A language question

Old Aug 25th 2011, 4:13 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A language question

Originally Posted by robin1234
But I did understand the whole thing, so not really an issue. It has a steering wheel, but needs a gas tank (for instance.)
I've found that reading a paragraph that is riddled with catastrophic mispelling is much easier to read than one that is horrifically puncuated.

Probably some trick of the brain.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Cattywampus? Does anybody say that?

I'm pretty sure wallered out is a legitimate technical term.

I'm thinking more like this:

http://huntington.craigslist.org/cto/2490361930.html
I simply cannot believe the person who wrote that was other than attention-seeking for his vehicle. Like the lettered signs in front of an establishment where some of the letters are turned backwards or upside down in order to grab your attention. I can't imagine a person intelligent enough to send pictures back and forth on his cell phone or iphone being uneducated and stupid enough to write something like that. It's a sham! He might have misspelled a couple or a few words, but not that many.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 4:45 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress
I simply cannot believe the person who wrote that was other than attention-seeking for his vehicle. Like the lettered signs in front of an establishment where some of the letters are turned backwards or upside down in order to grab your attention. I can't imagine a person intelligent enough to send pictures back and forth on his cell phone or iphone being uneducated and stupid enough to write something like that. It's a sham! He might have misspelled a couple or a few words, but not that many.
I find the advert to be more eloquent than many a jargon riddled waffle from the educated who are trying to impress.

It is clearly nothing to do with stupidity, uneducated, maybe. I know people like this, intelligent people who missed out on an education; for example, someone I know would write in a similar way, they left school at 15, got a job in a factory, learned the job, started to manage, got a lucrative job abroad in a country setting up a similar industry, but they were unable to move out of that niche because they could not write a CV; actually I am talking about me dad, and I think I inherited a few of his grammar and spelling blind spots, an education stopped me being as bad as he had been, but I do have a sense of empathy with the advert writer.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 4:53 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not going to speculate on why some people write at that level. There are probabaly as many reasons as people. But if you think it's a sales trick, you don't spend a lot of time on CL! Actually, it's not limited to CL, I've seen examples of creative spelling and random acts of punctuation at various places on the internet, including BE.

I'll also state that an individual's crimes against the written word are not an accurate indicator of overall intelligence. Try it and you'll eventually get burned.

Last edited by another bloody yank; Aug 25th 2011 at 4:59 pm.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 5:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gorgiasgirl
'I could care less' does my nut in. I have never posted on this site before but this is the subject that has drawn me out of my lurking. I take it you've all seen this 100 times already:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om7O0MFkmpw
It must really get on your goat then, if it's your first post in a year!

Welcome to BE
Old Aug 25th 2011, 5:30 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not going to speculate on why some people write at that level. There are probabaly as many reasons as people. But if you think it's a sales trick, you don't spend a lot of time on CL! Actually, it's not limited to CL, I've seen examples of creative spelling and random acts of punctuation at various places on the internet, including BE.

I'll also state that an individual's crimes against the written word are not an accurate indicator of overall intelligence. Try it and you'll eventually get burned.
I just think the guy typed the entire thing from his phone. I have a horrific time trying to text in perfect English and I use very little text speak. Some of the shit I text when I'm in a hurry is insane. He probably could have done a lot better but just didn't care.

Example from a recent text conversation:

Them: Can you have visitors at work? And do you want to grab a late lunch?

Me: I byself tidy si u can drop by antime. We canest somewhere around here.

Old Aug 25th 2011, 5:40 pm
Unmitigated Gall

Originally Posted by Leslie
I just think the guy typed the entire thing from his phone. I have a horrific time trying to text in perfect English and I use very little text speak. Some of the shit I text when I'm in a hurry is insane. He probably could have done a lot better but just didn't care.

I have a Blackberry issued by work. Trying to compose and send an email on their microscopic keys is crazy. My thumb tends to hit three keys at a time. I'm also pretty anal about checking my spelling and making sure the grammar is reasonably correct so composing an email the length of that guy's CL ad would have taken me a good half hour or more. As a result, the emails I send from my BB tend to read like Magic 8 Ball predictions.

I have a personal cell as well, but don't text or email on it.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 5:49 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure about that. There are several phonetically sound misspellings that are not the kind you'd get from typos on a keyboard: "it has a 350 turbow tranny", "it has crom rimmes" and "i have fearly new parts".
Old Aug 25th 2011, 5:59 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Blackberry issued by work. Trying to compose and send an email on their microscopic keys is crazy. My thumb tends to hit three keys at a time. I'm also pretty anal about checking my spelling and making sure the grammar is reasonably correct so composing an email the length of that guy's CL ad would have taken me a good half hour or more. As a result, the emails I send from my BB tend to read like Magic 8 Ball predictions.

I have a personal cell as well, but don't text or email on it.
I did a lot better before I had a touch screen. Gag a maggot.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 8:06 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
It must really get on your goat then, if it's your first post in a year!

Welcome to BE

Especially since she is a she I wonder where she has the nut.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Rete
Especially since she is a she I wonder where she has the nut.
It's on the crom rimmes.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 8:43 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

It's on the crom rimmes.
That's certainly how Chaucer used to spell it!
Old Aug 25th 2011, 9:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, very possibly having to do with childbirth. Have to ask the BE girl parts Dr.
Never heard of it!
Old Aug 26th 2011, 12:27 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
This analysis on World Wide Words is interesting.

The writer suggests that it may be a typical American "sarcastic inversion of apparent sense" with its possible roots in Yiddish phrases etc.;

"There’s a close link between the stress pattern of I could care less and the kind that appears in certain sarcastic or self-deprecatory phrases that are associated with the Yiddish heritage and (especially) New York Jewish speech. Perhaps the best known is I should be so lucky!, in which the real sense is often “I have no hope of being so lucky”, a closely similar stress pattern with the same sarcastic inversion of meaning. There’s no evidence to suggest that I could care less came directly from Yiddish, but the similarity is suggestive. There are other American expressions that have a similar sarcastic inversion of apparent sense, such as Tell me about it!, which usually means “Don’t tell me about it, because I know all about it already”. These may come from similar sources."
yes.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 12:31 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

You text beter than I do which is why I don't text. I just use the excuse that I don't have a text allowance as part of my phone plan,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.