New adventures

Old Jul 3rd 2022, 7:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New adventures

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I'm sure she means 'estate' sale - and that's when someone dies and their house is sold as part of liquidating 'the estate'.

Regarding wildlife, etc ... my last purchase in Arizona met all my 'known' criteria, but I didn't think to check for snakes and scorpions! Turns out it was on the edge of an open space and rattlesnakes were a common feature, as were scorpions.
We lived in the edge of a small NJ town…what I would call a village…30 miles due west of NYC. I saw coyotes, bears, foxes, deer and lots of snakes etc etc on our property.

Good luck C…here’s to a wonderful retirement up north.
Old Jul 3rd 2022, 7:25 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure she means 'estate' sale - and that's when someone dies and their house is sold as part of liquidating 'the estate'.
Ah thanks...I should have thought of that
Old Jul 3rd 2022, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Very exciting -- congratulations! With houses, I always think it's a case of "you know it when you see it." Our current house (24 years and counting!) I knew was "the one" the second we drove down the driveway.
yep that was the feeling!

Originally Posted by BristolUK
What's that?

Beware the wildlife
Estate sale and nature reserve!! I get too excited sometimes and mistype

Regarding wildlife, etc ... my last purchase in Arizona met all my 'known' criteria, but I didn't think to check for snakes and scorpions! Turns out it was on the edge of an open space and rattlesnakes were a common feature, as were scorpions.
I hope most of the snakes and nasty bitey things are back in Texas!
Old Jul 3rd 2022, 10:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
We lived in the edge of a small NJ town…what I would call a village…30 miles due west of NYC. I saw coyotes, bears, foxes, deer and lots of snakes etc etc on our property.

Good luck C…here’s to a wonderful retirement up north.

Hmmm...I just realized I've never been a northerner before in my life
Old Jul 4th 2022, 9:26 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Where we live in central PA there is lots of nature, but I've never seen a snake. We regularly see chipmunks, squirrels and rabbits, occasionally deer, groundhogs and possums, in the spring black bears come into the neighbourhood to take advantage of bird feeders - once one drained my hummingbird feeder two nights in a row before I twigged to it. Lots of birds in our shady tree filled area too. I have smelled that the skunk has been around sometimes but never seen that either, not seen foxes or coyotes but they will be around somewhere I'm sure.
Old Jul 4th 2022, 9:36 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jolly Good
Hmmm...I just realized I've never been a northerner before in my life
You're from north of the river. Pretty much the same thing.
Old Jul 4th 2022, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
You're from north of the river. Pretty much the same thing.

Old Jul 7th 2022, 1:35 am
BE Forum Addict

On Friday we went around with a realtor to look at five houses we had selected to view. Before we met her she called and said two of them were now pending sale so I found another one that had just gone up for sale Thursday evening and she added it to the list. It was the second house we viewed and it was exactly what we wanted price , size and location wise. So we made an offer. The offer was accepted today. I guess we have bought a house Fingers crossed it all goes smoothly although it all depends on the inspection next week to make it a done deal. The house is empty and is part of an estimate sale. It needs some TLC but nothing major we hope
And it is not in a flood zone, there are no trains and definitely no trashy neighbors as it is at the end of a cul de sac that is by a nature preserve. It's been quite a week!

Sad day. The inspection was not good and we decided today to terminate our offer.

First of all the roof needed replacing but also there was damage to the structure of the roof due to on going water damage. It was sagging. The attic had water damage, there was termite damage. The a/c and the water heater did not work. There was a leak in the ensuite shower that had caused damage through the closet behind it and the basement had the start of structural damage. So basically it would be a money pit and a lot of work..and we are too old for that much work!
So back to the drawing board. We are off to view four more tomorrow and hopefully find something else we like

I have to say we were really impressed with the inspector. I have worked with home inspectors in Texas and i know their inspections and reports are no way as detailed and as thorough as the one we had. He explained everything in great detail and his report, 62 pages, was easy to read and understand.
Old Jul 7th 2022, 2:34 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry about the disappointment. The right house is out there somewhere, waiting for you to discover it!
Old Jul 7th 2022, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

The house in question is probably owned by some family members looking to get it sold quickly. If you like the location and the house in general a really really lowball offer might be accepted. An offer so low everything could be fixed without question plus come out ahead value wise. This would work especially well for those with DIY skills like yourself.
Old Jul 8th 2022, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Sorry about the disappointment. The right house is out there somewhere, waiting for you to discover it!
Thanks. It is, the search is on again!

Originally Posted by ddsrph
The house in question is probably owned by some family members looking to get it sold quickly. If you like the location and the house in general a really really lowball offer might be accepted. An offer so low everything could be fixed without question plus come out ahead value wise. This would work especially well for those with DIY skills like yourself.
It wasn't low ball enough and they weren't prepared to negotiate. We had planned to do a lot of the work ourselves but we also didn't want to be constantly pouring money into it and after talking with the inspector it seemed we would be!

Just need to keep looking
Old Jul 8th 2022, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

It wasn't low ball enough and they weren't prepared to negotiate. We had planned to do a lot of the work ourselves but we also didn't want to be constantly pouring money into it and after talking with the inspector it seemed we would be!

Hope that the right house comes along soon. Maybe see if the realtor has some that will be coming onto the market soon, so you get a heads up, and they know what you're looking for.
I just saw this house for real, on the day we moved in. After two house hunting trips, the realtor sent me the details, which I liked the look of, on the day I flew back, so DH had to do a quick viewing. Ours wasn't the highest offer, but the owners liked the reason we wanted to move there, and our realtor put in a good word with their realtor, and the rest is history.
Old Jul 8th 2022, 9:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I am very glad we didn’t rush into the first house we were interested in when we moved to NJ. We rented instead. I hated it, but stuck it out. 15 mths in I just happened to drive past a new construction…called the builder and hey ho we lived in that house for almost 18 years. Take your time, until the right one comes along. Buy/selling/moving in the US is too expensive to make a mistake. Plus there is a good chance prices will drop due to a recession.

But you know all this…

Good luck.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jul 8th 2022 at 9:22 pm.
Old Jul 8th 2022, 9:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ddsrph
Currently, building supplies of all sorts are in short supply (the infamous 'supply chain' issues), making many DIY projects a nightmare. I had some 'roller blinds' installed at my home. I placed the order in August 2021; they finally got all the parts in Feb 2022. I needed a new microwave installed in my kitchen; when I called the store to find out what they had in stock, they laughed, suggesting most of them were 'on a boat somewhere in the Pacific' - and when they do arrive, they are back-ordered 6 months. I saw this amusing article a few months ago - https://thehustle.co/03022022-garage-door-shortage/ - Garage doors in short supply. It's one thing to work on a 'fun project' in the garden, but when it's your main living room or bathroom or kitchen, or whatever, it can be a real pain having extended wait times.
Old Jul 8th 2022, 9:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
... Plus there is a good chance prices will drop due to a recession.

I'm sitting tight on the proceeds from my home sale in March. in May/June, places around me in CA were going for 200k over asking. Suddenly, I'm seeing 'Reduced $110,000' indicators on the website. I'm hoping for a housing recession, but not a general recession ... my retirement is all tied up in the stock market . Not that what I want / hope for will have any bearing whatsoever ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.