Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

moving to a new state

moving to a new state

Old Aug 21st 2014, 5:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to a new state

Originally Posted by Steve_
I thought NH had a seat belt law now, I remember reading in the paper in Montana that MT is the only State now that doesn't require it. Or more accurately, they do require it, but they can only arrest you for it as a "secondary offence", i.e. you have to be arrested for something else first.
No, that's regarding children that must have a seat belt, adults don't.

It's why they don't get federal funding for road repairs and have terrible roads.
Old Aug 21st 2014, 8:56 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

So that article I read in the paper was wank then: State Seat Belt Laws
Old Aug 21st 2014, 9:02 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

So that article I read in the paper was wank then: .....
With respect to seatbelt laws in NH, that article describes exactly what Bob described, and what I understand the law to be, and therefore your previous post is incorrect.
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nethead
It probably depends on what you were buying, for example clothes are exempt from sales tax in VT I believe, it's complicated and I was wrong it's 7% according to my husband,,,,
Says clothes and food are exempt: http://www.state.vt.us/tax/pdf.word....rix%202012.pdf

Exempting clothes is unusual, haven't come across that before. Anyway I only bought food and clothes, so that was the reason I didn't get charged.
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by Pulaski
With respect to seatbelt laws in NH, that article describes exactly what Bob described, and what I understand the law to be, and therefore your previous post is incorrect.
Hence the reason I said the article was wank... and posted a link to accurate information...
Old Aug 21st 2014, 9:09 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Hence the reason I said the article was wank... and posted a link to accurate information...
You posted an article earlier in this thread? ..... If so, that wasn't clear- I thought you were rubbishing the article in the post of yours that I quoted above.
Old Aug 22nd 2014, 3:36 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Texas is hot and dry,................ Texas is actually hotter than Florida as it doesn't have the subtropical climate.
Bit of a generalization for such a huge state - to clarify, East Texas IS subtropical. West Texas is semi arid prairie. Coastal East Texas (including Houston, where we are) has about double the annual rainfall of London (in inches) although, like many tropical/subtropical climates, it arrives in large volumes, so it probably has significantly less rainy days than London.

Property taxes here vary considerably depending on location. Our neighbours youngest kid has just gone off to college, so they are moving out of the school district, where taxes are pushing 4% and have bought a small holding about 10 miles away where taxes are slightly below 1%. Can't blame them!
Old Aug 22nd 2014, 9:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins
You know that when you rent a house you still pay the taxes, it's just part of the rent?
Not like a home owner does, rent may indirectly go towards taxes but your tax bill alone is more then my rent is. Plus add in the fact you have to replace and repair everything when owning, where renting the landlord does...I can see the possible long term benefit to owning, but short term renting seems to make more sense, and renting is the only option for more and more as houses become less affordable in more places.

I am not even sure my current place pays property tax, its run by a non-profit housing authority on behalf of the government who also has a financial stake in the building.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Aug 22nd 2014 at 9:19 am.
Old Aug 22nd 2014, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Not like a home owner does, rent may indirectly go towards taxes but your tax bill alone is more then my rent is. Plus add in the fact you have to replace and repair everything when owning, where renting the landlord does...I can see the possible long term benefit to owning, but short term renting seems to make more sense, and renting is the only option for more and more as houses become less affordable in more places. ....
With respect to Jsmth's circumstances, houses/ homes are affordable for many in most places but often tenants make bad choices, spending money on beer and or cigarettes, or on vehicles. If you drive through the poor parts of the town nearest to my home you will see Caddies, Lexuses, BMWs, and Mercedes, and other prestige vehicles. Granted, they're not necessary new but they're still expensive to buy and maintain, .... and worth more than the vehicles I drive though I own my own house out of town, a house that is worth 4-6 times the rented houses in the poor parts of town. Sometimes it is a matter of the choices people make.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 22nd 2014 at 12:20 pm.
Old Aug 23rd 2014, 1:09 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Good reason not to buy a house, how can anyone afford to own with taxes like that, boggles my mind.
our property tax is over 11k here in Tx.
Old Aug 23rd 2014, 1:13 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Bit of a generalization for such a huge state
Well suffice to say if being hot in Florida is your problem, moving to Texas isn't going to solve it.
Old Aug 23rd 2014, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by MsElui
our property tax is over 11k here in Tx.
And your state income tax is ...... ?
Old Aug 23rd 2014, 1:55 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Every State has its tax downsides, that's the reason people move to Florida.

Oh I can't move to x, the sales tax is too high, they have an income tax, the property tax is too high, they have an estate tax, blah blah.
Old Aug 23rd 2014, 2:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

In two hours I'm moving to a drunken State

Martini night!
Hic!
Old Aug 23rd 2014, 2:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janeth8711
Sorry for not replying sooner.
We moved her 2 years ago. Tax was $1600, just got our new one for november and its gone to $3800. Our home is worth about $250.000 its not the tax as such but how much will it keep increasing to per year. We did have homestead but it only reduced by a few hundred.
The Case-Shiller home price index for Miami was about 280 before the recession and local governments were likely taxing homes to pay for education and local services as a percentage )mill rate) of home values then. During the recession, Florida was hit hard and the Miami index dropped to about 150 meaning that local governments would only get about 60% of the revenue if the mill rate remained the same. Although the index has risen to about 185, that is still well below the index before the recession. I suspect that most of the tax increase that you are seeing is to get local government revenues back to near pre-recession levels.

Many things determine the mill rate including the value of the homes in the area, amount and size of industry in the area that generates tax revenues, and expenditures for education and local services.

S&P/Case-Shiller 20-City Composite Home Price Index - S&P Dow Jones Indices

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.