Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Home and garden projects

Home and garden projects

Old Jan 18th 2016, 1:39 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home and garden projects

Originally Posted by Boiler
Never mind, you can watch them next week, .....
That'll likely be the last chance to see them this season!
Old Jan 18th 2016, 3:19 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Does North Carolina have a team?
Old Jan 18th 2016, 3:28 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Does North Carolina have a team?
Half a team, apparently.
Old Jan 18th 2016, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newadventure
Thanks Pulaski
RE: thermostat - i was told that if there were more than 3-4 deg between room temp and set temp, the aux heating would come on and as this is by heated wire, you would lose any savings made due to lowering the temp. i think i will use the timer to drop it by a couple of degs when no-one is in the house but leave it running the whole time.
RE: microwave - it is plugged into the mains circuit in the kitchen, so that means that the whole circuit must be shared with the lighting circuit. I assume they ran out of breakers but i will check. Also will check upgrading to a 20A breaker - i hadn't thought of that
If you are considering going to a 20 amp breaker be sure the circuit in question has all 12g wire. Many lighting circuits use 14g and should be protected by no more than a 15 amp breaker.
Old Jan 18th 2016, 8:57 pm
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

So I decided a couple of weeks ago to slap a bit of lipstick on the pig that is my kitchen.

Biggest change is the countertops, getting rid of the cr@p laminate and replacing with a decent butchers block.
As always, nothing seems to go to plan - came to remove the countertop expecting it to be screwed/brackets... nope, just a sh!te load of construction glue. Same for the backsplash, which caused a couple of smaller holes in the dry wall... not to worry, I'm planning on tiling over that, anyway!

So I bought a reciprocating saw and sawed the edges off the laminate and have screwed the new countertop on top, looks great. Bit of moulding to hide any blemishes, and the previous counter was too low so it all worked out.

I've gone to look at the tiling and just realized that there are a couple of plug sockets (switch plates removed). So how on earth does one 'bring forward' the socket so that it sits flush with the tiles once they're on there? Any ideas fellow BE'ers?

Last edited by username.exe; Jan 18th 2016 at 8:58 pm. Reason: Broken picture link
Old Jan 18th 2016, 8:59 pm
Account Closed

You can buy add ons, not sure what the term is to bring the box forward, they come in different depths.
Old Jan 18th 2016, 9:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

You can buy add ons, not sure what the term is to bring the box forward, they come in different depths.
I can't remember the name either "extender" maybe? Loiter in the electrical aisle of HomeDepot until someone helps you. Only trick will be making sure they are properly grounded once moved out as they might get their grounding from being screwed to the original metal box.
Old Jan 18th 2016, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by username.exe
.... I've gone to look at the tiling and just realized that there are a couple of plug sockets (switch plates removed). So how on earth does one 'bring forward' the socket so that it sits flush with the tiles once they're on there? Any ideas fellow BE'ers? .....
Longer screws, that's all.

Disconnect the power, unscrew the sockets top and bottom - you can remove them entirely if you're going to replace them, otherwise just tuck them end-in to the back box. Then tile around the hole, making sure that the tile is very close to the edge of the box and the screw holes, then screw the sockets back in place using the longer screws.

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
..... Only trick will be making sure they are properly grounded once moved out as they might get their grounding from being screwed to the original metal box.
No, at most it would be the other way around, the metal box is grounded to the wire in the cable. A metal box nailed to a 2×4 does not make a good ground!
You can? I have never seen any for sale, and I have certainly never seen any installed, though I have seen many "sunken" boxes behind tile or additional drywall layers.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 18th 2016 at 9:34 pm.
Old Jan 18th 2016, 9:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Longer screws, that's all.

Disconnect the power, unscrew the sockets top and bottom - you can remove them entirely if you're going to replace them, otherwise just tuck them end-in to the back box. Then tile around the hole, making sure that the tile is very close to the edge of the box and the screw holes, then screw the sockets back in place using the longer screws.
The advantage of using an extension (beyond potentially being a code violation to not use one) is that it protects the intervening wall from the outlet should it spark or over heat. The extension cost only a couple of dollars.
Old Jan 18th 2016, 9:34 pm

it protects the intervening wall from the outlet should it spark or over heat. ....
He should probably use fire resistant tiles as well then!
Old Jan 18th 2016, 9:37 pm
Account Closed

Flammable tiles?
Old Jan 18th 2016, 9:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You can? I have never seen any for sale, and I have certainly never seen any installed, though I have seen many "sunken" boxes behind tile or additional drywall layers.
You don't look very hard do you.

Raco Add-a-Depth Switch Box Ring-976 - The Home Depot

I used a couple a while back when I added some beadboard/wainscotting which is quite obviously combustible and must be protected. In the above example it isn't clear what material the exposed wall opening is made of. To be safe it should be protected.
Old Jan 18th 2016, 9:47 pm

I used a couple a while back when I added some beadboard/wainscotting which is quite obviously combustible and must be protected. In the above example it isn't clear what material the exposed wall opening is made of. To be safe it should be protected.
Interesting. You are correct. I will make sure to find some for when I next need them. ..... Most of not all the time I have seen sunken boxes it is behind drywall and tile, thankfully.
Old Jan 18th 2016, 10:38 pm
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

You don't look very hard do you.

Raco Add-a-Depth Switch Box Ring-976 - The Home Depot

Nice one, thanks chaps. Looks like it's another trip to HD. Tiling problems incoming next weekend.
Old Jan 23rd 2016, 9:42 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Ok Guys..... I am incredibly pleased with myself right now...

I have just added some kerfed weather sealing to the outside of my back door!!! No more cold draughts, yay!!

I had to figure out what I could do to seal the gaps up. I'd never heard of this procedure called weather stripping so I went and bought some new stick on insulation stuff. This wasn't wide enough for the gaps, so then I bought some of those sticky things you put on the corners but all that did was create gaps where they ended...

So then, I started googling and realised that my old door didn't have this stuff around the frame called kerfed weather stripping so I investigated that. Managed to buy some white aluminium strips to match the door. I've just spent 2 hours, measuring, cutting (needed to buy a hacksaw - do you have any idea how many different ones of those there are??) and then drilling (with an electric drill no less) the screw holes to get everything in place.

No more light shining through, no more draughts. This woman who has done very, very little diy is very proud of herself.

Next project is wiring up a timer to the garage light since we all seem to leave the lights on in there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.