Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

House Guests - How long is too long?

House Guests - How long is too long?

Old May 14th 2007, 12:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: House Guests - How long is too long?

Speaking of relatives and vacations...

I'm having my best friend (family of five) for two weeks this summer. I love them, but after that I know I'll be exhausted.

Plus, I have this very old dog who falls easily, and I'm not sure how we'll manage at the summer cottage (stairs).

Now.... I have an email from my cousin, who I haven't seen in years and years. Announcing that she and her husband and two boys (who I've never met) want to come stay with me right after the first batch of guests.

I'm trying to decide what on earth to say - the cottage was in our family since our grandparents, but it ended up I'm the one who inherited it. So I generally try to accomodate family when I can. But omg... a group of strangers right after a big group leaves, and two kids running around - I'm afraid the old dog will get flattaened.

Plus, that "might" be when Keith comes over, if we're very lucky.

The timing just couldn't be worse, but I hate to say no also...
Old May 14th 2007, 12:30 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
I'm trying to decide what on earth to say -...
Be reasonable $10 a night per person to offset costs ...
Old May 14th 2007, 12:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Be reasonable $10 a night per person to offset costs ...
lol no kidding. Wish I could. Actually, my friends are lovely that way, they buy groceries and all, so they're no problem - very good guests in every way.

The cousin would not I'm sure. But it's really not the money - it's the chaos level. Wimpy me - I live alone at present, and am not used to trampling herds of people running around all the time. So two batches in a row.... I dunno about this...
Old May 14th 2007, 12:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

lol no kidding. Wish I could. Actually, my friends are lovely that way, they buy groceries and all, so they're no problem - very good guests in every way.

The cousin would not I'm sure. But it's really not the money - it's the chaos level. Wimpy me - I live alone at present, and am not used to trampling herds of people running around all the time. So two batches in a row.... I dunno about this...
best to get them all gone in one go than just recover from the first lot and then the second lot arrive! Infact get them all to come at the same time then they all muck in together and it can be quite fun really!
Old May 14th 2007, 12:58 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Tell them no...it's not convenient.
Old May 14th 2007, 12:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Deedee13
best to get them all gone in one go than just recover from the first lot and then the second lot arrive! Infact get them all to come at the same time then they all muck in together and it can be quite fun really!
OMG not enough beds LOL. Or leave them all to it - and I'll go run and hide!
Old May 14th 2007, 1:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You're probably right, I'd sure like to. But the fact that it was the family cottage is making me feel guilty - like I'm being selfish.

Perhaps I'll have to see if I can figure out how LONG they think they're coming for... few days would be ok, few weeks though...
Old May 14th 2007, 1:04 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

You're probably right, I'd sure like to. But the fact that it was the family cottage is making me feel guilty - like I'm being selfish.

Perhaps I'll have to see if I can figure out how LONG they think they're coming for... few days would be ok, few weeks though...
Why put yourself through all this? You haven't seen them for years...tell them no. Alternatively give them the keys and tell them you expect the place to be left as it was found...clean and tidy.
Old May 14th 2007, 1:06 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

[QUOTE=Jerseygirl;4778355]Why put yourself through all this? You haven't seen them for years...tell them no. Alternatively give them the keys and tell them you expect the place to be left as it was found...clean and tidy.[/QUOTE]

That's what I would do.
Old May 14th 2007, 1:11 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Why put yourself through all this? You haven't seen them for years...tell them no. Alternatively give them the keys and tell them you expect the place to be left as it was found...clean and tidy.[/QUOTE]

That's what I would do.
I certainly wouldn't put myself through the mill about it.
Old May 14th 2007, 1:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

[QUOTE=TouristTrap;4778378]
Why put yourself through all this? You haven't seen them for years...tell them no. Alternatively give them the keys and tell them you expect the place to be left as it was found...clean and tidy.[/QUOTE]

That's what I would do.
Thanks guys. I suppose it's hard to explain, or maybe I'm being silly. But I've always been welcome at any of the cousin's, any time. And I have gone and stayed with some of them, although it's been a long while. So that side of the family kind of operates that way. I really wouldn't mind, if the timing weren't so bad.

And I understand the theory - but no way would I give them the keys and trust them in the place alone. I just wouldn't. I shudder to think.

Oh well, I guess I'll figure it out. I just figuratively went "Waaaah" when I opened that email this morning.
Old May 14th 2007, 5:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Texas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond repute

I with you on this one JG!
Tell them that Keith is coming for sure even if it's not finalized. I'm sure they'll understand as you don't see him that often just now.
Old May 14th 2007, 6:17 am
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Just tell them that you would love to have them, but you have no vacation time left over. I'm sure they know what mean vacation times we have over here. So could they arrange maybe next year or sometime never.
Old May 14th 2007, 6:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by joto
Just tell them that you would love to have them, but you have no vacation time left over. I'm sure they know what mean vacation times we have over here. So could they arrange maybe next year or sometime never.
Unfortunately, they know I tend to be up there all summer. Good idea otherwise.