paths. I know now why this area is called Penn Hills!! It is so different than our old flat area in Texas My legs have been aching from the hill walks.
Old Aug 24th 2022, 11:30 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Yesterday we met with a contractor to extend our kitchen. He probably won't be able to start for a few weeks but we are drawing up the plan and selecting the cabinets and counter tops this week. He also is going to cut back the crazy over grown back yard for us. Our neighbor invited us over so we could view our property line better from their side. We now have an idea of the challenge ahead...it might be next year before we really work on it but it will be good to at least have some of it cut back in the next few weeks!

We have also visited a few state parks and found some good hiking paths. I know now why this area is called Penn Hills!! It is so different than our old flat area in Texas My legs have been aching from the hill walks.

Also, in terms of your back yard, where you are now winter will actually kill things (although not as bad as Chicago) so you will be able to see the lay of the land better.

Old Aug 24th 2022, 11:32 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

My house is really a walkout basement with a roof. It’s cut into a slope. My insulation and water proofing is very good so my heat pump keeps it mold proof without any hint of excess moisture. I checked my radon levels when I first moved in and was around 4 but I had installed pipes under slab in anticipation of installing pump so went ahead and installed. I haven’t since checked levels but need to do so. Here is a side view of the end most underground. Your levels are not that high but the lower the better. Being near lake it was debatable about dehumidifier being needed but it turned out I didn’t need one.

What is your interesting bit of modern art/sculpture next to the carport?
Old Aug 24th 2022, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
What is your interesting bit of modern art/sculpture next to the carport?
That’s my under construction covered pavilion. It’s my first attempt at block, brick and stone work. Here’s a better photo of it. I am waiting on roof trusses to build roof. I will do the rest of the brick and stone after roof and vinyl trim is done.

Old Aug 24th 2022, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

You can rent a self propelled brush mower at the local tool rental place that can quickly cut most of the growth. Our rental company charges for one day if picked up late Friday and returns Monday morning. They will cut brush up to about 1 inch diameter. If it can push them over it will cut it.
Old Aug 24th 2022, 2:18 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

We have spent 3 days this week tidying up our front yard and attempting the back as well. The previous owner fenced off the back garden and only took care of a small area. We have been cutting back the shrubs and trees that have grown through the fencing and we finally found a gate through to the rest of our garden. We have 200 feet of jungle! And a steep drop down as well. I'm sure our neighbors will be pleased we are getting it sorted because it is an eyesore but it's going to take some time and effort. And unfortunately poor M managed to get into some poison ivy and now has a nasty rash on his arms but we'll get there. I guess we like to be challenged!
Take your time, and the land itself will tell you what to do. Our garden has been evolving for twenty-four years now. We fenced a large area for the dogs in a patch of woodland when we moved here (the fencing company had to fight through the undergrowth to get the stanchions in!), and cultivate within that area too, as otherwise the surrounding wildlife wipes out everything we try to do. Inside the fenced area, the layout evolved around the paths that the dogs created as they ran through the woodland; we worked around interesting boulders to feature them; trees fell in storms and opened up light to new areas; and we never said no when people offered us plants as they cut back their gardens. It's a living thing that keeps on changing!
Old Aug 24th 2022, 2:20 pm

That’s my under construction covered pavilion. It’s my first attempt at block, brick and stone work. Here’s a better photo of it. I am waiting on roof trusses to build roof. I will do the rest of the brick and stone after roof and vinyl trim is done.

Very impressive. I like the sacrificial altar built in at one end.
Old Aug 28th 2022, 12:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Also, in terms of your back yard, where you are now winter will actually kill things (although not as bad as Chicago) so you will be able to see the lay of the land better.
Yes, a little bit different than Texas!

You can rent a self propelled brush mower at the local tool rental place that can quickly cut most of the growth. Our rental company charges for one day if picked up late Friday and returns Monday morning. They will cut brush up to about 1 inch diameter. If it can push them over it will cut it.
We need to check that out. Thanks !

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Take your time, and the land itself will tell you what to do. Our garden has been evolving for twenty-four years now. We fenced a large area for the dogs in a patch of woodland when we moved here (the fencing company had to fight through the undergrowth to get the stanchions in!), and cultivate within that area too, as otherwise the surrounding wildlife wipes out everything we try to do. Inside the fenced area, the layout evolved around the paths that the dogs created as they ran through the woodland; we worked around interesting boulders to feature them; trees fell in storms and opened up light to new areas; and we never said no when people offered us plants as they cut back their gardens. It's a living thing that keeps on changing!
I know it will take time. It's such a shame it has got so wild. Our neighbors said the owner before the one we bought from used to keep it looking great. Then when the last guy bought it he just fenced it off and let it go wild. He didn't actually ever live in the house he rented it out and the renters didn't bother with it.
Old Aug 29th 2022, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

A brush mower similar to this can clean it up fast. They are self propelled and easy to use. I prefer to clean up my own land as I can leave trees that I want to keep.
Old Aug 31st 2022, 3:21 am
Forum Regular

cheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond repute

That looks awesome mate! worked in construction for a few years here and really miss it. Hope to see the final product!
Old Aug 31st 2022, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cheradenine
That looks awesome mate! worked in construction for a few years here and really miss it. Hope to see the final product!
Will definitely post some photos. I did it all myself except pour the slab floor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.