Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Japan 8.9 Earthquake & Tsunami

Japan 8.9 Earthquake & Tsunami

Old Mar 14th 2011, 11:33 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Japan 8.9 Earthquake & Tsunami

Some of the idiotic comments from youtube and Facebook are amazing:

The Imperial Army from Heaven has finally carried out justice against the Japanese Imperial country which had artificially devastated OTHER countries in the similar fashion. Karma, just like what Dalai Lama's Buddhism says : you reap what you sowed and those Japanese who bombed other people's cities into oblivions can bear witness and FEEL the pain and despair they caused OTHERS 65 years ago in the name of Hirohito and his Imperial Family who are STILL revered by Japanese today. Whales say HELLO
Old Mar 15th 2011, 12:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sime303
Apparently that is exactly what they are doing.
I doubt that. You can't just open the doors of the containment vessel and run a fire hose. If they did, all the gases from the reactor would escape to the environment and the containment vessel would be rendered useless. I wonder if that emergency capability was already built into the plant.

Apparently the way the reactor is normally cooled is that water is pumped through a closed loop through the reactor inside the containment vessel and that water is cooled by ocean water which is circulated from and to the ocean. Even this I don't quite understand since it would seem that the circulation of ocean water would make the containment vessel vulnerable since there would be pipes that pass through the containment vessel reducing the integrity of the containment vessel.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 1:47 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
I doubt that. You can't just open the doors of the containment vessel and run a fire hose. If they did, all the gases from the reactor would escape to the environment and the containment vessel would be rendered useless. I wonder if that emergency capability was already built into the plant.

Apparently the way the reactor is normally cooled is that water is pumped through a closed loop through the reactor inside the containment vessel and that water is cooled by ocean water which is circulated from and to the ocean. Even this I don't quite understand since it would seem that the circulation of ocean water would make the containment vessel vulnerable since there would be pipes that pass through the containment vessel reducing the integrity of the containment vessel.
The containment is a building or chamber and must have pipes passing through it since the reactor vessel is inside the drywell. The instrumentation passes through to the habitable part of the building for monitoring and control.
This may give you a better look.

The first nuke that I worked on was one of these BWRs, in North Carolina.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 1:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
The containment is a building or chamber and must have pipes passing through it since the reactor vessel is inside the drywell. The instrumentation passes through to the habitable part of the building for monitoring and control.
This may give you a better look.

The first nuke that I worked on was one of these BWRs, in North Carolina.
I understand that water pipes have to run through the containment wall but I don't understand how the containment wall can prevent leakage if a meltdown occurs with a massive pipe is running through the wall. It would seem that the pipe would be the weak link in the wall and wouldn't be able to withstand the pressures and heat generated during a meltdown.

Do they have a way of sealing off the pipes with a massive value if a meltdown occurs? It would seem that the value would need to be as thick as the containment wall and have the same melting point of the wall to not compromise the integrity of the containment vessel.

Last edited by Michael; Mar 15th 2011 at 2:10 am.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 1:26 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

I understand that water pipes have to run through the containment wall but I don't understand how the containment wall can prevent leakage if a meltdown occurs with a massive pipe is running through the wall. It would seem that the pipe would be the weak link in the wall and wouldn't be able to withstand the pressures and heat generated during a meltdown.

Do they have a way of sealing off the pipes with a massive value if a meltdown occurs? It would seem that the value would need to be as thick as the containment wall and have the same melting point of the wall to not compromise the integrity of the containment vessel.
Pile all that on a surface that can turn into jelly at the tip of a hat and it's all suddenly, not so safe anymore.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 1:41 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

This may explain the system better. The pipes are very strong for their size, they do not have to be as thick and strong as the containment to survive.

The pressurizer works like an expansion tank, it is from there that they release pressure in the reactor when it is in trouble.

Old Mar 15th 2011, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

dinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to behold

This and this from the Register seem to provide some insight.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 3:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
This may explain the system better. The pipes are very strong for their size, they do not have to be as thick and strong as the containment to survive.

The pressurizer works like an expansion tank, it is from there that they release pressure in the reactor when it is in trouble.

http://www.world-nuclear.org/uploade..._net_power.png
Not much in the link to describe the detail but just an overview. Even the containment vessel does not seem to have a high enough melting point if a total meltdown occurs. According to the link, the containment vessel is made of steel which typically has a melting point of between 2600-2800 F and other links indicate temperatures in the core can reach 3400 F during a core meltdown. Maybe there is some steel alloy that has a melting point above 3400 F or they are now using radioactive materials that won't reach those temperatures.

I suspect that during a total core meltdown, pressures are probably not a major problem since there isn't any water in the vessel to produce pressure. Now they have to release that built up pressure since steam is being produced that can't be condensed.

Those links describes the current situation in Japan which are probably currently level 4 failures. Three mile island was a level 5 failure which had major core damage but didn't result in a complete core meltdown and had a limited lrelease of radio active material. Until there is a complete core meltdown that remains at a level 5 failure, we won't know if the containment vessel can contain the meltdown. If it hits a level 6 (Kyshtym) or level 7 (Chernobyl), that means the containment vessel was breached.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

One questions the wisdom of building so many Nuclear Facilities in area prone to big Earthquakes and Tsunamis.

What the F*** were they thinking?

Jim.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 4:11 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dinosaur
Very well balanced and informative articles you posted there. These should be required reading for everybody so they can educate themselves about the engineering and physics principles at work here and ignore the scaremongering by the largely uneducated denizens of the news media.

In fact the only sensible thing I heard regarding the news about this was from a weatherman who stated that this was 'not going to be another Chernobyl'. Of course, being a scientist, you'd not expect any less

Instead of crediting the Japanese people for their resilience in the face of disaster, and their ability to handle the situation and keep things under control during what must be unmeasurably stressful times, they concentrate on the usual scaremongering and crying wolf. I'm sorry but I find that to be inexcusable, and another reason why once the weather and the traffic report is done, I ignore the news and go do other things.

My hat is off to Japan on this one - they are handling this so much better than a lot of other countries would IMHO. There were terrible losses of course, but it could have been so much worse.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 4:38 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Very well balanced and informative articles you posted there. These should be required reading for everybody so they can educate themselves about the engineering and physics principles at work here and ignore the scaremongering by the largely uneducated denizens of the news media.

In fact the only sensible thing I heard regarding the news about this was from a weatherman who stated that this was 'not going to be another Chernobyl'. Of course, being a scientist, you'd not expect any less

Instead of crediting the Japanese people for their resilience in the face of disaster, and their ability to handle the situation and keep things under control during what must be unmeasurably stressful times, they concentrate on the usual scaremongering and crying wolf. I'm sorry but I find that to be inexcusable, and another reason why once the weather and the traffic report is done, I ignore the news and go do other things.

My hat is off to Japan on this one - they are handling this so much better than a lot of other countries would IMHO. There were terrible losses of course, but it could have been so much worse.
Agree with you here Sultan, the situation is horrendous and they seem to be dealing with things the best they can, alot better than most countries would.

Hubby has just sent me an email saying his company have made a $2.5m donation and will match employee donations up to another $1m. It's a nice gesture, but its like a drop in the ocean really isn't it.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 4:45 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
Agree with you here Sultan, the situation is horrendous and they seem to be dealing with things the best they can, alot better than most countries would.

Hubby has just sent me an email saying his company have made a $2.5m donation and will match employee donations up to another $1m. It's a nice gesture, but its like a drop in the ocean really isn't it.
True, but at least they are doing what they can to help.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 5:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

dinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
the scaremongering by the largely uneducated denizens of the news media.
Unfortunately, it's their job - let's be honest, "Nuke power plants safety mechanisms on the whole working" isn't going to sell as many ads as "Meltdown Catastrophe May Be Underway".
Old Mar 15th 2011, 5:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
One questions the wisdom of building so many Nuclear Facilities in area prone to big Earthquakes and Tsunamis.

What the F*** were they thinking?

Jim.
They take a gamble.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 5:39 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by dinosaur
Unfortunately, it's their job - let's be honest, "Nuke power plants safety mechanisms on the whole working" isn't going to sell as many ads as "Meltdown Catastrophe May Be Underway".
Aye, such is life I suppose. Wasn't always that way - I was watching on YouTube last night a video of when they landed a 727 at Meigs Field in Chicago so it coule be put on display at the Museum of Science and Industry (needless to say the short runway at Meigs made for a tricky landing). The pilot on the day had put together various news clips from local Chicago stations and they reported the event with the right mix of info and enthusiasm.

Something tells me if it was done this year (and let's assume that numpty Daly hadn't closed Meigs Field in the meantime) that they would have done something more like "Passenger jet narrowly misses Hancock building and rush hour traffic on Lake Shore Drive for emergency landing on private airfield. Latest reports say health care reform and stem cell research is to blame. More at 10."

[/sarcasm]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.