Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Sep 17th 2013, 11:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by markonline1
Just as bad. The designer of the PT Cruiser should never have been let near a design project again. Of all the cars I have driven, the PT Cruiser, was by far and away the worst thing I have ever had the misfortune to drive!
I rather liked it. You need to drive more cars.

We couldn't keep the things in stock for the first few years. We would refuse to sell one if we were down to the last one just to have one to show and demo. Long waiting lists and going for full list with people offering over list to get one. Never had many complaints from any of the people who bought one from us.

Last edited by dakota44; Sep 17th 2013 at 11:18 am.
Old Sep 17th 2013, 11:34 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... Of all the cars I have driven, the PT Cruiser, was by far and away the worst thing I have ever had the misfortune to drive!
The only way I can rationalize that statement is to assume that you are too young to have experienced BL's finest efforts!
Old Sep 17th 2013, 11:39 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I think someone who works at the nearby DQ has a TR8, there's a black one parked outside a lot. It is in really bad shape and he's put a stupid exhaust on it. But it's got the TR8 hood on it.
Old Sep 17th 2013, 11:40 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I don't think she drives much anyway. It's about 20 miles each way to visit us but other than that, she travels less than 5 to get to work. She should get plenty of use out of it, while she (finally) is able to build up some credit and trade it in.

Hope it works...it's those short journeys that really kill the saab, but as long as she doesn't gun it so the turbo kicks in, it'll last longer as they do die pretty easily after 100K and they're pretty expensive to replace....and definitely make sure to not let the tank drop below a quarter tank during winter or the fuel pump will die pretty quickly, both times for us it was at the 120K mark.
Old Sep 17th 2013, 11:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The only way I can rationalize that statement is to assume that you are too young to have experienced BL's finest efforts!
Or any number of American domestics over the decades. Oooof, Chevy Vega anyone? Ford Pinto? GM's X body cars? Omni or Horizon with the VW engine block mated to an aluminum head? Or the Renault engine? Oye the list is long.
Old Sep 17th 2013, 1:24 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MostlyYank
Hey all, a friend of mine is talking about an HHR. Any input?

Thanks

Pete
Don't do it! They are terrible. I'm amazed there are so many on the roads. I found it twitchy and unstable, especially in the wet. I drive a lot of hire cars and can hands down say its the worst I've ever driven. I took it back and told them to change it to something else for me. They told me I wasn't the first person to do that! (I know hire cars aren't the best representation of a car but this wasn't your usual hire car been driven hard, it had fundamental issues).

I've driven a PT Cruiser too and whilst it wasn't my favorite car, it was perfectly adequate.
Old Sep 17th 2013, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
My first car was an Austin Mini!
The interior of the cruiser is awful, the performance is awful, the auto transmission is awful, the handling is awful.... it's just an awful car!
Old Sep 17th 2013, 2:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

My first car was an Austin Mini!
The interior of the cruiser is awful, the performance is awful, the auto transmission is awful, the handling is awful.... it's just an awful car!
I begin to suspect that you have never driven a truly awful car, with truly awful handling, truly awful performance and a truly awful transmission. May I suggest a test drive in, oh, I don't know, maybe a 2004 or so Chevrolet Aveo? Just don't try to drive it uphill because it might roll back down, backwards. Happy to provide a further list of truly awful cars at your request.
Old Sep 17th 2013, 6:00 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bink
I'm amazed there are so many on the roads...I drive a lot of hire cars...
The second part explains the first. Many HHRs had rental car agencies as their first owners.

The HHR and PT Cruiser were both designed to match the EPA's definition of a "truck" for compliance with CAFE fuel economy standards. Sales of these cars allowed GM and Chrysler to sell more large gas-guzzling pickup trucks, since their sales were included in calculating the average fuel economy of their respective "truck" fleets.
Old Sep 17th 2013, 11:16 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
The second part explains the first. Many HHRs had rental car agencies as their first owners.

The HHR and PT Cruiser were both designed to match the EPA's definition of a "truck" for compliance with CAFE fuel economy standards. Sales of these cars allowed GM and Chrysler to sell more large gas-guzzling pickup trucks, since their sales were included in calculating the average fuel economy of their respective "truck" fleets.
Doesn't explain why they are so FUGLY. Homer Simpson designed a better looking car!

As for Volvos... lady at work has two of them. They both seem pretty nice and she likes them, but man, if anything goes wrong, they cost her a FORTUNE to put right.

Similar situation with our Mini really.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 1:59 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44
Or any number of American domestics over the decades. Ford Pinto?
My first American car! How I loved that thing! And even managed to avoid getting rear-ended and ending up in a ball of fire . . . .
Old Sep 18th 2013, 2:20 am
Mions' a point.

MostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond repute

Rotf you guys are killing me! I'll try punching him.

My wife LOVED PTs', I ended up breaking down and getting her one. Black Limited, all options. I thought it was pretty cool, added a 8 ball shift knob and three chrome strips behind the front wheels like a 40s car (pic below).

It was my first schooling on bushings and how to change them. As in, every single one. Among other issues but oof. I was glad to see it drive away.

She got mad at TopGear when they slammed the convertible version

It was very useful though. I hauled a bunch of folding chairs and 8 foot folding tables once, for example. It was comfortable. I also suspect that Chrysler had a high level meeting with all their top engineers to figure out how to get such awful gas mileage out of a little 4 cylinder.

I like the HHR in panel wagon trim, the custom ones with the little shaped windows like a 60s' van Wouldn't buy one though.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails Let's talk about cars-ptcruiser.jpg  
Old Sep 18th 2013, 2:27 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MostlyYank
..... I also suspect that Chrysler had a high level meeting with all their top engineers to figure out how to get such awful gas mileage out of a little 4 cylinder. ...
I had wondered about that myself. I figured it had to be some pretty special engineering, but of course it was worth it, to ensure that a retro-styled vehicle had authentic retro fuel economy!
Old Sep 18th 2013, 3:16 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Sooo...

How much do we hate the Nissan Juke? Consumer Reports say we like it quite a bit, which surprised me for some reason.

Primary use would be ferrying a spoilt Bulldog around town.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 3:22 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
Sooo...

How much do we hate the Nissan Juke? Consumer Reports say we like it quite a bit, which surprised me for some reason.

Primary use would be ferrying a spoilt Bulldog around town.
The good thing is, if one of those ever gets in an accident, they'll end up looking nicer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.