Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Loyalty....where is yours?

Wikiposts

Loyalty....where is yours?

Old Apr 30th 2010, 4:46 am
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Loyalty....where is yours?

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
I don't remember that bit, about the Sunday Sport. And I was wrong. The Michael Fish thing was from 1987.
I remember that day. They closed our school down for a day because a tree went through our Sixth Form Center.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 4:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Hey - can someone invite Patrick Hasler (sp?) to this thread? I'm sure he'd have some interesting comments on the topic, since he can't even bring himself to watch American football for fear of being seen as unpatriotic!
Old Apr 30th 2010, 5:25 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
The British seized the islands by force themselves several times in history, so you can't really use the argument of force either way. EG, in 1833 ..."The Argentinian assertions of sovereignty provided the spur for Britain to send a naval task force in order to finally and permanently return to the islands."

Fundamentally, the British 'ownership' of the Falklands / Malvinas is a leftover of colonial times and does not make a whole lot of sense in current times. I feel the same way about Guantanamo, Gibralter, etc.

I was far, far more interested in history back then, and was quite passionate about the subject. These days, I really don't give a toss who owns the stupid little islands but fundamentally they should not be owned by the UK. So if another fight broke out today I'd still hope the Argentinians prevailed.
I hear what you're saying, but ultimately, all land is plundered, right? Someone moves there, occupies it, and it becomes recognized as a territory belonging to a nation. It seems like some finite period of time has to pass, and then, bingo, you're established. Recognized.

I was going to ask you about Gibraltar (my sister was born there) but you said you feel the same.

From a self-interest and strategic stand-point, it's good to have these assets. Look how pivotal Gibraltar was in WWII. It's a way to project your sphere of influence further.

As for the Falklands/Malvinas today, there's that spat going on over drilling. There's a lot of oil there. A lot of money at stake. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

PS. You're a traitor!
PPS. For me, the Falklands conflict will forever be linked with Adrian Mole and his crumb.

Last edited by Octang Frye; Apr 30th 2010 at 5:28 am.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 5:43 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

The British seized the islands by force themselves several times in history, so you can't really use the argument of force either way. EG, in 1833 ..."The Argentinian assertions of sovereignty provided the spur for Britain to send a naval task force in order to finally and permanently return to the islands."

Fundamentally, the British 'ownership' of the Falklands / Malvinas is a leftover of colonial times and does not make a whole lot of sense in current times. I feel the same way about Guantanamo, Gibralter, etc.

I was far, far more interested in history back then, and was quite passionate about the subject. These days, I really don't give a toss who owns the stupid little islands but fundamentally they should not be owned by the UK. So if another fight broke out today I'd still hope the Argentinians prevailed.
so to hell with the British Citizens that make up the population of the islands and their UN-recognised right of self-determination?
Old Apr 30th 2010, 5:45 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
so to hell with the British Citizens that make up the population of the islands and their UN-recognised right of self-determination?
Holy cow! It's a left-on-left fight. Oh happy day!

\ Gets popcorn.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 5:54 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

The Argentinian claim to the Falklands is definitely a leftover of colonial times. More so than the British claim..
Old Apr 30th 2010, 5:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Zonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond repute

From a self-interest and strategic stand-point, it's good to have these assets. Look how pivotal Gibraltar was in WWII. It's a way to project your sphere of influence further.
Gibraltar was actually a useful asset during the Falkands War. If we were extra heavy flying out of the UK we stopped off at Gib to pick up fuel before flying further south. Having flown around the Spanish coast because they would not allow us to use their airspace.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

wallydug is just really nicewallydug is just really nicewallydug is just really nicewallydug is just really nicewallydug is just really nicewallydug is just really nicewallydug is just really nicewallydug is just really nicewallydug is just really nice

Of course, taking over the UK and subjugating the people would be pretty easy.

The populace has become so enfeebled, emasculated, infantilized and dependent, we could probably take over the whole country with a couple of hundred hunters.

All we'd have to do is show them a picture of a gun or a knife and they'd wet themselves in a government-engendered Pavlovian response, collapsing into paroxysms of terror.
Do you think so!
Better nations than America have tried.
Look at your military track record. Not very impressive. If you persist in making daft statements people might be tempted to have a go. No, surely even yanks couldn`t be fooled again. You should have told Bush The Younger that Rambo was fiction. Weapons of mass destruction.....another piece of yanky shit. Stick to Hollywood, more predictable results.

Wally ( Brit. patriot )
Old May 1st 2010, 12:36 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wallydug
Do you think so!
Look at your military track record. Not very impressive. If you persist in making daft statements people might be tempted to have a go. No, surely even yanks couldn`t be fooled again. You should have told Bush The Younger that Rambo was fiction. Weapons of mass destruction.....another piece of yanky shit. Stick to Hollywood, more predictable results.

Wally ( Brit. patriot )
Wally, it's Yankee, not yanky.
Old May 1st 2010, 2:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Wally, it's Yankee, not yanky.
Old May 1st 2010, 6:51 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you think so!
Look at your military track record. Not very impressive.
Old May 1st 2010, 7:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Do you think so!

Wally ( Brit. patriot )
I bet my dad can beat up your dad ...
Old May 1st 2010, 7:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

I bet my dad can beat up your dad ...
Old May 1st 2010, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

srefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of light

Do you think so!

Wally ( Brit. patriot )
Who knows, but if Britain could hold out for a generation or two, and some clever scientist could invent a pie bomb, they might just be alright...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8655651.stm
Old May 1st 2010, 9:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Do you think so!

Wally ( Brit. patriot )
Actually, if it came to a no-holds-barred, all-out fight, then the US would clearly prevail - simply based on sheer size, troop levels, budget, weapons, you name it. The problem is, it would be a vastly unpopular war since so many people here have ties to the 'old country', and public opinion is a massive factor affecting modern wars. A few CNN special reports showing Granny Smith bleeding from the head, and a hospital or two in flames, and the public would go ape-shit and the govt. would be scared to continue. Then you'd have the problem that half the army itself has ties to the old country, and the 'stomach' for brutal fighting against your half-cousin would be pretty small.

I suspect Octang's original post was more of a reference to the fact that the local populace in UK is unarmed, and he thinks that is the secret weapon to stopping an overthrow ...

Maybe if Sarah Palin gets in she'll declare war on Britain because 'they don't go to church' or something ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.