Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Loyalty....where is yours?

Loyalty....where is yours?

Old Apr 27th 2010, 5:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute
Question Loyalty....where is yours?

Ok, so I was having a conversation with my Son on Sunday, many of you know he is in the US Navy.

He was born on 'US soil' in Germany, but has always thought of himself as British first, American second. He is taking some classes right now, one of which is a US History class. He asked me a purely hypothetical question, about how I would feel if the US and Britain were involved in a war, but were on opposite sides. How would I feel about him protecting the US against the British?

I didn't know how to answer him, obviously I have never thought about it. As a USC now, would I be expected to be loyal to the US, or as a dual citizen, would I have to make a choice?..........hmmmmmmm??

How say you?

Not trying to cause any offense here, this is purely hypothetical
Old Apr 27th 2010, 6:09 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Loyalty....where is yours?

This came up in a slightly different manner for me.
There's a yank in the office who likes his football.
He asked me who I would be rooting for in the World Cup.

I said, oh, that's right - the USA is in the same group as us.

He said, "You've just told me".

But in a war, as a freshly made yank, my loyalty would be to the Constitution.

Englishtart - perhaps they might put the undecideds in internment camps, a la Japanese-Americans.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 6:31 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

ET, I think it's interesting that your son thinks of himself as British first and American second. He's less British than you, and more than his dad. Hmm. I wonder how the crop of AmeriBrits born on here (well figuratively not literally) will see themselves. Btw, keep those babies coming 'cuz we loves 'em,
Old Apr 27th 2010, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

At the moment I consider myself to be more British than American, but that might change if and when I become a dual citizen.
I usually root for the UK in things like the olympics, football etc. but I'm very aware that my kids are more American than British and are likely to put down roots here.

and as an asied, it really annoys me when people come to visit (especially close rellies like my parents, and say "they" all the time about americans, when I wish they would be aware that my kids consider themselves to be american)
Old Apr 27th 2010, 6:37 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
At the moment I consider myself to be more British than American, but that might change if and when I become a dual citizen.
I usually root for the UK in things like the olympics, football etc. but I'm very aware that my kids are more American than British and are likely to put down roots here.

and as an asied, it really annoys me when people come to visit (especially close rellies like my parents, and say "they" all the time about americans, when I wish they would be aware that my kids consider themselves to be american)
like the "well you know how those people are" I've heard from Americans about fellow Americans.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 6:39 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
Ok, so I was having a conversation with my Son on Sunday, many of you know he is in the US Navy.

He was born on 'US soil' in Germany, but has always thought of himself as British first, American second. He is taking some classes right now, one of which is a US History class. He asked me a purely hypothetical question, about how I would feel if the US and Britain were involved in a war, but were on opposite sides. How would I feel about him protecting the US against the British?

I didn't know how to answer him, obviously I have never thought about it. As a USC now, would I be expected to be loyal to the US, or as a dual citizen, would I have to make a choice?..........hmmmmmmm??

How say you?

Before anybody answers, I just want you all to know that the CIA monitors these forums for unAmerican activities.

Love you,
Old Apr 27th 2010, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Zonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond repute

How say you?

I would join the side with the most nukes.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67

I feel the same way as Lisa, that I'm more British than American, but I don't think that will change even when I get my citizenship (which I'm in the process of at the moment).

My kids are half American as their Dad is a USC. The eldest 2 would still say they are English/British if asked, even though they were only 9 and 3 when we moved here 5 years ago. And both say they will move back to the UK when they are adults.

My relatives do that too Lisa, the whole 'us' and 'them' thing it's really irritating.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 6:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Before anybody answers, I just want you all to know that the CIA monitors these forums for unAmerican activities.

Love you,
Good point....but really, I am just curious (ok, maybe nosey)

Cyndy, yeah, it is funny that my Son feels that way, I don't think that he would have any doubts about protecting the US against any foreign aggressors, he just wanted to know how I would feel about him doing that.

I'm really not sure how I would feel tbh, I call the US home, to my friends/family in the UK, but then I call the UK home, when I am talking to Americans
Old Apr 27th 2010, 6:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Englishtart - perhaps they might put the undecideds in internment camps, a la Japanese-Americans.
Ya think?
Old Apr 27th 2010, 6:55 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Ya think?
That would be you he's referring to, missy.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 6:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Leslie66
That would be you he's referring to, missy.
I know! but I could make my mind up real quick like if I had too!
Old Apr 27th 2010, 7:00 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

He was born on 'US soil' in Germany, but has always thought of himself as British first, American second. [/SIZE]
I'm guessing your son was born in 1987/1988. It's interesting he thinks of himself as British. My daughter was born on "US soil" in Germany too, but she was born before 1983. She was not offered British citizenship.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 7:10 pm
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by Mallory
I'm guessing your son was born in 1987/1988. It's interesting he thinks of himself as British. My daughter was born on "US soil" in Germany too, but she was born before 1983. She was not offered British citizenship.
Wasn't there a thing if you were male and born in Germany, even if to non German parents you had to make sure that they didn't get called up for obligatory national service or whatever they call it. This was some years ago btw.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 7:12 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Wasn't there a thing if you were male and born in Germany, even if to non German parents you had to make sure that they didn't get called up for obligatory national service or whatever they call it. This was some years ago btw.
Not if you were born on "US soil," i.e. US military base.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.