Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

moving to a new state

moving to a new state

Old Sep 2nd 2014, 3:47 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: moving to a new state

Originally Posted by janeth8711
Hi Everyone,

Ok so we move to Florida just over 2 years ago.
We choose Florida for family reasons but are now looking at moving to another state.
Our property tax has tripled in 2 years and we want to move somewhere less stressed, more scenic, and a different climate instead of hot and hotter!
Hubby works self employed so job is not a problem.
We have looked at a few states such as texas and colorado.
Anyone with any suggestions on where we can look would be appreciated

Janet
I'm in Pittsburgh. Very green and scenic if that's what you're after. Consistently in "top 10" lists for liveability, whatever that means. Cost of living is SUPER CHEAP - I know a few people who bought their houses for $50k. My 4BR + garage + basement house here cost less than my 1BR flat in Melbourne did. Lots of hospitals and universities here. Plenty of outdoorsy things to do. I like it a lot
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 4:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to a new state

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
What I took from it was that, for the cities reported, there is a range in Texas of average highs from 70-87, average lows of 44-68. Corresponding ranges for Florida were 77-89 and 53-73. The ranges are lower, and the variations larger in Texas than Florida. Doesn't really seem to confirm your assertion that "Texas is hotter than Florida". Or that you can look at the State as a whole and just dismiss it as "hot".

My whole point is that while a lot of it is, some of it isn't. You can see the ranges for yourself on those links. Personally I don't consider the Guadalupe Mountain area (49-70) to be hot - when we were there it was refreshingly cool, but "hot" is subjective and personal. Houston on the other hand is, by my reckoning, "hot" during the summer months. It's a big state, and there isn't a "one size fits all" for the climate - as I said in an earlier post, looking at cities rather than the entire state would be more representative and, to my mind, more useful.
Another generalization that people make is that 'AZ is hot'. It's true that the two biggest Metropolitan areas - Tucson and Phoenix - are hot, but the third biggest metro - Flagstaff - is nasty cold for much of the year, with lots of snow. Average high in January - 43F; Average low - 17F. The overnight lows in Flagstaff are below freezing for over 6 months of the year ...
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 2:53 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
..... Flagstaff - is nasty cold for much of the year, with lots of snow. Average high in January - 43F; Average low - 17F. The overnight lows in Flagstaff are below freezing for over 6 months of the year ...
Well it is almost 1½ miles above sea level.
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

tuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond repute

Stay in FL maybe find a less populated area to live in! Destin is beautiful!