Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Japan 8.9 Earthquake & Tsunami

Japan 8.9 Earthquake & Tsunami

Old Mar 12th 2011, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Japan 8.9 Earthquake & Tsunami

All those poor people,it was horrific,it's SO sad
Old Mar 13th 2011, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Why do you call BS on it? That's pretty much what I first pictured.. prevailing winds bring all that stuff right to us (note the OR there on the coast)> I would love for it to be wrong.
Two Atomic Bombs were dropped on Japan in 1945, and people in the USA were fine then.

I won't be losing any sleep.

Jim.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 12:38 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I should have said they weren't the same type of graphite core.

Originally Posted by Michael
All the cores are the same and if control is lost, the core melts and a run away nuclear reaction occurs which produces heat. After all, the purpose of a nuclear power plant is to produce heat which produces steam which propels the steam turbines that produces electricity.

One of the biggest dangers when trying to get the reaction under control is the build up of a hydrogen bubble which caused the explosion in both Chernobyl and Japan. In Cherbobyl, the explosion damaged the core but according to Japanese officials, the core wasn't damaged in their explosion and only the containment building was damaged. On three mile island, there was also a hydrogen bubble but that was controlled by releasing gases to the environment as well as they had enough power to scrub the bubble reducing the hydrogen bubble.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 12:48 am
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
What are they going to do to keep the core cool? Run external water pumps from the ocean to the core?
Apparently that is exactly what they are doing.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 3:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I should have said they weren't the same type of graphite core.
Yes there are different types of designs and metals that are used that can mitigate the effects of a nuclear meltdown. The one that had the explosion was designed by GE in the 1970s called the Mark 1. One of the weaknesses of the Mark 1 design is a 90% chance of a containment failure during a meltdown. However with the sides already blown off, I suspect his one will be 100% unless the inside walls are intact.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 3:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Why do you call BS on it? That's pretty much what I first pictured.. prevailing winds bring all that stuff right to us (note the OR there on the coast)> I would love for it to be wrong.
+1
Old Mar 13th 2011, 4:47 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

NHK is saying a melt down has happened.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 4:48 am
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
NHK is saying a melt down has happened.
Partial from what I have read.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 8:50 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting Before & After pics imo
Old Mar 13th 2011, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

janette is on a distinguished road

Just to change the subject, thanks Bob for the link you gave earlier. I passed it on to a friend who knows someone who had been unable to contact his, who was teaching there. I just checked her name and it says she has been reported alive. That is good news for one family anyway.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 10:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tarkak9
Interesting Before & After pics imo
Those photos just show how horrifyingly incomprehensible this disaster is.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 10:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Most of those photos were taken by google earth. The following link contains an album of before and after photos.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1180792...3600944/Japan#
Old Mar 14th 2011, 12:18 am
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

This explains why the image posted is BS:

http://focusonenergy.wordpress.com/2...tion-map-fail/
Old Mar 14th 2011, 10:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janette
Just to change the subject, thanks Bob for the link you gave earlier. I passed it on to a friend who knows someone who had been unable to contact his, who was teaching there. I just checked her name and it says she has been reported alive. That is good news for one family anyway.
that's good to hear!

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...569336&t=h&z=5

For google high res pics...very surreal
Old Mar 14th 2011, 11:10 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Why Tokyo had an 80 second head start

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.