Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

House Guests - How long is too long?

House Guests - How long is too long?

Old May 10th 2007, 4:37 am
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: House Guests - How long is too long?

Don't get me wrong, I do miss all of my family from England and the extended period of this stay was more down to them having not yet seen their granddaughter so it's really more of an exception than a rule.

Five weeks is a long time to have people staying in your house though and we won't be repeating that mistake again.
Old May 10th 2007, 4:41 am
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irn-bru
...Nice to have a rant to get it off your chest then maybe you can all make up before they go home
Right now everything is going ok (apart from the pool thing) and I fully expect that by the end of the visit all of the earlier arguments will be forgotten.

</RANT>
Old May 10th 2007, 5:30 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Old May 10th 2007, 5:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CitySimon
We've currently got my parents over staying with us... No problem you say... they've been here for four weeks and have one more week to go!

My wife and I have already had a "discussion" that in future no visitor will be allowed to stay for longer than two weeks MAXIMUM... But, it's far to late for this one.

We've had several huge blow up arguments in the last three weeks, mostly revolving around our four month old (their first granddaughter) and our girl has been picking up on the stress which has completely destroyed her sleep pattern (she currently waking up every 50 minutes throughout the night... bliss).

I came home last night and found that my dad had been starting to get the pool ready for summer... This is a guy who's sole experience with pool pumps was when his watch was accidentally sucked into one while he was on holiday in Spain... For a start, the pump was running with no water in it (he just figured he'd plug it in ) and he'd put enough (random) chemicals into the pool to bleach skin white!! :curse: He nearly got thrown out onto the street for that trick.

We came to an agreement last night that he DOESN'T TOUCH MY POOL EVER AGAIN!!!

Basically, on top of everything else, my parents are the kind of people who think that while I've been in America (four years at the end of May) I've been in stasis, twiddling my fingers waiting for people to come over for me to spring into life.

Anyway, enough of that... Obviously we all expect people from Britain coming over to visit... How long is too long for a visit and what do we do to "persuade" people that they really don't want to stay any longer than that?

Maybe I just need to convince my parents not to come and visit us any more!!
First mistake was to even let them stay for five weeks.

Second, how long do you/would you stay at your parents when visiting the UK? If it's as long as five weeks, then it's only fair you put up with them for that long too.

In my experience, friends/family are welcome to stay. Friends can stay up to two weeks and even then, I expect them to chip in for food (either buying it or paying me for it). With my parents, I wouldn't ask them to pay.
Old May 10th 2007, 5:54 am
sun lover

sambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CitySimon
Don't get me wrong, I do miss all of my family from England and the extended period of this stay was more down to them having not yet seen their granddaughter so it's really more of an exception than a rule.

Five weeks is a long time to have people staying in your house though and we won't be repeating that mistake again.

When we moved over here we ended up 5 minutes away from my sister (she married a usc and has been here for about 10 years) solves the problem as when mom and dad visit, they split the time between us. I get them for 2 weeks, she gets them for 2 weeks.

Doesn't help however when the in-laws visit. For some reason my sister doesn't want them at her place,

Having said that, I don't care who it is, after a few days of having visitors in your house, it starts to get intrusive. Nice to see them, nice to see them go!!!!
Old May 10th 2007, 5:57 am
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

Oh let me recount just one of the moments of fun and frivolity that occurs when my dad comes over...

The Wedding Rehearsal Dinner. We had a couple of black ladies whose brother worked with my wife do some catering for us. All was going great until the dishwasher broke and flooded the kitchen. I handed Dad a mop and said I was just checking the basement to make sure the water hadn't leaked through. As I'm walking back upstairs I hear these immortal words:

"It's alright love, they've only bought me over here as a slave"

Mrs Titchski was mortified. I went back to the basement while my mum went ballistic at him
Old May 10th 2007, 5:58 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

it depends on the relationship regardless if it's family or friends. now if it was my mum and dad they could move in, no probs with that. it's always good to remember patience is a virtue esp with aging parents.

one good thing about living in houston, no one in their right mind would come here on vacation
Old May 10th 2007, 6:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Texas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond repute

My folks were here last year for three weeks, which was long enough in a good way. Everybody needs their space and living under the same roof as your parents is not natural after having moved out of the family home many years ago.

My mum and my niece are coming in July for three weeks and I'm really looking forward to it. There will be loads for them to do in the summer and my mum is a fantastic help around the house. Three weeks is too long for my dad he needs to do something, when he was here last year he painted the inside of my garage, needless to say he's staying home this time which I am both happy and sad about at the same time.

At least they come at decent times of the year unlike my outlaws, the month before Christmas when the pool is out of bounds and everything is closed for the season. Maybe I'll just never get used to having them around.
Old May 10th 2007, 6:39 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Love having my parents over. They usually stay 2-3 weeks.

I always hit the 4-day blow-up at them mark. Usually after that it's gravy, although they do seem to drop crumbs everywhere.

I do find I'm parenting them a bit now, definitely. What do they call us? The sandwich generation? We're parenting our kids and our parents.
Old May 10th 2007, 7:15 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Never had a great problem with friends or relatives ...
They all know I am not a soft touch ...
All visitors pay for the priviledge of staying here
even have a web site telling them the fees for everything ...
Old May 10th 2007, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz

That said... I'm going to encourage my parents to come and stay with us for extended periods of time over their winter when we move to NZ. The huge difference there will be that they won't be reliant on me for transport! They don't and won't drive in the US.
Certainly the way my mum and I work thats the key thing. Thinking about having her visit me in the States where she wont drive does bring about thoughts that just wouldnt arise if I knew we were somewhere she could potter off and do her own thing.
Old May 10th 2007, 7:28 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: House Guests - How long is too long?

Originally Posted by Ray
Never had a great problem with friends or relatives ...
They all know I am not a soft touch ...
All visitors pay for the priviledge of staying here
even have a web site telling them the fees for everything ...
Won't get many visitors with that big wet tongue hanging out. scary!
Old May 10th 2007, 7:31 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
Won't get many visitors with that big wet tongue hanging out. scary!
I'm in Florida .... they never stop coming .....
Old May 10th 2007, 7:41 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
I'm in Florida .... they never stop coming .....
That'll be the tongue!
Old May 10th 2007, 7:43 am
Ray

Originally Posted by dbj1000
That'll be the tongue!
I knew somebody would get it .... lol....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.