Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

moving to a new state

moving to a new state

Old Aug 17th 2014, 12:20 am
Forum Regular

janeth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nice
Default moving to a new state

Hi Everyone,

Ok so we move to Florida just over 2 years ago.
We choose Florida for family reasons but are now looking at moving to another state.
Our property tax has tripled in 2 years and we want to move somewhere less stressed, more scenic, and a different climate instead of hot and hotter!
Hubby works self employed so job is not a problem.
We have looked at a few states such as texas and colorado.
Anyone with any suggestions on where we can look would be appreciated

Janet
Old Aug 17th 2014, 12:53 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to a new state

If you want humid hot and freezing cold, which if you're considering Colorado, you might want Maine too. Tax is low, though compared to average salary there, is considered a bit high, depending on where in the state.

Over all, low cost of living though and if you're in the Portland area, close enough to Boston, for easy airport access to travel all over and it's got a nice quality of life, certainly scenic and a nice pace of life.

Cheap and similar would include New Hampshire and Vermont.
Old Aug 17th 2014, 1:03 am
Forum Regular

janeth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nice

Thanks for your suggestions Bob,
I never even thought of new Hampshire or Maine.
Having goggled they look alot like England, very green and scenic.
My family are a mixed bunch, my eldest daughter and i love the heat, but my hubby and 2 smallest like the seasons, which i admit so do i.
Were wanting to buy a home with some land , not too much an acre or 2 and not be within 6 feet to our neighbours!

janet
Old Aug 17th 2014, 9:20 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janeth8711
Thanks for your suggestions Bob,
I never even thought of new Hampshire or Maine.
My family are a mixed bunch, my eldest daughter and i love the heat, but my hubby and 2 smallest like the seasons, which i admit so do i.
Were wanting to buy a home with some land , not too much an acre or 2 and not be within 6 feet to our neighbours!

janet
Land is cheap in Maine....and they do have seasons...5 of them.

Portland and southern Maine can be a bit pricey though, but it's a big state, plenty of nice towns in the lakes area, or along the coast.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 2:24 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Does your hubby's business factor in to this? Is it preferential he is in a certain time zone, have access to a hub airport, etc?

Are you looking for the burbs or a rural retreat?

The cost of living, and hence quality of life, here in the DFW area of Texas is good.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 5:57 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Our property tax has tripled in 2 years and we want to move somewhere less stressed, more scenic, and a different climate instead of hot and hotter!
Florida has about the lowest overall tax burden of any State (with the exception of Alaska), so moving on that basis is not a good idea. Are you not able to claim the homestead exemption? It's usually people who aren't LPRs or US citizens that have this problem with property tax.

Texas is hot and dry, Colorado is cold and dry. Can't honestly think of anywhere less stressed really either. Texas is actually hotter than Florida as it doesn't have the subtropical climate.

Ummm.... Reno maybe? Low taxes, more scenic, not much hotter during the summer and it has a winter.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 6:01 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

If that's what you're after I'd say Vermont or upstate New York or various parts of Ohio or Pennsylvania. Don't know what people do for a living in Vermont though, not much there. Vermont has no sales tax. New Hampshire is also a low tax jurisdiction, that's the main reason people live there. But the winters are pretty severe, bear in mind they border Canada.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 7:08 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Don't know what people do for a living in Vermont though, not much there.
Same as what they do in the rest of rural America. Work for the government. That is, teacher, police officer, corrections officer, highway department, social services etc. etc. Or, part time work in retail or fast food.

Although Vermont also has artisanal bread, artisanal sheep and goat cheese, artisanal microbrews, artisanal hard cider etc.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

I'm curious to know what you pay in property tax.

My property is valued at $350k for tax and I pay over $7k a year - might help if you're thinking about Maine. I do live in an excellent school area but even in cheaper areas I'd be paying $6k+.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

If that's what you're after I'd say Vermont or upstate New York or various parts of Ohio or Pennsylvania. Don't know what people do for a living in Vermont though, not much there. Vermont has no sales tax. New Hampshire is also a low tax jurisdiction, that's the main reason people live there. But the winters are pretty severe, bear in mind they border Canada.
Vermont does have a state sales tax it's 6%.

I love all of New England, and feel very settled and at home in Vermont.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Although Vermont also has artisanal bread, artisanal sheep and goat cheese, artisanal microbrews, artisanal hard cider etc.
And it has a bit of a burgeoning tech hub around Burlington. If they do bring in single-payer healthcare I can see VT beginning to attract companies from NY and MA.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 3:19 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

...New Hampshire is also a low tax jurisdiction, that's the main reason people live there. But the winters are pretty severe, bear in mind they border Canada.
No sales or income....they make up for it in property taxes and having some of the crappest public infrastructure ever.

Though you don't need to wear a seatbelt or have car insurance...which is the trade off
Old Aug 19th 2014, 3:34 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins
I'm curious to know what you pay in property tax.

My property is valued at $350k for tax and I pay over $7k a year - might help if you're thinking about Maine. I do live in an excellent school area but even in cheaper areas I'd be paying $6k+.
Good reason not to buy a house, how can anyone afford to own with taxes like that, boggles my mind.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 9:17 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Land is cheap in Maine....and they do have seasons...5 of them.

Portland and southern Maine can be a bit pricey though, but it's a big state, plenty of nice towns in the lakes area, or along the coast.

What's the fifth, and where does it sit? (fill in the below)

Winter ... spring ... summer ... fall ...
Old Aug 19th 2014, 11:47 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by dunroving

What's the fifth, and where does it sit? (fill in the below)

Winter ... spring ... summer ... fall ...
Mud season.

No, I'm not joking.

Between winter and spring, when the snow starts to melt, the whole place turns to mud for a few weeks and folks that work in the woods aren't able to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.