Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

House Guests - How long is too long?

House Guests - How long is too long?

Old May 10th 2007, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: House Guests - How long is too long?

Originally Posted by Ray
Never had a great problem with friends or relatives ...
They all know I am not a soft touch ...
All visitors pay for the priviledge of staying here
even have a web site telling them the fees for everything ...
See, that's where I've been going wrong... I was just saying last night that they're treating the place like a hotel! I should charge them as if they WERE staying at a hotel!! Just for that... no smilies... Thanks Ray!
Old May 10th 2007, 8:01 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CitySimon
See, that's where I've been going wrong... I was just saying last night that they're treating the place like a hotel! I should charge them as if they WERE staying at a hotel!! Just for that... no smilies... Thanks Ray!
I even have a special rate for BE members ...

Double the normal rate ...
Old May 10th 2007, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

lolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
My mum used to come over for several months at a time. She would regularly shrink my clothes, drop flour and sugar all over the kitchen, break things and misplace her traveller's cheques. Sometimes my nerves would be about to to snap. On the other hand, she would look after my kids during summer when I was working, take them to the swimming pool and bake cookies and cakes, etc.

Parents aren't house guests, they are part of the family. Grin and bear it. My mum's not here anymore, and I would love to see my kitchen smeared with flour again.
My Mum's not here anymore and I agree with you, but when she did stay with us it would be difficult listening to all her family tales. Now we all wish we had listened to her and would give my right arm to have her here just for a day. But we never think of that at the time.
Old May 10th 2007, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

It depends who your guests are.

My parents both visit for 2 weeks at Christmas but by the end of the first week my Dad starts getting restless. There's not much to do in NJ in the winter because it's too cold, and he hates to go shopping. I love it when my Mum comes over on her own as she just mucks in with whatever we're doing. She says she doesn't come over to be entertained she just wants to see us and spend time with her grandchildren. I wouldn't mind my Mum staying with us as long as she wanted but I'm sure my Dad wouldn't be too pleased. Last spring my Aunty (Mum's sister) and Uncle came over with my Mum and we all had a fantastic time for 12 days, they can come back anytime for as long as they like.

My very best friend and her family come over for 2 weeks and spend Monday to Thursday visiting places and then we all do something together at the weekend. It gets a bit hectic with 2 families living together but I love it.

When my mother in law and father in law visited for 2 weeks a couple of summers back I seemed to wait on them hand and foot and felt as if I was running a hotel. In the end I sent them off to Atlantic City for a couple of days. Even though I was at the end of my tether with them when they were here I am actually looking forward to them visiting again next year

So, our general rule is 2 weeks ..... except for my Mum.
Old May 11th 2007, 12:58 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

I am not embellishing at all when I say that the pool looked like it was full with bubble-bath!
Take my word on this, years from now you will howl with laughter at that! It's just a pool, for goodness' sake, it's not the end of the world. I hope you took photos to have a giggle at later on.

Originally Posted by Texas Mom
Three weeks is too long for my dad he needs to do something, when he was here last year he painted the inside of my garage, needless to say he's staying home this time which I am both happy and sad about at the same time.
My garage needs painting.
Old May 11th 2007, 1:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Texas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond repute

My garage needs painting. [/QUOTE]

I'll tell him, maybe he'll change his mind!
Old May 11th 2007, 1:42 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

We've currently got my parents over staying with us... No problem you say... they've been here for four weeks and have one more week to go!

My wife and I have already had a "discussion" that in future no visitor will be allowed to stay for longer than two weeks MAXIMUM... But, it's far to late for this one.

We've had several huge blow up arguments in the last three weeks, mostly revolving around our four month old (their first granddaughter) and our girl has been picking up on the stress which has completely destroyed her sleep pattern (she currently waking up every 50 minutes throughout the night... bliss).

I came home last night and found that my dad had been starting to get the pool ready for summer... This is a guy who's sole experience with pool pumps was when his watch was accidentally sucked into one while he was on holiday in Spain... For a start, the pump was running with no water in it (he just figured he'd plug it in ) and he'd put enough (random) chemicals into the pool to bleach skin white!! :curse: He nearly got thrown out onto the street for that trick.

We came to an agreement last night that he DOESN'T TOUCH MY POOL EVER AGAIN!!!

Basically, on top of everything else, my parents are the kind of people who think that while I've been in America (four years at the end of May) I've been in stasis, twiddling my fingers waiting for people to come over for me to spring into life.

Anyway, enough of that... Obviously we all expect people from Britain coming over to visit... How long is too long for a visit and what do we do to "persuade" people that they really don't want to stay any longer than that?

Maybe I just need to convince my parents not to come and visit us any more!!
I go with the American 2 night rule myself.

Before the USC's say they've not heard of it...I've heard it mentioned on TV several times.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; May 11th 2007 at 1:47 am.
Old May 11th 2007, 2:50 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

One night. Unless they are completely unrelated and have big tits.
Old May 11th 2007, 3:04 am
Illinois Rapscallion

Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute

5 minutes would be too long in this house .....they build hotels for people who want somewhere to sleep ...

I've already informed all my UK friends they can piss off if they think they can come to the USA and find a few weeks free abode ....

The step daughter has been told no more sleep overs with her poncy American friends ...I'm the king in this castle and a miserable one I am too
Old May 11th 2007, 11:46 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Circus-of-Power
5 minutes would be too long in this house .....they build hotels for people who want somewhere to sleep ...

I've already informed all my UK friends they can piss off if they think they can come to the USA and find a few weeks free abode ....
The step daughter has been told no more sleep overs with her poncy American friends ...I'm the king in this castle and a miserable one I am too

They must have been devastated! But I understand, you must have had herds of people wanting to see Eureka IL.
Old May 11th 2007, 12:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

We've currently got my parents over staying with us... No problem you say... they've been here for four weeks and have one more week to go!

My wife and I have already had a "discussion" that in future no visitor will be allowed to stay for longer than two weeks MAXIMUM... But, it's far to late for this one.

We've had several huge blow up arguments in the last three weeks, mostly revolving around our four month old (their first granddaughter) and our girl has been picking up on the stress which has completely destroyed her sleep pattern (she currently waking up every 50 minutes throughout the night... bliss).

I came home last night and found that my dad had been starting to get the pool ready for summer... This is a guy who's sole experience with pool pumps was when his watch was accidentally sucked into one while he was on holiday in Spain... For a start, the pump was running with no water in it (he just figured he'd plug it in ) and he'd put enough (random) chemicals into the pool to bleach skin white!! :curse: He nearly got thrown out onto the street for that trick.

We came to an agreement last night that he DOESN'T TOUCH MY POOL EVER AGAIN!!!

Basically, on top of everything else, my parents are the kind of people who think that while I've been in America (four years at the end of May) I've been in stasis, twiddling my fingers waiting for people to come over for me to spring into life.

Anyway, enough of that... Obviously we all expect people from Britain coming over to visit... How long is too long for a visit and what do we do to "persuade" people that they really don't want to stay any longer than that?

Maybe I just need to convince my parents not to come and visit us any more!!
Hmmm I knew there had to be a downside to UK folks getting 5 or six weeks holiday - and my future in-laws are retired. Yikes.

I know I'm having a family of five for 2 weeks this summer - and I'm actually quivering at that thought. I love them dearly, and am glad they're coming.... but FIVE of them... I just get worn out.

I'm with you on the pool - I HATE people "helpfully" messing with stuff and then wrecking it. If I want to help someone at their house, I think it's courtesy to ask first, just just do stuff (unless it's washing dishes or something basic).
Old May 11th 2007, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond repute

In my experience there will always be some tension because of the typically long time between visits.
You don't see each other for months or years at a time.

Then you think, they should stay for at least 2 weeks even a month because you have been apart for so long.

Then the tension sets in because they are trying to cram in quality time with you and your family that they have missed on a daily basis and it's overwhelming!

Then the issue of children, again they miss out on so much so want to spoil the kids and change the routine cause that's what grandparents do.

The pool thing, I imagine that they were just wanting to feel productive and useful. They come over and are out of there element and familiar surroundings and need to feel useful as everything is strange to them.

It's a complicated situation most of us have experienced in some way im sure but for me the little annoyances can go by the wayside, I value any time I get with my folks especially as they are now aging, even the crazy times.

No matter how much they might piss me off, I will miss them when they are gone.

Last edited by Tbag; May 11th 2007 at 2:18 pm.
Old May 11th 2007, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Tbag
In my experience there will always be some tension because of the typically long time between visits.
You don't see each other for months or years at a time.

Then you think, they should stay for at least 2 weeks even a month because you have been apart for so long.

Then the tension sets in because they are trying to cram in quality time with you and your family that they have missed on a daily basis and it's overwhelming!

Then the issue of children, again they miss out on so much so want to spoil the kids and change the routine cause that's what grandparents do.

The pool thing, I imagine that they were just wanting to feel productive and useful. They come over and are out of there element and familiar surroundings and need to feel useful as everything is strange to them.

It's a complicated situation most of us have experienced in some way im sure but for me the little annoyances can go by the wayside, I value any time I get with my folks especially as they are now aging, even the crazy times.

No matter how much they might piss me off, I will miss them when they are gone.
I agree!

When my parents have come over it's always been for a month, the long flights to the west coast and jet lag are harder on older folks, so one long trip a instead of fewer shorter ones make sense. No problems with them being here, my mum loves to do laundry and ironing, in fact is happiest when ironing. On the other hand, it's way more difficult when we go over there.
Going back into the parental home, and getting parented....
That said, it'll be interesting later this year when the parents get their green cards and are staying with us until they get sorted and find a house to buy -
could be months.....
Old May 11th 2007, 3:43 pm
Illinois Rapscallion

Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
They must have been devastated! But I understand, you must have had herds of people wanting to see Eureka IL.
The corn fields are at there best this time of year ...its a must see ....another couple of months and you can see naff all ...the corn gets in the way ...
Old May 11th 2007, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
One night. Unless they are completely unrelated and have big tits.
So I take it you're into men in the middle of gender reassignment as well as animals with udders! Good to keep your options open...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.