Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

House Guests - How long is too long?

Wikiposts

House Guests - How long is too long?

Old May 11th 2007, 9:17 am
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: House Guests - How long is too long?

Originally Posted by CitySimon
We've currently got my parents over staying with us... No problem you say... they've been here for four weeks and have one more week to go!

My wife and I have already had a "discussion" that in future no visitor will be allowed to stay for longer than two weeks MAXIMUM... But, it's far to late for this one.

We've had several huge blow up arguments in the last three weeks, mostly revolving around our four month old (their first granddaughter) and our girl has been picking up on the stress which has completely destroyed her sleep pattern (she currently waking up every 50 minutes throughout the night... bliss).

I came home last night and found that my dad had been starting to get the pool ready for summer... This is a guy who's sole experience with pool pumps was when his watch was accidentally sucked into one while he was on holiday in Spain... For a start, the pump was running with no water in it (he just figured he'd plug it in ) and he'd put enough (random) chemicals into the pool to bleach skin white!! :curse: He nearly got thrown out onto the street for that trick.

We came to an agreement last night that he DOESN'T TOUCH MY POOL EVER AGAIN!!!

Basically, on top of everything else, my parents are the kind of people who think that while I've been in America (four years at the end of May) I've been in stasis, twiddling my fingers waiting for people to come over for me to spring into life.

Anyway, enough of that... Obviously we all expect people from Britain coming over to visit... How long is too long for a visit and what do we do to "persuade" people that they really don't want to stay any longer than that?

Maybe I just need to convince my parents not to come and visit us any more!!
New baby & a 5 week stay does give a lot of potential for grating nerves! I totally empathize with you (been there, done that).

I love my mum dearly but I know after a few days we get on each others nerves. She always wants to clean, iron ("tsk tsk Danielle, you don't iron the children's socks!" etc etc) and for years, it pissed me off. I took it as a criticism of my housekeeping and parenting.

I did learn to grit my teeth through it & then I began to learn & realise that she wasn't being an intefering busybody but she genuinely knew how busy my life was & was trying to help me.

I haven't seen her for 4 years so I am longing for a visit. I KNOW after 4 years, we will annoy each other after a few days but I am going to do my utmost not to be a bitch but remember I don't have many visit lefts with her & so I must make the most of the time I have with her.
Old May 13th 2007, 8:40 am
In Orange County, CA.

cybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CitySimon
We've currently got my parents over staying with us... No problem you say... they've been here for four weeks and have one more week to go!

My wife and I have already had a "discussion" that in future no visitor will be allowed to stay for longer than two weeks MAXIMUM... But, it's far to late for this one.

We've had several huge blow up arguments in the last three weeks, mostly revolving around our four month old (their first granddaughter) and our girl has been picking up on the stress which has completely destroyed her sleep pattern (she currently waking up every 50 minutes throughout the night... bliss).

I came home last night and found that my dad had been starting to get the pool ready for summer... This is a guy who's sole experience with pool pumps was when his watch was accidentally sucked into one while he was on holiday in Spain... For a start, the pump was running with no water in it (he just figured he'd plug it in ) and he'd put enough (random) chemicals into the pool to bleach skin white!! :curse: He nearly got thrown out onto the street for that trick.

We came to an agreement last night that he DOESN'T TOUCH MY POOL EVER AGAIN!!!

Basically, on top of everything else, my parents are the kind of people who think that while I've been in America (four years at the end of May) I've been in stasis, twiddling my fingers waiting for people to come over for me to spring into life.

Anyway, enough of that... Obviously we all expect people from Britain coming over to visit... How long is too long for a visit and what do we do to "persuade" people that they really don't want to stay any longer than that?

Maybe I just need to convince my parents not to come and visit us any more!!

OMG, poor you. Horrible, I think I could just about stand having anybody, family or otherwise for about 5 days, not weeks!!! Even my OH gets on my wick after 5 days solid. My exs mother came to stay with us once and spent one day when i was at work digging up all the boarder plants i had put in in clumps to make it look "natural" and replanting them into regimented, measured distances apart in the flower bed....that and the (I kid you not) 6.30 am vacuuming ....... not a stress free week (week, did you hear that, not 5!) I hope you sort it out. I am guessing this is the first grandchild?? Maybe you could invent little tasks they could do to keep them occupied, sweeping the yard, cleaning the car, ironing??? Good luck.
Old May 13th 2007, 3:29 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

My Mum just left after nearly 4 weeks here.

The problem is that some visitors are "on holiday" and want your undivided attention, to be driven all over and pandered to every minute. Very exhausting.
Old May 13th 2007, 3:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally
My Mum just left after nearly 4 weeks here.

The problem is that some visitors are "on holiday" and want your undivided attention, to be driven all over and pandered to every minute. Very exhausting.
4 weeks? That's sounds like tough going.
Old May 13th 2007, 3:37 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
4 weeks? That's sounds like tough going.
Can I get a BE Blue Peter badge?
Old May 13th 2007, 3:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

But when's the next time you'll see her Sal ?
Old May 13th 2007, 3:41 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by britvic
It could be a while...we're not going back this year.
Old May 13th 2007, 3:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Diamond encrusted even....
Old May 13th 2007, 3:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Difficult isn't it? Many of us only appreciate our parents once they are gone.
Old May 13th 2007, 3:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

It's been four years since I've had any contact from mine, still miss them
Old May 13th 2007, 3:51 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Depend on their will .....
I'm looking forward to 500 bath towels and 500 pairs of womens shoes
Old May 13th 2007, 3:52 pm
Account Closed

Do you think you will reconcile?
Old May 13th 2007, 3:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I know Vic. It's their loss...remember that my friend.
Old May 13th 2007, 3:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Do you think you will reconcile?
I'm always hopeful, even if it is only for my Son.
Old May 14th 2007, 12:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

I'm always hopeful, even if it is only for my Son.
Oh I'm sorry, that is so sad. I hope it works out in time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.