A language question

Old Aug 26th 2011, 5:17 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A language question

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Usually it's 'go potty'. I don't like that expression very much.

Admittedly, I usually get a few funny looks when I say "I'm off to the gents'". I would try "I'm away for a Geoff Hurst" but I'd end up wetting myself by the time I'd be able to explain it.
Mine is "I've got to see a man about a dog" and only my wife has any idea what I am talking about

edit: Which is odd, because I have read that it is supposed to be an Americanism too.

Last edited by kimilseung; Aug 26th 2011 at 5:50 pm.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 5:19 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Mine is "I've got to see a man about a dog" and only my wife has any idea what I am talking about
I'll make my son laugh from time to time by saying "I'm away to count my knobs", which was a favourite expression of a friend of mine back in Blighty.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 5:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Don't know. However, when Americans "queue up" -- people on the East Coast tend to say "stand on line" while West Coast people tend to say "stand in line." I've heard people actually argue about that one.
But, but, but.....people don't stand in/on line in the East Coast, they horde, and rabble browse their way to the front
Old Aug 26th 2011, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

The epitome of proper (American) word usage and sentence structure used to be the newspaper - now I read (and hear on the local TV news) that windows were "busted" - irritates the crap out of me!
Old Aug 26th 2011, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

Scott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond repute

Old Aug 26th 2011, 7:37 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nethead
My kids have a habit of saying something happened 'on' accident instead of 'by' accident which doesn't sound right to me. I thought it was just them and some type of kid talk then I heard an adult the other day say it, so don't know whether it's an American thing or a regional thing??
Mine has been saying that too. Midwest?
Old Aug 26th 2011, 7:40 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Again can confirm. In Illinois here, my American stepson says it like that, no matter how many times I correct him, or kick his arse . . .
Old Aug 26th 2011, 7:45 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
'I won't be beat' is the catchphrase for a local mattress store.

I don't know if it's 'wrong' or just different usage, Americans seem to say things like "I wish I would have done that".
Americans don't seem to use the subjunctive much. They tend to use two conditionals.

"If the first baseman would have caught the ball, the batter would have been out." Instead of "If the first baseman had caught the ball, the batter would have been out."
Old Aug 26th 2011, 7:47 pm

Again can confirm. In Illinois here, my American stepson says it like that, no matter how many times I correct him, or kick his arse . . .

I haven't tried the arse-kicking method.

I just explain that language often changes, it isn't a static thing, but that there is always current accepted correct usage, and then there is colloquial usage, and then there is just plain wrong, and he has to know which is which.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 7:50 pm
I have a comma problem

I haven't tried the arse-kicking method.

I just explain that language often changes, it isn't a static thing, but that there is always current accepted correct usage, and then there is colloquial usage, and then there is just plain wrong, and he has to know which is which.
Arse kicking doesn't work when they're almost as tall as you are

But I do try to do the same as you, in teaching him the differences between a regional variation, and correct English.

Interestingly, speaking of regional varations, my wife thinks it was funny that when she asked for a 'pop' in LA nobody knew what she meant, but I knew exactly what a 'pop' was.

Then my mum and sister call everything 'juice', which confuses the shit out of SWMBO when they're over for a visit
Old Aug 26th 2011, 7:53 pm

Arse kicking doesn't work when they're almost as tall as you are

But I do try to do the same as you, in teaching him the differences between a regional variation, and correct English.

Interestingly, speaking of regional varations, my wife thinks it was funny that when she asked for a 'pop' in LA nobody knew what she meant, but I knew exactly what a 'pop' was.

Then my mum and sister call everything 'juice', which confuses the shit out of SWMBO when they're over for a visit
Given the various meanings of "juice" and "being juiced" that should make for an interesting time.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 7:56 pm
I have a comma problem

Given the various meanings of "juice" and "being juiced" that should make for an interesting time.
Not as interesting as you might think
Old Aug 26th 2011, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

No we're in PA.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Another one I've noticed is the pronunciation of wolf, loads of people here say woof
Old Aug 26th 2011, 11:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nethead
Another one I've noticed is the pronunciation of wolf, loads of people here say woof
Yes I think it's woof here as well.

That reminds me of a posh boy at school who said 'dorf' for 'dwarf'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.