Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

How "Foreign" is the USA ?

How "Foreign" is the USA ?

Old Apr 11th 2015, 5:29 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How "Foreign" is the USA ?

Originally Posted by WJS
Agreed, very strange indeed! Perhaps it has to do with what they perceive as freedom and democracy so no censorship? In my opinion not only is it a blight on the area some of them are very inappropriate in my opinion. I have seen the Jesus ones as well and also one with a man and young boy in camouflage. They are hideous!

When we were there last we passed by a Hooters and my husband asked my father what that meant because surely it couldn't mean what he thought it did.
Along the same lines as sex shops and strip shows in the conservative, supposedly "Christian" states, I believe statistics mostly show that divorce rates are significantly lower in the "liberal" northeast than in the Bible Belt.
Old Apr 11th 2015, 5:54 pm
WJS
Forum Regular

WJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Along the same lines as sex shops and strip shows in the conservative, supposedly "Christian" states, I believe statistics mostly show that divorce rates are significantly lower in the "liberal" northeast than in the Bible Belt.
Agree with your comments and hate so many things about the southern culture (being one I can say that ) but having lived in Boston in the past I know where I would rather live.

The people are SO friendly and the service that we encountered was excellent not to mention the food and sunshine.

But sadly would love to change many things.
Old Apr 11th 2015, 7:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I find conservatives to be very hypocritical, they want others to live one way, and then do the very things they don't want others to do.

My mom's side of the family is divided and split because of politics, all are from deep red Texas, but my grandfather left at 18 for California, so my mom and her 2 brothers were all born and raised in California, and grandfather became a liberal blue California politician....lol

I've never been a fan of the south, some parts that I have been too, kind of scared me how backwards things seemed to be. (these were small southern towns, not large city's which might be nicer parts of the south.)

Driving through rural deep south eastern Texas in the late 90's to attend a funeral was a shock to this California raised teen (I was 16 at the time) I had never experienced that kind of town before, and it was concerning that the clan actually had billboards, not sure if they still do, but it was certainly a weird thing to see.
Old Apr 11th 2015, 8:02 pm
WJS
Forum Regular

WJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest it sounds to me you could be describing any small town anywhere in the USA bar California perhaps.
Old Apr 11th 2015, 9:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WJS
To be honest it sounds to me you could be describing any small town anywhere in the USA bar California perhaps.
KKK?
Old Apr 11th 2015, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

Springy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud of

We've just arrived back from our school/home finding trip. As a teacher in the UK, I thought we were badly funded but one school we visited was so pleased to tell us that they no longer have chalk boards in the classroom, they have OHPs and visualisers - equipment my classroom got rid of 10 years ago!
Old Apr 11th 2015, 10:37 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
KKK?
Kim, Kourtney, Khloe.
Old Apr 11th 2015, 11:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

The town I had to drive through was Jasper, TX and they had plenty of racist billboards back in the late 90's. (No clue if they still permit this there.)

It was also just after the linked event had happened there, I won't lie that I as a little concerned about going through there, but didn't stop, just got through as quick as possible.

Murder of James Byrd, Jr. - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

They apparently still don't bury blacks and whites in the area of the cemetery and have it segregated still.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/22/us...are-again.html

The deep south can be a scary place if your not white.
Old Apr 11th 2015, 11:31 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
The town I had to drive through was Jasper, TX and they had plenty of racist billboards back in the late 90's. (No clue if they still permit this there.)

It was also just after the linked event had happened there, I won't lie that I as a little concerned about going through there, but didn't stop, just got through as quick as possible.

Murder of James Byrd, Jr. - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

They apparently still don't bury blacks and whites in the area of the cemetery and have it segregated still.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/22/us...are-again.html

The deep south can be a scary place if your not white.

I hope most people would not judge Texas on towns like Jasper.

It's true that there are still separate cemeteries but a big reason is a lot of them are small cemeteries that are more church related.

This is how my small town is. There is one cemetery for Catholics and another for Baptist then just out of town where the old Mount Zion church is which has a mainly black congregation the cemetery is right by it.

Not sure where we will be buried, the backyard maybe
Old Apr 11th 2015, 11:44 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
I hope most people would not judge Texas on towns like Jasper.

It's true that there are still separate cemeteries but a big reason is a lot of them are small cemeteries that are more church related.

This is how my small town is. There is one cemetery for Catholics and another for Baptist then just out of town where the old Mount Zion church is which has a mainly black congregation the cemetery is right by it.

Not sure where we will be buried, the backyard maybe
I don't blame the whole state. I know places like Austin, and probably Dallas, and Houston are pretty much like any other city. And of course not all small towns are like Jasper.

Now I don't like Texas in general but I don't dislike it because of this town. The climate is the biggest reason I dislike the place, either hot and dry, or hot and humid...lol
Old Apr 12th 2015, 1:01 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I don't blame the whole state. I know places like Austin, and probably Dallas, and Houston are pretty much like any other city. And of course not all small towns are like Jasper.

Now I don't like Texas in general but I don't dislike it because of this town. The climate is the biggest reason I dislike the place, either hot and dry, or hot and humid...lol
I like, or rather tolerate Texas. The more we explore it the more I like it.
It is so large and so different. West Texas, and the mountains are probably my favorite. Wild open and uninhabited.
Old Apr 12th 2015, 2:05 am
Forum Regular

TopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know where you eat but there are plenty of mixed race/ culture families and friends that eat out together in the Houston area. I find it very odd that you said this

Where do you eat?
Nothing odd about it Sugarmooma, as I said it is how I perceive it

We eat at various places,mainly West Side, anywhere from Perry's to Panda Express
Old Apr 12th 2015, 3:36 am
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

.....Wild open and uninhabited.
Like so many minds in Texas...
Old Apr 12th 2015, 3:46 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by steveq
Like so many minds in Texas...
Really?
Old Apr 12th 2015, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

I think steveq was using sarcasm mode!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.