Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

How "Foreign" is the USA ?

How "Foreign" is the USA ?

Old Apr 13th 2015, 7:50 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How "Foreign" is the USA ?

Originally Posted by TopSec

We went out to buy 'stormproof' cycling jackets at the weekend (before everyone else realised!). Our 'showerproof' turned out to be as good as useless! Which team are you riding for?
Couple of years back when there was a bad forecast Sun Ski Sports had a whole quadrant of the shop cordoned off and filled with specially shipped in rain gear! As it turned out, there was no rain that year, but a lot of wind...

I'm riding BP this year. First couple of years were Shell, then 3 years with BP, then BG and now back to BP. Not working, I basically whore out my fundraising efforts to whoever will have me Who are you with?
Old Apr 13th 2015, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

TopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Couple of years back when there was a bad forecast Sun Ski Sports had a whole quadrant of the shop cordoned off and filled with specially shipped in rain gear! As it turned out, there was no rain that year, but a lot of wind...

I'm riding BP this year. First couple of years were Shell, then 3 years with BP, then BG and now back to BP. Not working, I basically whore out my fundraising efforts to whoever will have me Who are you with?
Small team; Endress & Hauser. We're like you, go with whoever invites us, have done it with Sun & Ski a couple of times, and on our lonesomes a couple of times. Just looking at the weather on ABC13 app, 30% chance of rain Sat, Nothing on Sun. Crap wind though Hope there isn't too much rain this week and La Grange gets flooded, missed a Saturday a few years back when that happened
Old Apr 13th 2015, 7:57 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski

.... who's husband was from New Zealand.
I'm filling in for Sultan today.
Old Apr 13th 2015, 8:04 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
I'm filling in for Sultan today.
No. No you're not. He quite clearly said:

every one of those, including me, had a foreign wife or girlfriend, except for the only woman she hired, ..... who's husband was from New Zealand.
Re-read that. The woman who's husband was from New Zealand obviously didn't have a foreign wife, or girlfriend, did she?
Old Apr 13th 2015, 8:12 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Old Apr 13th 2015, 8:54 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Small team; Endress & Hauser. We're like you, go with whoever invites us, have done it with Sun & Ski a couple of times, and on our lonesomes a couple of times. Just looking at the weather on ABC13 app, 30% chance of rain Sat, Nothing on Sun. Crap wind though Hope there isn't too much rain this week and La Grange gets flooded, missed a Saturday a few years back when that happened
Ah, its getting better then. I can live with 30%. To be honest, I'm more worried about the rain, and not too fussed about the wind - I'm riding with my 13 yo (his second year) so we only do about 13-14 mph, and the wind doesn't seem so bad at that speed! That year that they cancelled the first day was the first year I rode it - phenomenally disappointed after all the training, and I felt like a real cheat to all the folk that had sponsored me!! The Sunday just felt like a regular training ride. Big let down, but they didn't really have a choice.
Old Apr 13th 2015, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

TopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, its getting better then. I can live with 30%. To be honest, I'm more worried about the rain, and not too fussed about the wind - I'm riding with my 13 yo (his second year) so we only do about 13-14 mph, and the wind doesn't seem so bad at that speed! That year that they cancelled the first day was the first year I rode it - phenomenally disappointed after all the training, and I felt like a real cheat to all the folk that had sponsored me!! The Sunday just felt like a regular training ride. Big let down, but they didn't really have a choice.
It depends which weather app I look on as to the %age!!

If I see a BP guy with his son, I'll wait to hear you say something to check out the accent then I'll say hi!! Good luck
Old Apr 13th 2015, 10:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I like that about here, too (Katy) - I posted recently about how many different nationalities there were in the Elementary School my youngest goes to. I think the youngsters are truly "blind" to race/color - unfortunately I suspect they will "grow out of" that, but the longer it lasts, the better as far as I'm concerned.
Calabasas is a bubble too. My daughter was completely bamboozled by the concept. She experienced her boyfriend getting a few comments, and when she came here she was exposed to the UKIP-type talk.
Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
No. No you're not. He quite clearly said:

Re-read that. The woman who's husband was from New Zealand obviously didn't have a foreign wife, or girlfriend, did she?
Whose.
Old Apr 13th 2015, 11:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

The town I am in now is not very diverse, but is very accepting since most of the people who now live here are from Vancouver or other regions with a very diverse population.

The government doesn't include the natives living on reserve land, so the demographics are skewed a bit because of it. This town is about 80% white, 15% SE Asian, and 5% other.
Old Apr 14th 2015, 5:43 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fozzyb
It may not be that all that atypical for some parts of the country.

In the street where I lived in Mountain View, 6 out of the 8 houses had mixed race couples (including us).
The two streets we've lived in, both with 4 houses each, the first one had 2 mixed race couples, 1 couple from Germany, and us from England. (2 Americans). The second street has a Chinese couple, a Korean couple, an Indian couple and us (0 Americans).

One thing I have noticed when out eating or drinking is that there rarely seems a table of mixed races. Maybe it's different at lunchtime when people from work seem to wander out to eat together but in the restaurants during the evening there will be tables of white people, tables of black people, asian people etc etc.
Hardly ever do you see a mixed bunch of people. Find it quite odd really.

Maybe just a Texan thing
Lots of families don't look mixed race, so how can you tell, presumably you're just going on the color of their skin?
Old Apr 14th 2015, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by N1cky
The two streets we've lived in, both with 4 houses each, the first one had 2 mixed race couples, 1 couple from Germany, and us from England. (2 Americans). The second street has a Chinese couple, a Korean couple, an Indian couple and us (0 Americans).

Lots of families don't look mixed race, so how can you tell, presumably you're just going on the color of their skin?
I think people are taking my comment slightly out of context here. What I was saying, whether I worded it correctly was that I had noticed when out at dinner that there didn't seem to be many tables with mixed groups of races/nationalities.

The obvious thing that differentiates is colour of skin. If they are caucasian, without hearing their accents I cannot tell if they are American/German/British etc!

I was not saying what was right or wrong merely it is what I have noticed.
Old Apr 14th 2015, 6:15 pm

It depends which weather app I look on as to the %age!!

If I see a BP guy with his son, I'll wait to hear you say something to check out the accent then I'll say hi!! Good luck
If you're starting at Tully, you will pass us fairly soon as BP go off first, and we will be at the back of that pack!! You'll probably hear us before you see us.....son is very keen on "communicating" on the road, and even more keen on calling out the faster cyclists that pass us without communicating

Saturday I'll be wearing the 2012 top fundraiser jersey and he'll have on the 30 year anniversary (orange and white) and Sunday we'll both be wearing this years BP. Of course, it may be more relevant to tell you that my waterproofs are red and his are blue.....
Old Apr 14th 2015, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Italians used to be considered non-whites in the US.
Old Apr 14th 2015, 6:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

I think people are taking my comment slightly out of context here. What I was saying, whether I worded it correctly was that I had noticed when out at dinner that there didn't seem to be many tables with mixed groups of races/nationalities.

The obvious thing that differentiates is colour of skin. If they are caucasian, without hearing their accents I cannot tell if they are American/German/British etc!

I was not saying what was right or wrong merely it is what I have noticed.
I don't know Houston so I can't comment on that but from my personal experience, I would say the opposite in my life. I dated a Chinese girl for over 10 years, my cousin is married to a black girl with three kids, my eldest son's best friend when living with me was black, later his business partner was black, and his current girlfriend is Pilipino. I've socialized and gone out to dinner with neighbors that are Japanese and Iranian, my maid is from El Salvador and married to an Indian, and recently I've been spending time with a black guy who's girlfriend is white and we've gone out to dinner many times.

In my condo complex of 100 units, there are about 10 mixed race relationships with some married and some dating.

Then if there are business social events in the Silicon Valley, it's impossible that there aren't mixed races at the events and social clubs have plenty of mixed races.

Last edited by Michael; Apr 14th 2015 at 7:00 pm.
Old Apr 14th 2015, 6:40 pm

From a 2012 study..

The Houston region is now the most racially and ethnically diverse large metropolitan area in the United States, surpassing the New York metro area, acccording to a new analysis of Census data.

The study, based on an analysis of 1990, 2000 and 2010 Census information, was produced by Rice University's Kinder Institute of Urban Research and Hobby Center for the Study of Texas.
Unquote

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.