Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Wikiposts

Let's talk about cars

Old Jun 27th 2023, 4:09 am
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by Nutek
Waaaaay back in 1996, CT would not swap a UK license, but NY said they would. When I told the DMV (CT) that I was thinking of going that route, they said it didn't help me as they wouldn't swap an NY license for a CT one either.
I took the NY practical “test” back in 2012 and have since swapped my NY for a CT lisence in 2016 without an issue, I think they only did the eye sight test in CT when exchanging. The biggest hassle in NY was having to go to watch 5 hours of videos at a driving school… I think called the “Pre-licensing Course…
Old Jun 27th 2023, 4:12 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I would consider that to be more of an annoyance than a hurdle.
I drove around the block. Right turn, Right turn. Right turn. Right turn

Finished.

Old Jun 27th 2023, 4:16 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
..... The biggest hassle in NY was having to go to watch 5 hours of videos at a driving school… I think called the “Pre-licensing Course…
Yeah, I had to do that too. It was a PITA, and extremely dull. Most of my classmates apparently understood little or no English and spent the 5 hours chatting or napping.
Old Jun 27th 2023, 4:21 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
I drove around the block. Right turn, Right turn. Right turn. Right turn. .....
The NY test I took in Herkimer lasted about 8 minutes driving around the old residential grid near the test office. It included several STOP signs, at least one set of traffic lights, .... and a parallel parking maneuver, into a space big enough to park an 18-wheeler!
Old Jun 27th 2023, 5:38 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The NY test I took in Herkimer lasted about 8 minutes driving around the old residential grid near the test office. It included several STOP signs, at least one set of traffic lights, .... and a parallel parking maneuver, into a space big enough to park an 18-wheeler!
No parking for me. Even stopping at the end was a nose-in / pull thru.

Come to that, the guy didn't even accompany me back to the building, so anyone could have stood in for me really.
Old Jul 3rd 2023, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

epiphanyuk is an unknown quantity at this point

I miss my 56 plate Renault Clio Campus Sport. Sold to webuyanycar.com for £575 the day before I entered as a permanent resident. They would not add "sentimental value" no matter how hard I negotiated. Bastards.
Old Jul 3rd 2023, 4:23 pm
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ling_Noi
Finally did my Behind The Wheel exam here in San Diego. I'd watched a couple of YouTube videos to see what they'd ask before we actually set off (hand signals etc).

The actual test...explains the general level of driving here. I drove about 4 blocks around the DMV before being told I'd past with flying colors. 0 errors on the sheet. The examiner said she could have taken a nap.

I am not a good driver but I think you should at least get people to reverse the car in one direction or another.
You should be required to successfully parallel park and be able to reverse around a corner. I have taken driving test over the years for upgrades and parallel parking and reversing around a corner were required even when I took a Class A CDL test when I lived in Texas. That test was about 20 miles long and included driving in heavy traffic.I think they have since then relaxed the requirements to pass.
Old Jul 21st 2023, 3:18 am
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Added another BMW to the family.
My commuter car, Chevy Volt was struck by lightning and totaled. Ironic really.

Replaced it with this BMW i3S. Loving it so far. This thing is quick !

A carbon offset for my BMW M Roadster.

Old Jul 21st 2023, 3:28 am
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by excpomea
Added another BMW to the family.
My commuter car, Chevy Volt was struck by lightning and totaled. Ironic really.

Replaced it with this BMW i3S. Loving it so far. This thing is quick !

A carbon offset for my BMW M Roadster.

I used to be a big BMW fan but the new BMW models have too many serious issues that cost a lot of cash to repair at the stealership. I owned 5 different models over the years. The 2001 525d Touring I owned always had a problem requiring a visit to the stealership that no independent garage would or could repair. I hope their range of electric vehicles are less problematic than the Bensine and deisel models offered from 2000 thru today with I/C engines. I do love the Red/Black colour paint.
Old Jul 22nd 2023, 6:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Finknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by excpomea

I wonder if anybody has driven off with the cable still plugged in!
Old Jul 22nd 2023, 6:35 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Finknottle
You can count on that happening as distracted as many people are with their phones.
Old Jul 22nd 2023, 6:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if those same people have driven off from a gas station with the fuel nozzle still inserted into the tank!
Old Jul 22nd 2023, 6:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Finknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I wonder if those same people have driven off from a gas station with the fuel nozzle still inserted into the tank!
Happened to me, as a teenager, when working on a petrol station - deliberate in this case.
Old Jul 22nd 2023, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Nice looking car. I am trying to talk my wife into buying a Chevy Bolt. Electric is perfect for the driving she does. At most two round trips to down maybe 50 miles total.
Old Jul 22nd 2023, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

Every EV that I'm aware of won't let you do that. It just won't go into D/R with anything connected to the charge port, even if it's not powered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.