Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Loyalty....where is yours?

Wikiposts

Loyalty....where is yours?

Old Apr 27th 2010, 7:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Loyalty....where is yours?

Originally Posted by Mallory
I'm guessing your son was born in 1987/1988. It's interesting he thinks of himself as British. My daughter was born on "US soil" in Germany too, but she was born before 1983. She was not offered British citizenship.
Yep, 1988. Can she not get it now?

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Wasn't there a thing if you were male and born in Germany, even if to non German parents you had to make sure that they didn't get called up for obligatory national service or whatever they call it. This was some years ago btw.
It used to be like that, I actually thought it still was when our Son was born there, maybe it's different if they are born in a US military hospital on what is considered Us soil? We have never had anything official from Germany looking for him

Mallory beat me too it

Last edited by Englishtart; Apr 27th 2010 at 7:15 am. Reason: bit sloooow
Old Apr 27th 2010, 7:20 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
Yep, 1988. Can she not get it now?

It used to be like that, I actually thought it still was when our Son was born there, maybe it's different if they are born in a US military hospital on what is considered Us soil? We have never had anything official from Germany looking for him

Mallory beat me too it
Yes, she does now many years later, for a price. For a child with a British father $0. For a child born to a British Mother (before 1983) approximately $850.00. But obviously having gone through that debacle she considers herself to be an American, even though she has dual citizenship.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 7:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, she does now many years later, for a price. For a child with a British father $0. For a child born to a British Mother (before 1983) approximately $850.00. But obviously having gone through that debacle she considers herself to be an American, even though she has dual citizenship.
Wow! that doesn't sound right does it, why should it be different depending on which parent has UK citizenship?

My youngest Son (actually born in the UK) thinks of himself as American too, kids are wierd huh!!
Old Apr 27th 2010, 7:41 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
Wow! that doesn't sound right does it, why should it be different depending on which parent has UK citizenship?

My youngest Son (actually born in the UK) thinks of himself as American too, kids are wierd huh!!
Apparently, it was because the male carries on the family's surname!
Old Apr 27th 2010, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nethead
I feel the same way as Lisa, that I'm more British than American, but I don't think that will change even when I get my citizenship (which I'm in the process of at the moment).

My kids are half American as their Dad is a USC. The eldest 2 would still say they are English/British if asked, even though they were only 9 and 3 when we moved here 5 years ago. And both say they will move back to the UK when they are adults.

My relatives do that too Lisa, the whole 'us' and 'them' thing it's really irritating.
My daughter, who was 3 when we moved here 10 years ago often comes out with "oh you and your cute english ways"!!!! and when we were in the UK last and she had to climb some stairs in a pub she said "what is with you europeans and your stairs" <sigh>....yep, definitely more US than UK!
Old Apr 27th 2010, 7:52 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Of course, taking over the UK and subjugating the people would be pretty easy.

The populace has become so enfeebled, emasculated, infantilized and dependent, we could probably take over the whole country with a couple of hundred hunters.

All we'd have to do is show them a picture of a gun or a knife and they'd wet themselves in a government-engendered Pavlovian response, collapsing into paroxysms of terror.

Last edited by Octang Frye; Apr 27th 2010 at 7:55 am.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 8:05 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

All my brood were born here and are dual, both parents UKC born and raised and now duals too.
I still consider myself a Brit, not an American. I guess I'll be in the "camp" with the rest of the Brits with doubts.
The older boys (16 and 21) both say they are as at home in UK as here both plan on moving "home" (as they call it) the older one may be gone this summer
The little one (age 5) says "I'm 'merican" and is very indignant about it. But she says she's special because she has two counties and we speak English I still can't figure that one out.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 8:13 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm. Invading the UK. It's not a bad idea. And not without precedent.

One-person invasion attempt

In August 1990 an unemployed French nuclear physicist named André Gardes attempted a singlehanded invasion of Sark, armed with a semi-automatic weapon. The night Gardes arrived he put up signs declaring his intention to take over the island the following day at noon. He was arrested while sitting on a bench, changing the gun's magazine and waiting for noon to arrive, by the island's volunteer Constable.

I just won't put up signs.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 8:14 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, she does now many years later, for a price. For a child with a British father $0. For a child born to a British Mother (before 1983) approximately $850.00.
Does that only apply to children born before 1983? I was looking at the forms to get my kids (both under 5) British citizenship last weekend, and if I'm correctly reading the form I downloaded when looking for the cost of registration made no distinction between applications based on the nationality of the father or the mother (or on the year of birth):

Citizenship for an adult £550
Citizenship for child under 18 £470

The first page of the form does say that this is for applications made in the UK and that applications made abroad may have different fees, but the UKinUSA consular website suggests that the only difference in applying from the USA is that a courier cost needs to be added.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
feesfrom060410.pdf (209.0 KB, 4737 views)
Old Apr 27th 2010, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Of course, taking over the UK and subjugating the people would be pretty easy.

The populace has become so enfeebled, emasculated, infantilized and dependent, we could probably take over the whole country with a couple of hundred hunters.

All we'd have to do is show them a picture of a gun or a knife and they'd wet themselves in a government-engendered Pavlovian response, collapsing into paroxysms of terror.
You can probably achieve the same effect along the I-5 corridor
Old Apr 27th 2010, 8:30 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

One-person invasion attempt

In August 1990 an unemployed French nuclear physicist named André Gardes attempted a singlehanded invasion of Sark, armed with a semi-automatic weapon. The night Gardes arrived he put up signs declaring his intention to take over the island the following day at noon. He was arrested while sitting on a bench, changing the gun's magazine and waiting for noon to arrive, by the island's volunteer Constable.
But did the constable manage not to wet himself when he saw a real gun (not just a picture)?
Old Apr 27th 2010, 8:40 am
Peace onion

Well, the thing is, Sark is a part of the UK, but it isn't. Kind of like wave particle duality.

The people there are still Old School Brits. You know, self-sufficient. Tough. Resilient. Tweedy.

And remember, this was in 1990. Before the social justice/progressive social engineering kicked into overdrive.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 8:54 am
A lion in your lap

And remember, this was in 1990. Before the social justice/progressive social engineering kicked into overdrive.
does beg another question: if British people are uniformly prone to involuntary bowel evacuation at the sight of a mere picture of a gun/knife, then who's responsible for all the multiple stabbings and shootings that certain tabloids inform us that UK residents must endure on a daily basis?

Oh wait, is it all them immergrants?
Old Apr 27th 2010, 9:03 am
Peace onion

No, it's feral kids. Teens. Twenties. Morons. Roving bands. Thousands of them. Tens of thousands.

Here's a feral thug at work...

Last edited by Octang Frye; Apr 27th 2010 at 9:06 am.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 9:04 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
does beg another question: if British people are uniformly prone to involuntary bowel evacuation at the sight of a mere picture of a gun/knife, then who's responsible for all the multiple stabbings and shootings that certain tabloids inform us that UK residents must endure on a daily basis?

Oh wait, is it all them immergrants?
Are you sitting in a puddle?
Attached Thumbnails Loyalty....where is yours?-knives.jpg   Loyalty....where is yours?-guns.jpg   Loyalty....where is yours?-cat.jpg  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.