Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Oct 28th 2017, 2:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by Pulaski
They cheap, reliable, and need very little maintenance. They also work very well with small and medium sized engines.
My US spec Defender110 has a 4-on-the-floor ; what a PITA it is. When I rebuild the LR , that dam manual is coming out and in goes an auto.
Old Oct 30th 2017, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Had a delightful surprise yesterday.

Flew out to LA on Thursday for business, had been driving the car earlier in the day and everything was fine. Got back into Denver on Sunday morning and went to get groceries and the engine light was on. I was next to an AutoZone so swung by and borrowed their scanner.

Showing a blown DV. Slightly pissed off as it's a 2015 with 19,000 on the clock. Just dropped it off with VW this morning. They can't look at it til Wednesday, they also have no loaners which is a huge PITA.

At least it's covered under warranty I suppose!
Old Oct 30th 2017, 4:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

rbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenK91
Had a delightful surprise yesterday.

Flew out to LA on Thursday for business, had been driving the car earlier in the day and everything was fine. Got back into Denver on Sunday morning and went to get groceries and the engine light was on. I was next to an AutoZone so swung by and borrowed their scanner.

Showing a blown DV. Slightly pissed off as it's a 2015 with 19,000 on the clock. Just dropped it off with VW this morning. They can't look at it til Wednesday, they also have no loaners which is a huge PITA.

At least it's covered under warranty I suppose!
You haven't got a tune on it have you ?
Old Oct 30th 2017, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rbackhouse
You haven't got a tune on it have you ?
Yeah the ECU and DSG gearbox are on a stage one map via APR. I flashed it back to factory this morning before taking it in and I even told the service guy and he said it’s still covered under warranty which was a pleasant surprise.
Old Oct 30th 2017, 5:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

rbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah the ECU and DSG gearbox are on a stage one map via APR. I flashed it back to factory this morning before taking it in and I even told the service guy and he said it’s still covered under warranty which was a pleasant surprise.
That's unusual. Most places will use that as a reason to deny warranty. They can even see when you do the flash back also on alot of cars now.
Old Oct 30th 2017, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

I don't know if APR are affiliated with VW in anyway?

I also told them that on the phone before going down. So two people have told me the issue will be covered under warranty.

I know the error code is P0033 which is fairly broad but from what I've read the 2015 MK7 GTI's have had issues with poor pipework and DV's running to the turbo. Just to wait now and juggle the one remaining car we have with my wife!
Old Oct 30th 2017, 5:52 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

juggle the one remaining car we have with my wife!
Sounds risky.
Old Oct 30th 2017, 5:59 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
Sounds risky.
Sounds like he has too few cars, to me.
Old Oct 30th 2017, 6:00 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Sounds like he has too few cars, to me.
That's why he needs the wife... You can't juggle with just one thing.
Old Oct 30th 2017, 6:03 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
That's why he needs the wife... You can't juggle with just one thing.
Can you juggle with just two things? That is why I was thinking he needs another car, or maybe adding a girlfriend would lead to better juggling opportunities?
Old Oct 30th 2017, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

I need to take the Pulaski approach and start hoarding cars
Old Oct 30th 2017, 6:20 pm

I need to take the Pulaski approach and start hoarding cars
Well, clutch plates.
Old Oct 30th 2017, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if APR are affiliated with VW in anyway?

I also told them that on the phone before going down. So two people have told me the issue will be covered under warranty.

I know the error code is P0033 which is fairly broad but from what I've read the 2015 MK7 GTI's have had issues with poor pipework and DV's running to the turbo. Just to wait now and juggle the one remaining car we have with my wife!
I presume that you did check the hoses for tight clamps?

How is it that you can map your ECU but don't have your own OBDII scanner?
Old Oct 30th 2017, 11:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by zzrmark
I presume that you did check the hoses for tight clamps?

How is it that you can map your ECU but don't have your own OBDII scanner?
Yeah I checked the hoses and also checked the boost pressure.

APR app via iOS, you can also do it via your laptop but it's absolute crap for reading codes with.

Just to add to this, from the UniTronic/APR website:

Will the dealer know that I have a tune?
If anyone at the dealer test drives a tuned MK7 GTI, they will certainly know that it has performance software. In regards to the dealer being able to detect the tune it is unclear at this time. There is a flagging system called TD1 which will make a note if it detects if a vehicle has been tuned. As far as we know the flash counter is not used to determine if it has been tuned at this time. We do recommend flashing your MK7 GTI back to stock with your Uniconnect+ cable before bringing your vehicle to the Dealer.

Will they know if I flash it back to stock?
At this time we are not aware of any Untronic flashed vehicle that was put back to stock, which was TD1 flagged when it went in for service.

Last edited by BenK91; Oct 30th 2017 at 11:49 pm.
Old Nov 1st 2017, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Finally got a call from VW this morning.

We have a lot of rodents here in CO, especially around where I live. Basically one of them decided to chew through a chunk of my wiring harness while I was out of town on business.

As it's outside influence it's obviously not going to be covered under warranty so I'm looking to lose around $500-$550.

I may not respond for a while, I'll be roaming the neighborhood with some sort of weapon trying to take out every rodent within a mile.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.